5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Bulbs vs Replace Assemblies

Kodiak1967

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn and I didn't realize how bad the halogen headlights were until I already owned the truck. Has anyone replaced the bulbs with LED's and have input as to whether the recoemmdn this approach? Or, has anyone replaced the lights with projects and have inputs as to whether they recommend this approach? Your feedback is appreciated...

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Putting LEDs in a halogen housing will improve lighting output for you but likely blind everyone else on the road. Without a projector, the light scatters and can't be properly aimed. Projector housings are a much more expensive option but better for everyone else you pass. Plus, they're more efficient and put light where you want it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn and I didn't realize how bad the halogen headlights were until I already owned the truck. Has anyone replaced the bulbs with LED's and have input as to whether the recoemmdn this approach? Or, has anyone replaced the lights with projects and have inputs as to whether they recommend this approach? Your feedback is appreciated...
There's a thread floating around here where the OP details his installation of Morimoto (sp?) replacement lights.

My son has a Big Horn on order with MD. (My Laramie has the LEDs.) When his arrives, we're going to compare the output and visibility. If it's insufficient, then we'll split the cost of the LEDs and swap them in. Not sure if that's going to happen...

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
@BluegrassMotorsport is right, I have AUXbeam bulbs in my assemblies and even aimed i get flashed alot, Ill be swapping to new full housings in spring to try to be a bit nicer to people but the cost of 60 bucks vs 700...if your not driving in city alot id say stick with bulbs

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, get a better bulb. My old 2016 F150 came with the lowest level dim Philips bulb. I swapped to the Philips extreme vision bulb and got awesome output, and a pure white light. Light output distance was a huge improvement too. If you still want the LED route, find an aftermarket projector housing for it. As stated by others, the Halogen housing are built and designed for halogen bulb output.

Reactions: c3k

Bob.

Reaction score
I changed out all my halogen bulbs with LEDs. Go to headlight Revolution website and watch videos then when you understand how to adjust the led bulbs to put light properly down range you will be very happy with the results. In a nut shell purchase the bulbs they already tested to work with your ram. Then clock the diode at 3:00 and 9:00 for proper adjustment. After they are working, you may need to adjust the aim as on my set of bulbs they were shining a bit higher that the factory bulbs.
The bulbs come with their own harness so they are plug and play. No cutting or permanent modifications. The bulbs run around $150 a set but your paying for great bulbs, and you already know you get what you pay for.
The light output is at least 2-3 times brighter, but they are true 6000k white light. Beautiful crisp light. You will be very happy with the results.

Bob.

Reaction score
Oh, I never get flashed. If you are, your lights are not set right or your aim is too high.
You must purchase LEDs that have diodes only on 2 sides. Then you must purchase the type of bulb that is clock-able to set the diodes at 3 and 9 oclock. Edit to add, the bulbs I went with are the Xenondepot H11 and 9005 @ $143.10 a pair ( almost 300 for full package)
Change the low beams thru inner fender, push liner out if the way. Hi beams you can reach from engine side on top. Yes the dust covers will be put back. Everything fits inside the headlight....

Last edited:

JCR1500

Reaction score
I replaced my 2020 Bighorn Sport factory bulbs with GTR Lighting Ultra 2s from HeadlightRevolution.com. I replaced the low and hi beams with the Ultra 2s and the turn signals with the GTR lighting switchback leds which will be white under normal driving then turn to amber for the signal. For all 3 sets it was $600 and it is plug and play. I did have an issue initially installing the hi beams from the engine bay as one got stuck in the socket. I ended up taking the grill apart and removing the housings and installing the low and hi beam bulbs on my bench which allowed me to clock the leds at 3 and 9 and the tuck all the wire in the housing nicely. Do not get intimidated taking the grill apart if you go that route. Headlight Revolution and Infotainment.com have great Youtube videos on this. The hardest part is getting the trim piece directly under the headlight to release where it meets the wheel well...after that everything is held in with push pins and about 12 bolts.

I do need to adjust my low beams because you will get flashed.

I may down the road upgrade to factory LEDs or Alpharex but right now $600 was better then $1200.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2017 Tradesman had dangerously bad low beams, high beams were okay. I upgraded the low beams with Sylvania Ultra for $50 and it was quite the improvement.

I considered OEM led housings for my current Ram but the price is stupid, even ones on eBay with "minor" damage are listed at $450 or more per side. Think I'll get the Ultra's again or splurge on the zXe for $70 and see how they work out.

U

User_76295

My 2017 Tradesman had dangerously bad low beams, high beams were okay. I upgraded the low beams with Sylvania Ultra for $50 and it was quite the improvement.

I considered OEM led housings for my current Ram but the price is stupid, even ones on eBay with "minor" damage are listed at $450 or more per side. Think I'll get the Ultra's again or splurge on the zXe for $70 and see how they work out.
I'm using the ZXEs in my truck and the Ultras in the wife's VW...can definitely see a difference in color. As good and bright as the Ultras are, they still have quite the yellow hue. The ZXEs are a lot closer to a white light.

You won't be disappointed with them

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

U

User_34235

I replaced my halogen bulbs with Lasfit LED bulbs and they are ridiculously bright, but they aim is WAY off. I didnt clock them at the 3 and 9 position. I decided to pick up a pair of Vland headlight LED housing and plan to put them on next week so I will let you know how they turn out.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I still don't understand why a truck that is priced at $40k can't come standard with LED headlamps or HID headlamps.

Because not everyone wants them. And the assemblies are very expensive to replace when they go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because not everyone wants them. And the assemblies are very expensive to replace when they go bad.

They are about $2000 a pair for the headlamps. That isn't expensive at all. and who doesn't want LED or HID headlamps when you can see 50X better and they look better. Should be standard on a $40K truck.

EJ84

Reaction score
I’m in the same situation with crappy halogens. Anyone have experience with RPM 956 bulbs?

silver billet

Reaction score
If you just swap in any old replacement LED bulb, you run the risk of blinding people; your headlights become "floodlights" and scatter light in every direction, they don't focus just on the road.

You can buy proper LED bulbs designed to go into our reflector housing, I didn't look hard but they are out there. These will attempt to focus the light on the road a little better.

I went the replacement LED housing, morimoto hybrid. The LEDs are laser focused down the road and as long as they are calibrated properly, you don't blind anyone. My thread is here:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
They are about $2000 a pair for the headlamps. That isn't expensive at all. and who doesn't want LED or HID headlamps when you can see 50X better and they look better. Should be standard on a $40K truck.

When you consider a halogen bulb is $10. It’s kinda expensive..

And it’s all subjective.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea once your have LED's you wont go back, I specifically ordered my bighorn with them. But I can see the cost factor too especially for feet owners who want to fix vehicles cheap. Eventually all vehicles will have them standard.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you just swap in any old replacement LED bulb, you run the risk of blinding people; your headlights become "floodlights" and scatter light in every direction, they don't focus just on the road.

You can buy proper LED bulbs designed to go into our reflector housing, I didn't look hard but they are out there. These will attempt to focus the light on the road a little better.

I went the replacement LED housing, morimoto hybrid. The LEDs are laser focused down the road and as long as they are calibrated properly, you don't blind anyone. My thread is here:
Agreed. It’s illegal (but rarely enforced) to run bulbs in a housing they weren’t designed for, as it can cause a ridiculous amount of glare (especially with these ultra-bright LEDs). It’s just blinding and dangerous, especially in traffic.

So a properly-designed bulb for the specific housing, a complete replacement housing, or an OEM unit are all good options. A random LED headlight bulb might work, and it may be cheap, but it is equally likely to be much worse than the halogens.

Users who are viewing this thread