5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Map Light Issue

Atlantahank

Reaction score
Good day, looking for some help. I switched all my interior lights to LED on my previous RAM and it all went well. I did the same for my new RAM (2020 Big Horn Crew Cab) and everything appeared to work fine, all the footwell, glove compartment, dome and vanity mirrors lights work perfectly. The issue is with the two map lights in the overhead console. First they are a real PIA to change but I tested them in the garage and they worked just fine. Open the door, they come on, turn them on/off manually and they worked fine. HOWEVER... this evening I started the truck and lo and behold, they won't shut off. I read on the forums that it may be a loose fuse or connection but I checked those and they seem fine (several fused were less than tight). For now I just unplugged the connector, rear dome light works as it should but obviously no map lights. I checked the rheostat on the dash to adjust brightness as well as the cargo light and they are turned off. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :unsure:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a couple of troubleshooting tips.

1. remove the LED's one at a time and see if either are the culprit.
2. Reinstall the original bulbs.

Shives

Reaction score
The circuit track on the overhead map lights is very sensitive to movement. Most folks actually pull that map light down improperly and ruin the assembly by breaking tabs, or mashing circuit tracks. Take it all back apart, (2 8mm screws, move the two patches, then pull front down out of tab holder) once you have the assembly down the proper way, disconnect both harnesses. Remove LED bulbs, check tracks (silver lines) make sure they are not touching. May take a bit of looking. Some LED bulbs will jump the connections due to being to large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/