5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED reflector headlight questions

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a set of the OEM LED reflector headlights from a member here and now have some questions. I did a bunch of searching and couldn’t find the answers.

1. I realize that there probably is no way to replace any bulbs on these for the DRL or turn signal, but are the high or low beam lights replaceable if need be? Or are these just a full sealed headlight assembly.

2. What are the specs on the low and high beam lights on these. Wattage, color etc. Reason I ask is I’d like to buy some bulbs for the fogs.

3. I ordered the plug and play adapters from retroshop for the install. Is this the best and easiest way to install these on my halogen equipped truck?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't have answers to most of your questions, but I was told that none of the bulbs are replaceable on these headlights. I haven't looked into it myself because I have no reason not to believe them. Didn't know that until after buying the truck, so I figured I'd address that issue if/when I need to. I really like these headlights, especially compared to what I had on my previous truck. But requiring the customer to replace the entire headlight assembly if a headlight burns out is asking a lot.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't have answers to most of your questions, but I was told that none of the bulbs are replaceable on these headlights. I haven't looked into it myself because I have no reason not to believe them. Didn't know that until after buying the truck, so I figured I'd address that issue if/when I need to. I really like these headlights, especially compared to what I had on my previous truck. But requiring the customer to replace the entire headlight assembly if a headlight burns out is asking a lot.

Agreed, and it’s something I didn’t think of at all until after I bought them. I assume for you guys that have them from factory they are only covered under the bumper to bumper warranty too. For people like me that are adding them we are not covered at all.

Georgf

Reaction score
Recently I changed halogen lights for LED on my truck, one had to be taken apart to change the glass with a crack. firstly, it is impossible to change the LED without disassembling, but inside you can replace the board on which it is installed, if necessary. But it is very difficult to disassemble the headlight, the sealant does not soften with the help of a hot air gun, you have to carefully cut it with a multi-tool along the edge of the headlight. Consider that the headlight cannot be repaired, it is easier to buy another one on ebay.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Forr the replies, pretty much answers that questions.

So for people who have made the change from halogen to LED’s, what bulb did you go with for your fog lights to match up? I am considering the Lasfit LCplus h11 that is 50w and 6000k color. I have no idea what the color is considered on the OEM LED lights so any help there is appreciated

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Headlights seem very white to me. 6000k might be a little too blue to match. But hey, my eyesight isn't what it used to be LOL.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think 6000K will be close enough that you can't tell. They're the "typical" Bright White coloring. If you can find 5500K I think that'd be the closest.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Wait, so for us that have the factory LED headlights, we can't change the bulbs? We have to change out the entire headlight assembly?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

@ olivegreen, yeah unfortunately it sounds that way

Wsmith

Reaction score
Thanks Forr the replies, pretty much answers that questions.

So for people who have made the change from halogen to LED’s, what bulb did you go with for your fog lights to match up? I am considering the Lasfit LCplus h11 that is 50w and 6000k color. I have no idea what the color is considered on the OEM LED lights so any help there is appreciated
I originally went with GTR ultra's, but had second thoughts and pulled them. The fog lights are exposed at the back, I cant see how a fan operated open heat sink could survive in an open environment, salt, water, snow and ice. I am going back to halogens (amber). I don't want nothing electrical exposed in that position.

Georgf

Reaction score
Wait, so for us that have the factory LED headlights, we can't change the bulbs? We have to change out the entire headlight assembly?
That’s right. There are no bulbs in OEM headlights, LEDs are placed firmly on the board inside the lamps. You can only charge control module, it’s located under the lamps, if it will not work.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally went with GTR ultra's, but had second thoughts and pulled them. The fog lights are exposed at the back, I cant see how a fan operated open heat sink could survive in an open environment, salt, water, snow and ice. I am going back to halogens (amber). I don't want nothing electrical exposed in that position.

Great point and one of the things I have been thinking about as well. I know there is no dust cap on the fog housings so how will they hold up in the elements. Anybody with experience on this please chime in. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread