5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED TAILIGHT BAR

Bcryan

Reaction score
Has anyone installed these on a 2019-2020 1500? The position you would normally install these with 3M backing is not flat on our trucks. Are there models out there that have brackets or screw in that are decent quality?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most use opt7 redline triple or putco light bars. They will be installed with spacers due to non flat surface. Do a search and you will find a few large threads with plenty of info and pics.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went with Opt7(48 inch version) and it mounts perfectly, no spacers or extra parts.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I just ordered this one:

I wanted one that was flexible so I could mount it flat side down and not against the bed. I have the MFT so traditional mounting would be messy. I went with the Wigbow based on Amazon reviews.

Bcryan

Reaction score
I just ordered this one:

I wanted one that was flexible so I could mount it flat side down and not against the bed. I have the MFT so traditional mounting would be messy. I went with the Wigbow based on Amazon reviews.

i don’t think that will work on your truck because the adhesive will not cover the surface correctly... thanks guys for the input

Tred's

Reaction score
I read a while ago, on this site or another Ram site, a member used Velcro on the bed with matching Velcro on the back of the light bar. He stated it made it easy to remove (& replace) when needed.

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
I read a while ago, on this site or another Ram site, a member used Velcro on the bed with matching Velcro on the back of the light bar. He stated it made it easy to remove (& replace) when needed.

That would work with a light bar that is flexible. That wont work with a solid/straight light bar as the points of contact between the velcro and the bed would be extremely minimal.
That is, unless they modified the rear panel, which I believe is also possible.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Like the graphics (y) and dam your tails are bright!!!

Thanks! I went with LASFIT LEDs for my break lights. Very bright, even with the smoke tint I added to the light cover.

which bar did you get? is it plug and play or do you have to splice?
[/QUOTE]

Wigbow 60" LED Tailgate Light Bar and used the CURT 55384 Trailer Wiring Harness to power it.

The CURT plugs in to the back or the back of the trailer power plug and gives you a 4-pin connector to power the light bar so no splicing. The light bar has an additional red wire used for the reverse light. I used a yellow POSI-TAP to connect the light bar's red wire to the middle white wire on the CURT. I didn't have to remove the break light and tap into the factory wiring (which I think is what most folks have been doing).

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
how did you guys get around the wire harness for the back up cam coming out the bottom of the tailgate and into where you need to mount the light bar?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how did you guys get around the wire harness for the back up cam coming out the bottom of the tailgate and into where you need to mount the light bar?
You need to use spacers underneath the mounting clips. IIRC I used 1/2" spacers on outside clips and 1/4"spacers on the inside clips. You also need to mount bottom of the light bar flush to top of bumper to avoid clearance issues when opening tailgate.

Babs

Reaction score
You need to use spacers underneath the mounting clips. IIRC I used 1/2" spacers on outside clips and 1/4"spacers on the inside clips. You also need to mount bottom of the light bar flush to top of bumper to avoid clearance issues when opening tailgate.

Hello,
Can you show a picture of the iirc mounting clip or include link to purchase them.
thanks Jeff

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
Can you show a picture of the iirc mounting clip or include link to purchase them.
thanks Jeff
Clips are included with the opt7 bar. Purchased 1/4 and 1/2" spacers at home depot

Here is up close picture of clip with spacer on back of light bar.
95465ef670252c18d6b01f97b9b0c8ac.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It's only 48 inches so it doesn't have to curve as much as the 60 inch at the ends so it sits flat on the plastic piece under the tailgate. I used these about 6-8 inches from the end. Put a drywall screw through the middle to hold them on with the adhesive and then used a small cable tie to hold the bar in place that way it's easy to remove if need be. Also used my curt adaptor from my previous Ram and wired the reverse lights in with a bullet connector again for easy removal if required.

Pics of the bar are on my thread, Post 25.

Users who are viewing this thread