5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Aux Back-up Lights

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the back up lights and they are amazing!

Removed the trailer connector (as per @TNSmokee instructions) by pressing in the two tabs from behind and pushing out away from the truck. Installed the Curt Harness and pushed the plug back in until the tabs clicked. Measured for equal distance and mounted the lights with the double side tape. Ran and tie wrapped the wires up and to the passenger side of the spare. Wired the lights to the Towever plug using Blue (Pos) and white (ground). Secured the wires up and to the passenger side of the frame next to the spare.

Went this route as I didn't want to splice into any wires.

Parts:
1. CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness,Black (Amazon)
2. LUYED Super Bright 3020 6-EX LED backup Camera illumination system.NEWEST PATENT Auxiliary Reverse Light Enhances Backup camera performance at night.Solid state black SMD (Surface Mount Device) (Amazon)
3. Towever USA Style 5 Way Flat Trailer Wiring Connector Stecker, 9" Usable Electric Wire (Amazon)
4. Gorilla Tough & Clear Mounting Tape (already had this)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 186

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent write up! Good photos showing result too. Bravo!!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. That's exactly what I did with mine although I opted to position them lower on the frame vs the bumper.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a pic you can share for comparison?

Sure. I don't think there's an issue with either way. The tape seems to stay good and secure. I just didn't want to deal with it if I was removing it in the future. Mounted just to the side of where you hook up your safety chains on both sides.

6CFA7AAD-C979-4A82-8FFF-B552DADF33A8.jpeg

There's a similar thread w/ multiple people showing more pictures from how I installed them and also others to give you even more ideas!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI and entertainment.

Ccm12

Reaction score
Towever USA Style 5 Way Flat Trailer Wiring Connector Steck
Is the towever really needed? Couldn’t just the 5 plug harness on the curt be cut and the lights wired in that way? I am guessing (asking) if it would be the red light wires to the white and black light wire to blue?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the towever really needed? Couldn’t just the 5 plug harness on the curt be cut and the lights wired in that way? I am guessing (asking) if it would be the red light wires to the white and black light wire to blue?
You could cut the curt 5 plug off and wire directly, colors can't recall, but below is a link that might help.

see post #8

shrubs2000

Reaction score

you can, I just didn't want to cut into anything and will use this connection when I get the Putco dual blade lights in.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the back up lights and they are amazing!

Removed the trailer connector (as per @TNSmokee instructions) by pressing in the two tabs from behind and pushing out away from the truck. Installed the Curt Harness and pushed the plug back in until the tabs clicked. Measured for equal distance and mounted the lights with the double side tape. Ran and tie wrapped the wires up and to the passenger side of the spare. Wired the lights to the Towever plug using Blue (Pos) and white (ground). Secured the wires up and to the passenger side of the frame next to the spare.

Went this route as I didn't want to splice into any wires.

Parts:
1. CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness,Black (Amazon)
2. LUYED Super Bright 3020 6-EX LED backup Camera illumination system.NEWEST PATENT Auxiliary Reverse Light Enhances Backup camera performance at night.Solid state black SMD (Surface Mount Device) (Amazon)
3. Towever USA Style 5 Way Flat Trailer Wiring Connector Stecker, 9" Usable Electric Wire (Amazon)
4. Gorilla Tough & Clear Mounting Tape (already had this)
I like the setup you have done here. I tried searching Amazon for the 5 way flat trailer wiring connector, but cannot find one specifically for Towever. Can you please provide an actual link to the one that you purchased? I like the idea of not splicing wires as well.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the setup you have done here. I tried searching Amazon for the 5 way flat trailer wiring connector, but cannot find one specifically for Towever. Can you please provide an actual link to the one that you purchased? I like the idea of not splicing wires as well.

Any 5 way flat trailer wiring should be work.

Users who are viewing this thread