5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED aux lights/light bars, without drilling

STOKED

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to share a couple of ideas for folks who want to add light bars or aux lights to your truck without drilling into it. These are the three ways I went about it.

1. License plate bracket. You can fit 4 small aux lights or a 10" light bar here.

2. These universal mounts can go all over the place, but especially the hood. I mounted mine in the standard "ditch light" location. You could definitely put a 40" light bar on your hood with these and not have to drill anything. I've got a couple more in the mail that I plan on using in the bed for rear facing/reverse lights. Not 100% sure where they'll go yet.

3. Tow Hook location. If you don't have the tow hooks you can pop out the plastic, and with some creativity, use some of the holes in that location to mount aux lights. To clean up the hole you can use these factory tow hook bezels. https://www.amazon.com/Body-Style-Right-Bezel-Mopar/dp/B07RMJLWBL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=WSFW7D7HR62S&dchild=1&keywords=2020+ram+tow+hooks&qid=1588337761&sprefix=2020+ram+tow+h,aps,195&sr=8-2

The result

20200424_184622.jpg 20200425_134935.jpg 20200425_134943.jpg 20200425_212306.jpg

A related mod for installing the lights is wiring them through a relay to trigger with the High Beams. There's plenty of info online about how to wire the relay for that, but specific to this truck, you'll want to tap into the white wire with green stripe on the driver's side headlight for the trigger. Unfortunately, there are 2 wires with that color combo, so you'll need to figure out which is the right one to tap into. If they come on with the parking lights, you hit the wrong one. (ask me how I know)

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used the Vision X one on my Rebel with a 10 inch SRX Rigid lightbar. I had it on my previous Outdoorsman on a Smittybilt bar but it wouldn't fit on the Rebel because of the parksensors.

Post 26 shows lightbar.

Mike.M1367

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to share a couple of ideas for folks who want to add light bars or aux lights to your truck without drilling into it. These are the three ways I went about it.

1. License plate bracket. You can fit 4 small aux lights or a 10" light bar here.

2. These universal mounts can go all over the place, but especially the hood. I mounted mine in the standard "ditch light" location. You could definitely put a 40" light bar on your hood with these and not have to drill anything. I've got a couple more in the mail that I plan on using in the bed for rear facing/reverse lights. Not 100% sure where they'll go yet.

3. Tow Hook location. If you don't have the tow hooks you can pop out the plastic, and with some creativity, use some of the holes in that location to mount aux lights. To clean up the hole you can use these factory tow hook bezels. https://www.amazon.com/Body-Style-Right-Bezel-Mopar/dp/B07RMJLWBL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=WSFW7D7HR62S&dchild=1&keywords=2020+ram+tow+hooks&qid=1588337761&sprefix=2020+ram+tow+h,aps,195&sr=8-2

The result

View attachment 54586 View attachment 54587 View attachment 54588 View attachment 54589

A related mod for installing the lights is wiring them through a relay to trigger with the High Beams. There's plenty of info online about how to wire the relay for that, but specific to this truck, you'll want to tap into the white wire with green stripe on the driver's side headlight for the trigger. Unfortunately, there are 2 wires with that color combo, so you'll need to figure out which is the right one to tap into. If they come on with the parking lights, you hit the wrong one. (ask me how I know)

Nice Build! Im looking at the same license plate mount, how has it been holding up? I looked under my truck and the stock license plate mounting/screws seem pretty flimsy.

STOKED

Reaction score
Nice Build! Im looking at the same license plate mount, how has it been holding up? I looked under my truck and the stock license plate mounting/screws seem pretty flimsy.
Working great. I used longer bolts with nuts on the top 2 holes, so it’s not coming off.

Doc33

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The result

View attachment 54586 View attachment 54587 View attachment 54588 View attachment 54589

Looking to do similar install with the Baja lights in tow hook location...how did you mount the lights? I'm thinking of using the S1 lights. Any close up pics.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting links! I'd never seen the 'universal' ditch light brackets before, but that's a great option vs the price of hood brackets which then require sandwiching the hood bolts and cost significantly more - one suggestion - get some clearbra material and pop that under the bracket; even if it has a neoprene base, it'll vibrate enough to scuff the paint over time

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The result

i came from the dealship today on "where the headlight fuse"is at.i wanted to "PiggyBack"it with a "Add A Fuse".he didnt know either,so much for the dealer❗

STOKED

Reaction score
Looking to do similar install with the Baja lights in tow hook location...how did you mount the lights? I'm thinking of using the S1 lights. Any close up pics.
The S1's would work well there. I may swap my SAE squadrons with some amber S1 wide cornering in that location. The SAE's are disappointing.

I'll grab a pic for you tomorrow, but there's a perfect hole above so the you can mount it upside-down (bracket facing up), but you might need to get a smaller bolt with nut to fit in that hole.

Ccm12

Reaction score
The S1's would work well there. I may swap my SAE squadrons with some amber S1 wide cornering in that location. The SAE's are disappointing.

I'll grab a pic for you tomorrow, but there's a perfect hole above so the you can mount it upside-down (bracket facing up), but you might need to get a smaller bolt with nut to fit in that hole.
Did you run these to a seperate switch or tap them into the factor fog? Would love to see some install as have wanted to do the same but am unsure about need for bracket, wiring and switch in cab

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online