5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather Seat Protector?

grinch72

Reaction score
I know this is an issue in many cars with light interiors but since this is my first light interior, does anyone have any suggestions for leather cleaners/protectors to help with the color of blue jeans, etc rubbing off onto the seats??

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read numerous members on here that have the "white" leather changing colors from jeans etc. I don't see how you can prevent this.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do a quick search.. there is at least one ongoing thread where the guy has had his interior white leather replaced at least once if not twice...

grinch72

Reaction score
Do a quick search.. there is at least one ongoing thread where the guy has had his interior white leather replaced at least once if not twice...
Saw that but his seats were falling apart. The leather was coming off. Mine are fine outside of the color transfer. Also color transfer is a known issue from all makes from what I've found. Wish I went with black!

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an issue in many cars with light interiors but since this is my first light interior, does anyone have any suggestions for leather cleaners/protectors to help with the color of blue jeans, etc rubbing off onto the seats??
I have a vehicle with white interior and just got rid of one. Color transfer is impossible to stop. Best way to deal with it is take a damp cloth and wipe it every once in a while. It comes off easily and the damp cloth will not affect the leather. Just stay on top of it. It's ongoing maintenance unfortunately but the white leather is nice.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw that but his seats were falling apart. The leather was coming off. Mine are fine outside of the color transfer. Also color transfer is a known issue from all makes from what I've found. Wish I went with black!

Yes, but I thought there was some conversation as well about color transfer and options on how to control it as well.. my bad.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but I thought there was some conversation as well about color transfer and options on how to control it as well.. my bad.
No way to control it just have to manage it. Any dark pair of jeans will transfer color. Unavoidable.

Lablvr2

Reaction score
This stuff works great and I have used for years. I get it from local upholstery supply but you can find online too.

Attachments

• 20181230_075912.jpg
    20181230_075912.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 68

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had multiple light leather cars. You can’t stop it from happening but it is easily removed with a good leather cleaner and conditioner. I have used several brands including turtle wax and Lexol. If you keep up with cleaning and leather conditioning, you will not get the worn out seat bolster look that most people have either. My last truck had the light interior and 120k miles and seats still looked new. If you don’t keep them conditioned they will look cracked and worn in 20k miles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40

grinch72

Reaction score
so I recently learned you can ceramic coat your leather, similar to your paint. that supposedly prevents it. It is big $$$ though.

Truckin

Reaction score
I’ve had multiple light leather cars. You can’t stop it from happening but it is easily removed with a good leather cleaner and conditioner. I have used several brands including turtle wax and Lexol. If you keep up with cleaning and leather conditioning, you will not get the worn out seat bolster look that most people have either. My last truck had the light interior and 120k miles and seats still looked new. If you don’t keep them conditioned they will look cracked and worn in 20k miles.

Another seat bolster tip: Many years ago when I worked for a Mercedes dealer I commented to one of my clients that the seat bolsters on his five year old SL looked almost new (typically they were flattened by this time) his tip was to always remove your wallet and place it in the console-I have done this since and my seat bolsters have never had the 'flattened look'.

ramain

Reaction score
Are seats in a Laramie genuine leather or some kind of synthetic "leather"?

Owner's manual says :
"Please do not use polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or ammonia-based cleaners to clean your leather upholstery. Application of a leather conditioner is not required to maintain the original condition. "

Will those leather conditioners help on synthetic materials?

grinch72

Reaction score
Are seats in a Laramie genuine leather or some kind of synthetic "leather"?

Owner's manual says :
"Please do not use polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or ammonia-based cleaners to clean your leather upholstery. Application of a leather conditioner is not required to maintain the original condition. "

Will those leather conditioners help on synthetic materials?
I would hope they are real leather considering I paid for the “leather bucket seats” option. I’d be pissed if I paid for synthetic seats and they didn’t tell me they were pleather!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not necessarily synthetic, but certainly chromium tanned.... it won't need much in the way of maintenance. However, keeping it clean (use product of choice, but something mild like a saddle soap) and an occasional wipe down with conditioner/oil will certainly not hurt it.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The conditioner works. I would pay no attention to the manual stating that. I have never heard that before. Keeping the seat conditioned keeps it soft and eliminates the cracking, and worn out look.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I will let yall in on a cheap secret lol

Use 3m SCOTCH GUARD spray(walmart has it) on your suade part of you seats. On the the leather use leather conditioner then any shoe LEATHER protectant spray/liquid.

If you have CLOTH or all suade seats go to town with the scotch guard. It's the best. I use it on all my shoes, hats, furniture ect.

When cleaning just use a damp rag/cleaner then re apply scotch gaurd.

Users who are viewing this thread