5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED bed lights install under the tonneau cover (Not OEM)

aswetich

Reaction score
Looking to add LED bed lights under my tonneau cover. Not interested in spending a lot of cash and time on the Mopar OEM kit that doesn't provide as much light as other options out there. If possible, I don't want to hack wires or run a line all the way to the battery to get power. Using a switch or motion sensor in the bed would be fine. Ideally, it would be nice to have them go on when hitting the unlock button on the remote. Maybe installing a t-harness in the line powering the existing cargo light above the rear window or somewhere in the back of the truck?

I already ordered an ODB Link LX, Infotainment security by-pass, and Alpha ODB to enable the tailgate warning, so I do have access to some configuration changes if that helps.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Tyger trifold bed cover came with a battery powered led box that has light. I just stuck it on the side of the bed and when I need it, I just switch it on. I just kept it simple because it’s rare that I use the bed at night. Plus if I do something hard wired, I know that i would wire it bad to the point that it will be on all the time and trickle drain my battery.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI
I tapped into my trailer harness for power to my string LED bed lights and there is a ground on the frame.

I'm not sure if it is in the link above but some have tapped into wires for the cargo light to power bed lights.

I don't know how you feel about the reverse lights but many have added additional lighting, many options.
You may want to do both at the same time.

I ended up wiring a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch that in one position goes on with my reverse lights and in another position my bed lights and auxiliary reverse lights come on. This enables me to work on the tailgate and light the path behind the truck.

SEE POST 364 for write up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread