5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Bulbs vs Replace Assemblies

U

User_34235

Agreed. It’s illegal (but rarely enforced) to run bulbs in a housing they weren’t designed for, as it can cause a ridiculous amount of glare (especially with these ultra-bright LEDs). It’s just blinding and dangerous, especially in traffic.

So a properly-designed bulb for the specific housing, a complete replacement housing, or an OEM unit are all good options. A random LED headlight bulb might work, and it may be cheap, but it is equally likely to be much worse than the halogens.
You are spot on in everything you wrote. I have the halogen headlights and swapped out the bulbs with Lasfit LED'. Now I can see ALL over the road really well, however the drivers coming the other way hate me and I do get flashed quite often. I am swapping them out this week with a set of aftermarket LED projector headlamps so hopefully the blinding people will end.

Last edited by a moderator:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn and I didn't realize how bad the halogen headlights were until I already owned the truck. Has anyone replaced the bulbs with LED's and have input as to whether the recoemmdn this approach? Or, has anyone replaced the lights with projects and have inputs as to whether they recommend this approach? Your feedback is appreciated...
you sure yours are adjusted correctly? I have a 21 and the lights are bright. Yea I would prefer the LED but the halogens do just fine.

U

User_34235

I am pretty sure they are not adjusted correctly as I heard they should be at the 3 and 9 position and I have no idea where mine are in that respect. I like the output of them but I do know that I need to do something to fix them as I have been flashed a couple of times already.
As for the halogens, I just could not accept their poor output. I know some people are ok with them, but for me I needed to be able to see better.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Upgraded to Lasfit 6k, all bulbs. Don’t get flashed at all, but do know they need adjusting after my level a few weeks ago.
Love the look of the stock LED’s, but know they are some $$$ when they go bad. If truck came with them, then oh well, cool. But seeing as the North Package is LED tails with halogen lamps, it is what it is. Would probably end up aftermarket if I upgrade the upgrade down the road.
Some have had different experiences with changing just the bulbs, also depends on your states laws on LED’s, if any. Set up correctly, you will achieve desired outcome.
I can tell you that 6k is stooopid bright. 3k will be more forgiving to oncoming traffic. There are also some high output halogen bulbs that are pretty bright.
Good luck.

U

User_34235

MikeyHo808....I agree with the 6K bulbs being crazy bright and perfect in my opinion for the truck. I didnt custom order my truck but love almost everything on it as it is, except the halogen lights. I have always been a fan of HID and now LED as I think they are a lot better than the halogen bulbs.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Upgraded to Lasfit 6k, all bulbs. Don’t get flashed at all, but do know they need adjusting after my level a few weeks ago.
Love the look of the stock LED’s, but know they are some $$$ when they go bad. If truck came with them, then oh well, cool. But seeing as the North Package is LED tails with halogen lamps, it is what it is. Would probably end up aftermarket if I upgrade the upgrade down the road.
Some have had different experiences with changing just the bulbs, also depends on your states laws on LED’s, if any. Set up correctly, you will achieve desired outcome.
I can tell you that 6k is stooopid bright. 3k will be more forgiving to oncoming traffic. There are also some high output halogen bulbs that are pretty bright.
Good luck.
based on what I have read on here and with the part numbers provided, they are only about $600 each online which isn't expensive at all.

U

User_76295

Good luck.
The Kelvin (k) rating is just referring to the color temperature, not the brightness.
E.g. factory RAM headlights are probably between 5500 - 6000k, yellow fog lights are ~3000k

Brightness is going to be your lumens or your lux readings

If you're getting flashed after putting new ones in, plus a level, you probably just need to aim the housings down

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

EJ84

Reaction score
based on what I have read on here and with the part numbers provided, they are only about $600 each online which isn't expensive at all.
Can you please post the part number? Amy chance you have the # for the fog lights also?

Thanks

bonce

Reaction score
I purchased a set of LED low beams from Amazon, hikari or something like that. I replaced the fog lights and high beams with LED from Autozone. Light output was much better. I put about 2500 miles on them, the majority at night. I maybe got flashed 3 times? Just installed a level tonight at work. Didnt have time to adjust my lights. Got flashed a lot on the way home, but no noticeable difference in down range distance, so I'll have to adjust down asap. I did set the LEDs to the position it recommended in the instructions.

NRitland2

Reaction score
you sure yours are adjusted correctly? I have a 21 and the lights are bright. Yea I would prefer the LED but the halogens do just fine.
Exactly right- I think the halogens are plenty bright for my application and the truck.. for me putting money elsewhere in the truck made sense!

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly right- I think the halogens are plenty bright for my application and the truck.. for me putting money elsewhere in the truck made sense!
I am still undecided if I actually want to upgrade my lights. I just like the look of the LED's vs the halogens. But the halogens are bright as is.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't got my truck yet but am getting plenty of ideas for upgrades from you guys. I was thinking why not change the high beam to LED so I have the extra lighting when I need it and keeping halogens in the low beam?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MikeyHo808....I agree with the 6K bulbs being crazy bright and perfect in my opinion for the truck. I didnt custom order my truck but love almost everything on it as it is, except the halogen lights. I have always been a fan of HID and now LED as I think they are a lot better than the halogen bulbs.
My daily drive from work to home at night is 50-60% dark, 2 lane freeway, sometimes more when sections of newly installed LED street lamps are all out. The difference in visibility was realized immediately, and I would never go back to halogens ever again. Am gonna change out the halogens in my van as well, just because.
Do know alot of folks on here who have gone the LED bulb route, have upgraded to LED housings, OEM or otherwise. I have achieved positive results from the upgrade, so will roll with it for a bit.
They are pricey, but the LED housings completely change the front end look of these trucks for the better. If I ever get a deal on new housings, I'm jumping!

The Kelvin (k) rating is just referring to the color temperature, not the brightness.
E.g. factory RAM headlights are probably between 5500 - 6000k, yellow fog lights are ~3000k

Brightness is going to be your lumens or your lux readings

If you're getting flashed after putting new ones in, plus a level, you probably just need to aim the housings down

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Thank you for clarifying that.
Have not actually gotten flashed yet, even after the level, but had them pointed at a big white wall at work one night, and they are just a tad high. Have adjusted once already prior to the level, so hopefully still have some room left to go down some.

rwo978

Reaction score
Reading up on retrofits for halogen to led. Lots of comments on low beams, high beams, and fog lights.

However, what is everyone using for front/rear turn, brake, and reverse? Trying to research performance vs price, as you get too expensive on bulbs and it’s probably more economical to go with an entire aftermarket led housing.

Thanks!!

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Reading up on retrofits for halogen to led. Lots of comments on low beams, high beams, and fog lights.

However, what is everyone using for front/rear turn, brake, and reverse? Trying to research performance vs price, as you get too expensive on bulbs and it’s probably more economical to go with an entire aftermarket led housing.

Thanks!!
Lasfit bulbs in everything you just asked. Plug and play, every one of them.

Joemama88

Reaction score
Hi Getting a 2024 big horn today with Halogen lights the 2024 did not offer the LED upgrade. First Ram and probably the first car without LEDs or HIDs since I was in high school. Was does everyone recommend to get the LED style projection without changing the whole Housing? Just looking for around 6000k in color and not to bright I am going to get pulled over. should I go with LED if so which brand or HID (Old school I installed on my 1995 Ford Explorer.)

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread