5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather problem

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2019 rebel with 8k and yesterday I look at my hand after making a left turn and notice little black pieces on my hand I look up and the leather just came off the wheel- let me answer some questions before you respond lol
- no I didn’t have anything on my hand brake cleaner gas ect
- no I don’t wear a ring to damage the wheel
- no I don’t use any cleaners on it
- yes Dodge Ram sucks
- it’s been in the shop a lot lately I’m thinking the techs had something on there hands as they have caused damage before look at the pics

Attachments

• 2E98CF4F-4713-4B0A-917A-AB25F29CAD0C.jpeg
    2E98CF4F-4713-4B0A-917A-AB25F29CAD0C.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 117

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There has been a few threads about leather delamination on the steering wheel. FCA should cover under warranty, dealer will most likely need to submit with pictures to get approved.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Brandon, there have been some concerns (a few) posted about the steering wheel covering, you might search for them. Just take it in and state your case. The last post someone had was a slice on their wheel cover that a tech likely did.

Curious why you feel “Dodge RAM sucks” on your 5th post. Usually the “Ford sucks”, “Chevy sucks”, “RAM sucks” et all is from the under 21 crowd that doesn’t get that mass-production can have issues. If you’ve had multiple issues, post up about them. Lots of owners here have dealt with things and can either point you in the right direction or offer other info.

How’s the Rebel as far as overall power, off-road performance and (shudder) fuel consumption? Is yours mostly stock? What truck are you coming from that you are comparing with? Signature details?

Hope that you get a satisfactory resolution to your issue, it’s not good that a $60K purchase should start to age poorly. Steering wheel covering isn’t a real wear item like say tires.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
If you’ve had it in recently ie: since this Covid-19 , the techs wipe the steering wheel down with a cleaner before and after they do anything with it .

Reaction score
Brandon, there have been some concerns (a few) posted about the steering wheel covering, you might search for them. Just take it in and state your case. The last post someone had was a slice on their wheel cover that a tech likely did.

Curious why you feel “Dodge RAM sucks” on your 5th post. Usually the “Ford sucks”, “Chevy sucks”, “RAM sucks” et all is from the under 21 crowd that doesn’t get that mass-production can have issues. If you’ve had multiple issues, post up about them. Lots of owners here have dealt with things and can either point you in the right direction or offer other info.

How’s the Rebel as far as overall power, off-road performance and (shudder) fuel consumption? Is yours mostly stock? What truck are you coming from that you are comparing with? Signature details?

Hope that you get a satisfactory resolution to your issue, it’s not good that a $60K purchase should start to age poorly. Steering wheel covering isn’t a real wear item like say tires.
- I just came from a 2015 ram 2500 , before that a 2014 Chevy 1500 all star ( brand new ) before that a 2008 Ford F-250 king ranch and currently own a 2004 Ford 350 LE-and 2013 Ford Escape and the list goes on so to answer your question I do understand mass production, 2014 was the all new Chevy as well, I had one problem in 3 years of ownership . You always asked what other problems I had -
Headliner clip and center was sagging
Water leak from rear light
Loose ball joints
Loose sway bar links
Rattling exhaust
Bad shifter had to be replaced
Both A pilers came loose and had to be replaced
A loose dash board that made a loud rattle and they said the bolts came loose ,
And currently the noise is back( picture the noise of a old school type writer in your dash the whole time ) and as mentioned above the steering wheel , this is all within 8 months of ownership under 7k
- yes the truck is completely stock

Reaction score
There has been a few threads about leather delamination on the steering wheel. FCA should cover under warranty, dealer will most likely need to submit with pictures to get approved.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Thank you it’s going in tomorrow

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
- I just came from a 2015 ram 2500 , before that a 2014 Chevy 1500 all star ( brand new ) before that a 2008 Ford F-250 king ranch and currently own a 2004 Ford 350 LE-and 2013 Ford Escape and the list goes on so to answer your question I do understand mass production, 2014 was the all new Chevy as well, I had one problem in 3 years of ownership . You always asked what other problems I had -
Loose ball joints
Loose sway bar links
Rattling exhaust
And currently the noise is back( picture the noise of a old school type writer in your dash the whole time ) and as mentioned above the steering wheel , this is all within 8 months of ownership under 7k
Thanks for the reply. As it appears you have been through various makes and models, yes it could be that this truck wasn’t put together really well.

Without having access to service records or inspections it’s hard to know what or how the loose suspension components have come about, what they did to repair, was it warrantied etc.

There have been threads about water leakage and rattling dashes in the past, various fixes. Haven’t heard of the sagging headliner issue on a 2019 model.
Was the A-pillar the trim piece that came loose and got replaced?

I can understand that you aren’t happy with the quality of the Rebel you have. Other than pushing the dealer service department to fix while under warranty, guess you could go back to another make. You seemed to have gotten good service out of the 2014 Chevy, (although that was the time of the notorious “Chevy shake‘, wasn’t it? Maybe see what a good used one costs now.

Are you past the warranty? Are you past then 1 year for a lemon-law? Have you asked RAM Cares to intercede with the dealer?
Just trying to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Loose ball joints
Loose sway bar links
Rattling exhaust
You had a '14 "all new" Silverado and didn't have the vibration issue that GM still has not solved? Sure.....

STR

Reaction score
‘19 w/8K miles, then W a r r a n t y. All vehicles have issues. While it’s an inconvenience, this will be covered.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As it appears you have been through various makes and models, yes it could be that this truck wasn’t put together really well.

Without having access to service records or inspections it’s hard to know what or how the loose suspension components have come about, what they did to repair, was it warrantied etc.

There have been threads about water leakage and rattling dashes in the past, various fixes. Haven’t heard of the sagging headliner issue on a 2019 model.
Was the A-pillar the trim piece that came loose and got replaced?

I can understand that you aren’t happy with the quality of the Rebel you have. Other than pushing the dealer service department to fix while under warranty, guess you could go back to another make. You seemed to have gotten good service out of the 2014 Chevy, (although that was the time of the notorious “Chevy shake‘, wasn’t it? Maybe see what a good used one costs now.

Are you past the warranty? Are you past then 1 year for a lemon-law? Have you asked RAM Cares to intercede with the dealer?
Just trying to help.
It’s funny , someone else just said something about the Chevy shake , I never had that, never even actually heard about it . So yes they clips in the A pillars where damaged they said it was install incorrectly ‍♂️ And far as the loose ball joints when I get my truck back I will take a picture of the service record for that problem and attach it , it’s in my glove box - so far they have fixed everything under warranty, we will find out today if they fix the steering wheel today . And no I’m not out of the lemon law stage , Corporate is telling me because none of these issues affect the drive ability they won’t replace the truck

tyresmoker

Reaction score
It’s funny , someone else just said something about the Chevy shake , I never had that, never even actually heard about it . So yes they clips in the A pillars where damaged they said it was install incorrectly ‍♂ And far as the loose ball joints when I get my truck back I will take a picture of the service record for that problem and attach it , it’s in my glove box - so far they have fixed everything under warranty, we will find out today if they fix the steering wheel today . And no I’m not out of the lemon law stage , Corporate is telling me because none of these issues affect the drive ability they won’t replace the truck
Cadillac bought back my '16 Escalade as a result of the shake. I was well schooled in the issue (chassis/suspension...shared components with P/U platform) by the time the ink dried on the paperwork.
....They bought back my '15 (actually replaced it with the '16 mentioned above) due to the fabulous 8-speed transmission....!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lol no coffee for me just a lot of Oreos , and yes I did say ram sucks , I think if more people understood the concept of opinions we would all be better , never let someone’s opinion affect you ! It’s just my opinion that ram day makes that’s all man .

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Lol no coffee for me just a lot of Oreos , and yes I did say ram sucks , I think if more people understood the concept of opinions we would all be better , never let someone’s opinion affect you ! It’s just my opinion that ram day makes that’s all man .
Haaaa! After two recent Cadillac buy-backs, I know what a real s#it car (and company) is all about.. My Ram is not perfect either, but it is light years ahead of the crap GM fed me a few years ago!

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you come here looking for help and advice, being a troll isn't going to get you the feedback you are looking for. Oh, that's my opinion.

Reaction score
Haaaa! After two recent Cadillac buy-backs, I know what a real s#it car (and company) is all about.. My Ram is not perfect either, but it is light years ahead of the crap GM fed me a few years ago!
Luck of the draw I guess, I do feel the ram is the best look I gotta and nicest interior wish I wasn’t having problem after problem

Users who are viewing this thread