5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Led bed lighting power question

Dave L

Reaction score
Former Jeep owner now first time Ram owner and first time poster to this forum. I've read a lot of informative threads on here to make me confident that I can get good info here. Anyway my question is this. Id like to install some inexpensive LED strip lighting to my bed probably from Amazon or Walmart. Don't need anything crazy. I was wondering if I could tap into the wire that powers the cargo light on the third brake light assembly so as to be able to turn on/off from switch on dash? This way I can have both the bed lights and cargo light come on together with the dash switch. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Bluemountain

Reaction score
I did something like this, was planning on making a detailed post but here are some tips.
Start by replacing the cargo light bulb (white light on the rear top of cab) with a high intensity LED.
You will probably have to do that anyways to keep the trucks computer from shutting down the circuit when you add lights.
See if that is bright enough for you, I was surprised what a difference it makes all on its own.
Still, I added LED strip lights under the bed rails and wanted them controlled by the cab switch.
Yes, you tap into the cargo light wire (white with a tan trace).
Have your cables enter the cab beneath the drivers side rear floor, there is an oval shaped plug there.
Access the wiring in the cab,under the rigid plastic of the floorboard on the drivers side rear.

I really like this, its super bright and controlled by the switch in the cab and the key fob, it lights up when you hit unlock. Cost less than $50

Dave L

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I'd much rather use the dash switch then some cheap switch inside of bed. Could you tell me what type of LED light you used for both cargo light bulb replacement and in the bed? Thank you again

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did it that way in my old truck, and it was nice for a time. But then you realize those bed lights come on every time you unlock the truck, get out of the truck before locking it, etc, and you get tired of it. Had a cheap switch in the back of my Titan for 3 years, no issue. You can hide it up under the bed rail (no Rambox) to keep it out of most of the weather.

I used this kit on the Ram. So far so good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
I used this wiring Harness with a WP switch and relay. I mounted it in the plastic plug that the OEM lights actually go. I also have a Bed cover so it really doesn't get wet but in south Louisiana the humidity gets you.

Users who are viewing this thread