5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED 3rd brake light Camera to an external source???

Antnida

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently got my first truck/RAM product. I bought a CPO 2019 Laramie. I am considering upgrading the 3rd brake light to LED one and would like to know if the camera source can be viewed on an external monitor. Is there a product out there that will convert the digital camera signal to work with an RCA/analog input on an external backup monitor? (I am not interested in updating the rear view mirror at this time). Thanks.

Antnida

Reaction score
No, nothing yet.

I'll be the guinea pig for this project and see if it's possible :) because when I am towing my boat I can't really see much with the backup camera on the tailgate as it's too low.

So far I got the LED 3rd brake light, Dual input monitor, Backup camera. I don't think there will be any issue with the analog camera image being displayed on that external monitor.

For the digital camera that is already integrated into the LED 3rd brake light, I am planning on using this unit LinksWell Camera Adaptor.

Do you happen to know the pinout for the connector on the LED third brake light? I would like to know which pins are the power for the digital camera. This way I can bench-test everything before connecting and installing it onto the truck.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll be the guinea pig for this project and see if it's possible :) because when I am towing my boat I can't really see much with the backup camera on the tailgate as it's too low.

So far I got the LED 3rd brake light, Dual input monitor, Backup camera. I don't think there will be any issue with the analog camera image being displayed on that external monitor.

For the digital camera that is already integrated into the LED 3rd brake light, I am planning on using this unit LinksWell Camera Adaptor.

Do you happen to know the pinout for the connector on the LED third brake light? I would like to know which pins are the power for the digital camera. This way I can bench-test everything before connecting and installing it onto the truck.
There is no pinout for power. The power is provided all in the same FAKRA cable that provides communication. I'm not sure that interface will work because the camera is different than any other camera in the truck. From what I know, this is made by a third party for Ram and other manufacturers.

Antnida

Reaction score
There is no pinout for power. The power is provided all in the same FAKRA cable that provides communication. I'm not sure that interface will work because the camera is different than any other camera in the truck. From what I know, this is made by a third party for Ram and other manufacturers.

That's what I thought after removing the camera from the LED housing.

Another idea is to retrofit another camera in its place, that way I have one source for the cargo and another that point further up to see behind yhe boat.

Attachments

• 20230305_193725.jpg
    20230305_193725.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230305_193704.jpg
    20230305_193704.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 29

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see that your idea could work on a much smaller budget than the OEM solution.
However, it would be much cleaner, albeit more $$$, to buy the 2-channel digital rear-view mirror and a digital camera for your trailer(s).
Then you just switch to whichever camera you want to use on the mirror, CHMSL or the trailer camera.

Last edited:

Antnida

Reaction score
I see that your idea could work on a much smaller budget than the OEM solution.
However, it would be much cleaner, albeit more $$$, to buy the 2-channel digital rear-view mirror and a digital camera for your trailer(s).
Then you just switch to whichever camera you want to use on the mirror, CHMSL or the trailer camera.

I didn't want to loose the auto dimming feature, work at night and drive about 40 mile each way, I hate those bright head lights 😀

Antnida

Reaction score
The analog camera worked just fine with the external monitor. I'll follow ProjectsInMotion thread to install it. I'll work with the oem camera next.

Attachments

• 20230307_195908.jpg
    20230307_195908.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230307_195923.jpg
    20230307_195923.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 14

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't want to loose the auto dimming feature, work at night and drive about 40 mile each way, I hate those bright head lights
You won't lose it. edit: Yes you will on the side mirrors
Some just posted the settings to preserve the function.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You won't lose it.
Some just posted the settings to preserve the function.
He will because he has a 2019. 2019 and 2020 are installed differently then 2021+. But it is only on the side mirrors and I've not seen any issue with bright lights without dimming.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He will because he has a 2019. 2019 and 2020 are installed differently then 2021+. But it is only on the side mirrors and I've not seen any issue with bright lights without dimming.
Yeah, that's right. I forgot about the model year limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread