5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather wrapped steering wheel.

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
I seem to be leaving quite a few marks on my steering wheel leather.
Some of them seem to almost self-heal. I keep my keychain on my belt loop and it rubs sometimes when I exit the truck.
I try to keep my fingernails trimmed, but I have to be extra cautious when I turn corners so I don't leave scars.
Has anyone noticed this? It's no big deal,.......I just thought I'd share. LoL

Attachments

• 20210410_153240[1].jpg
    20210410_153240[1].jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 144

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I've done that on other vehicles I've owned. I used to keep my knife in my right front pocket until the first time the clip scraped and damaged the leather steering wheel in my previous vehicle when I was getting out of the car. Now I keep it in my left pocket. You just need to get used to being more careful around the steering wheel. So far I haven't damaged the steering wheel in my Laramie after a year and a half of owning it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like the steering, I think it looks great, but the leather kinda seems a little thin and "sticky" to me, even when it's clean. I don't feel confident in it's durability over the next few years.

The leather on our new Toyota feels substantially thicker and more durable.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Kovy23

Reaction score
I've had to replace the leather on my steering wheel twice now. Its a 2019 with 32,000 miles on it. Obviously not made from the best material.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've had to replace the leather on my steering wheel twice now. Its a 2019 with 32,000 miles on it. Obviously not made from the best material.

There have been threads about the leather on some steering wheels breaking down. Not sure if it's the same way on the higher trim levels. But I swapped a Longhorn wheel into my Laramie last year and the leather feels like it's higher quality on the Longhorn wheel than on my original Laramie wheel. Same with the wife's Limited steering wheel, it feels like the leather on the Longhorn wheel.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There have been threads about the leather on some steering wheels breaking down. Not sure if it's the same way on the higher trim levels. But I swapped a Longhorn wheel into my Laramie last year and the leather feels like it's higher quality on the Longhorn wheel than on my original Laramie wheel. Same with the wife's Limited steering wheel, it feels like the leather on the Longhorn wheel.

That's an interesting swap, have any pictures?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do. But I didn't do it for cosmetic reasons. It doesn't quite match my black interior, but at least it matches the knife I keep in the center console LOL...

View attachment 89016

Haha hey whatever works! Thanks for posting the pic, I think it looks kind of cool in there. Gives it some stark contrast. I currently have a 4th gen longhorn with a 5th gen on order, love the wheel in the 4th gen but really looking forward to the new one as well. I mostly use the wood parts to try to save on the leather, so I like its function too.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha hey whatever works! Thanks for posting the pic, I think it looks kind of cool in there. Gives it some stark contrast. I currently have a 4th gen longhorn with a 5th gen on order, love the wheel in the 4th gen but really looking forward to the new one as well. I mostly use the wood parts to try to save on the leather, so I like its function too.
That's exactly why I did it. I keep my hands on the upper wood section most of the time to keep the leather looking great. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't stumbled across the wheel from a very low mileage Longhorn for $160 shipped on ebay.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly why I did it. I keep my hands on the upper wood section most of the time to keep the leather looking great. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't stumbled across the wheel from a very low mileage Longhorn for $160 shipped on ebay.

Yep, that certainly works to keep the leather in good shape. And wow, I'm not sure what the steering wheel should go for but that sounds like an awesome deal.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I think you're right Mike. I have a Laramie as well but I drove a Rebel and Limited before purchasing but there's definitely a difference in the leather seats which probably transfer to the wheels as well. The leather in the Rebel and Limited seemed better/softer maybe than the Laramie. Also on our window stickers it says leather trimmed seats whereas on the Rebel and and Limited it says premium leather I believe. I'm sure it says it fort the Rebel and I'm guessing it's the same for Limited.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I think you're right Mike. I have a Laramie as well but I drove a Rebel and Limited before purchasing but there's definitely a difference in the leather seats which probably transfer to the wheels as well. The leather in the Rebel and Limited seemed better/softer maybe than the Laramie. Also on our window stickers it says leather trimmed seats whereas on the Rebel and and Limited it says premium leather I believe. I'm sure it says it fort the Rebel and I'm guessing it's the same for Limited.
Sorry it actually says luxury leather for the Rebel 12 instead of premium and the Limited is premium. I'm not sure if the difference but I tried looking up the difference before I purchased and I couldn't find any real answers...

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
For all my homies searching for this on the internet, I’m adding keywords a couple videos and some more pictures

swap steering wheel ram 1500 DT 2019 2020 2021

Video of some rando I found on the inter web:
<iframe width="351" height="197" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

B46DB2D6-2ED4-4252-A0C9-BF0B536EFED6.jpeg This is a photo of the side of the airbag. The little black arch is the pathway through the side of the steering wheel. The metal bar you see in focus just past the black arch is the spring clip holding the air bag to your steering wheel. You have to push this in far enough to clear the steering wheel hook. Once it is pushed in, you have to simultaneously pull the airbag toward you. Once one side is clear, do the same for the other side. The second side is more difficult, likely because the airbag is now at an angle. Don’t pull too hard on the airbag because it is connected to your vehicle.
5F1CD609-FCA0-4874-86F3-1CAEE21AED24.jpeg
E4FFCD61-8AC5-4FDD-A7C2-AE97F26B17DC.jpeg
message me if you have questions.

Par38lamp

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this information. It allowed me to swap my steering wheel to one with audio controls. 5th generation steering wheels do not have a replaceable rear bezel like my 4th gen 2016 did.

This was done on a 2020 5th gen RAM Tradesman with UConnect 3 (5" screen, 6 speakers, noise cancelling)

I have confirmed the swap works with the UConnect 3 (5") screen. Radio response is still dangerously slow, but now I don't have to take my eyes off the road for longer than I should to change something.

The eBay wheel (leather!) I purchased had heaters in it, but my clockspring did not have the wiring (expected). It did have an empty connector to plug it in.

20210727_115014.jpg
My Allen wrench is pointing to the spring rod you must push on
20210727_114944.jpg
Another view of the spring rod as viewed from the side

20210727_115041.jpg
The hole you use to insert a hex key (allen) to push on the rod. Do not use a pointed tool.

20210727_114102.jpg
The eBay wheel part number that had audio controls, leather, and heaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/