5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leasing info, frustrated, looking to be a RAM owner, hello to all!

ADJS

Reaction score
Hello all! :)

I did some searching and couldn't find anything concrete that helps me in my situation.

I currently own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited. I am now moving into a situation where I will need to start towing more than the Jeep is capable of.

The Jeep being a limited model, I've gotten used to its creature comforts.

I was looking to lease, and then if I like the three-year ownership, buying the lease. I've been told many people are doing this now, with trucks especially.

What I'm looking for at a minimum:

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with:
Blue Streak Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint - preferred but optional
or
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint
With:
Sport Appearance Package - preferred but optional
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Level 1 Equipment Group
Trailer Brake Control
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio

It all started with my original dealer, the one I purchased the Jeep from. Thinking I was getting a good deal on the following:

$580/mo for 12,000/36 months with $1000 down.
MSRP $54,240
Cap Cost: $52,085.23
lease rate is 0.00041

Over the weekend I learned some things on this Lease Guide website.

They emailed me and said "We are selling you the truck at supplier which in we are losing money to do it." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Five minutes after I mentioned (My reply email) True Market Value, Invoice cost and rebates, I get a phone call from their finance manager wanting to help "answer my questions and concerns" and to "explain to me how a lease works" Is this a red flag?

Some dealers don't even respond to me after the initial email sent to me, the ones that do don't have the truck I'm looking for and offer me higher priced trucks.

I then find this, dare I say, pretty awesome forum. I plan on coming here in the future for other things IF I can get into a RAM in the first place. heh

In this forum I have people saying and telling me I should be getting 6% under invoice and 15-20% off MSRP, which somewhat reinforces what I learned over the weekend.

Don't know where to turn or what to say anymore. Just wish buying a new vehicle was not this difficult.

Any and all advice, comments, questions, concerns, stories or jokes would be immensely appreciated.

Looking forward!

ADJS

Reaction score
Looks like a good deal to me. I use this as a guide:
Thank you for the tip!

This is the real issue. So its an ok deal. but I read on the other website I linked to

When you lease, you negotiate a purchase price with the dealer just as you would if you were buying. This key point is not well known and dealers have even told customers that, because it’s a lease, lease price is always full sticker price. This is simply not true

If thats the case, people are buying them, even this month, at invoice prices. One person even told me I should be able to get one 5% under invoice. Thats like $8K off. Am I out of my mind? Ive already been a bit aggressive but I don't want to push back more if I am indeed incorrect.

PatriotBlue2019

Reaction score
I completed my first lease with a 2019 Limited and I was very nervous about it too. I just reviewed plenty of Youtube videos on leasing for about a month. What pushed me over the top and gave me confidence that I wasn't getting ripped off was www.leasingguide.com. The website takes you step by step through the entire leasing process...I spent the extra 20 bucks and downloaded the leasing package. It was really helpful...I took my laptop to the dealer and went through everything step by step with the Finance person. Hope this helps.

ADJS

Reaction score
I completed my first lease with a 2019 Limited and I was very nervous about it too. I just reviewed plenty of Youtube videos on leasing for about a month. What pushed me over the top and gave me confidence that I wasn't getting ripped off was www.leasingguide.com. The website takes you step by step through the entire leasing process...I spent the extra 20 bucks and downloaded the leasing package. It was really helpful...I took my laptop to the dealer and went through everything step by step with the Finance person. Hope this helps.
Ive been doing the same thing. As my original post said.

However, if what im being told by the leasing guide and others is true, the dealer can do better than $2,100 off MSRP. Correct?

What sort of deal did you get PatroitBlue2019?

That is my issue. I dont want to push back on the finance manager and say "I know you can sell me the truck at invoice, because leases are no different it when comes to the purchase price of a vehicle" if the dealer is actually loosing money to sell me the truck for $2100 off MSRP.

I appreciate the help thus far. :)

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I leased mine. MSRP was $53,100 and if I remember right the sale price of the truck was right around $46,000. I pay $497 a month for a 15k/36mo lease. The only thing I put down was first month's payment.

I called around to several dealers to see if they could beat this price and I was told no by every single one. That made me believe I was getting a decent deal from my closest dealer.

This was my first ever lease and I didn't do much research until after the deal was final. I just went in with knowing I wanted to be under $500 and had to have a few certain options on the truck. The dealer did tell me you don't get all the rebates when you lease a vehicle though. Not sure if this is true or not but I certainly didn't get them all as I only got $7,000 or so off the MSRP.

50Front

Reaction score
I leased my truck last July. Sticker was a little over 61k and i am paying $600/mo for 12k/36, no money down and taxes in payments (NY 8.25%). At pick up i paid first month and DMV. Back then inventory was limited so that hurt my bargaining power. I would think i could get down to about $550 now.
I have leased many cars and i use to get into all the details and drive myself crazy. Now i just shop by monthly payment, no money down and all taxes and fees in payment. Makes it easy to compare between different cars and makes. I recommend not putting any money down, it's the same a prepaying the rent. Each thousand reduces the payment by about $30. That money is also at risk if the truck is totaled early on.
I saw in another thread and agree a good guide is if you monthly payment is less than 1% of sticker price, you probably have a decent deal. This assumes no money down and all taxes and fees in payment. So for your truck that would be about 540.
Rebates are usally different for leasing and buying. Some apply to one or the other, some apply to both.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all! :)

I did some searching and couldn't find anything concrete that helps me in my situation.

I currently own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited. I am now moving into a situation where I will need to start towing more than the Jeep is capable of.

The Jeep being a limited model, I've gotten used to its creature comforts.

I was looking to lease, and then if I like the three-year ownership, buying the lease. I've been told many people are doing this now, with trucks especially.

What I'm looking for at a minimum:

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with:
Blue Streak Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint - preferred but optional
or
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint
With:
Sport Appearance Package - preferred but optional
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Level 1 Equipment Group
Trailer Brake Control
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio

It all started with my original dealer, the one I purchased the Jeep from. Thinking I was getting a good deal on the following:

$580/mo for 12,000/36 months with $1000 down.
MSRP $54,240
Cap Cost: $52,085.23
lease rate is 0.00041

Over the weekend I learned some things on this Lease Guide website.

They emailed me and said "We are selling you the truck at supplier which in we are losing money to do it." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Five minutes after I mentioned (My reply email) True Market Value, Invoice cost and rebates, I get a phone call from their finance manager wanting to help "answer my questions and concerns" and to "explain to me how a lease works" Is this a red flag?

Some dealers don't even respond to me after the initial email sent to me, the ones that do don't have the truck I'm looking for and offer me higher priced trucks.

I then find this, dare I say, pretty awesome forum. I plan on coming here in the future for other things IF I can get into a RAM in the first place. heh

In this forum I have people saying and telling me I should be getting 6% under invoice and 15-20% off MSRP, which somewhat reinforces what I learned over the weekend.

Don't know where to turn or what to say anymore. Just wish buying a new vehicle was not this difficult.

Any and all advice, comments, questions, concerns, stories or jokes would be immensely appreciated.

Looking forward!

I leased mine - $50,095 MSRP - $347/mo 10k miles/36 months - $1,000 down plus TTL and first months payment ($2,500)

With that 1% rule for leasing mine should have been $500.95 a month with nothing down. If I put nothing down it would have been $444 so I think I got a good deal.

Buy out at the end is around $28,000 I believe

Where are you located?

ADJS

Reaction score
I leased mine - $50,095 MSRP - $347/mo 10k miles/36 months - $1,000 down plus TTL and first months payment ($2,500)

With that 1% rule for leasing mine should have been $500.95 a month with nothing down. If I put nothing down it would have been $444 so I think I got a good deal.

Buy out at the end is around $28,000 I believe

Where are you located?
Ah that is some good information! Thank you! The truck I was originally looking at was 53K.

I am in Michigan.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah that is some good information! Thank you! The truck I was originally looking at was 53K.

I am in Michigan.
Oh ok - if you were in the PA, NJ, NY, CT area I would have directed you to the salesperson I worked with on that deal. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Johnvan

Reaction score
My MSRP was a little over $66k. Leased. Price came down to $60k

U

User_3336

ADJS, your dealer is blowing smoke up your *** if he's telling you he's losing money selling at supplier price!!!!!!!!!

ADJS

Reaction score
Msrp 54705
Sale price 51005

Gross cap 52085
Net cap cost 1000 down $48335
588-603 a month

Sound good?

Last edited:

ADJS

Reaction score
Ok, final offer I was given.
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 V8 Crew Cab 5.7 box
15K miles 36 Month Lease
Retail Price: $54705
Sales Price $51005
Gross Cap Cost: $52117
Rebate: $2750
Cash Down: $1000
Net Cap Cost: $48367
Monthly Payment:$620-$635

12K miles 36 Month Lease
Sales Price $51005
Net Cap Cost: $48367
Monthly Payment:$588-$603

Opinions, thoughts, concerns, ideas, backup, or firepower would be greatly appreciated. \(^__^)/

Last edited:

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
My MSRP was $1500 less and I pay $497 a month for a 15k/36mo. Mine isn’t a Laramie but I still think their offer is high.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, final offer I was given.
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 V8 Crew Cab 5.7 box
15K miles 36 Month Lease
Sales Price $51005
Net Cap Cost: $46367
Monthly Payment:$620-$635

12K miles 36 Month Lease
Sales Price $51005
Net Cap Cost: $46367
Monthly Payment:$588-$603

Opinions, thoughts, concerns, ideas, backup, or firepower would be greatly appreciated. \(^__^)/
Agreed with the above post thats a high payment.

gatesb77

Reaction score
Agreed that does seem high. I can post my numbers when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread