5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learned something new - vented seats

Swicago

Reaction score
Today was insane hot and humid in my area. So I had the AC blasting at max and the vented seats going. Well we all know that max AC blows from the vents that face you and not the foot vents. It turns out, when you switch to foot vents, the vented seats blows colder air. This was a pleasant surprise and cooled my wife and I much faster. Looks like I'll be using facing and foot vents over max air more often.

austwill

Reaction score
Ventilated seats don’t blow air, they suck air through the seats. Air blowing through the foot vents wouldn’t be related to the ventilated seat temperatures.

Swicago

Reaction score
Ventilated seats don’t blow air, they suck air through the seats. Air blowing through the foot vents wouldn’t be related to the ventilated seat temperatures.
Don't what to tell you, there is definitely a temperature difference. Both my wife and I felt it right away. Maybe because the lower section is much cooler when foot blowers are going, that it is in fact sucking in cooler air.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Don't what to tell you, there is definitely a temperature difference. Both my wife and I felt it right away. Maybe because the lower section is much cooler when foot blowers are going, that it is in fact sucking in cooler air.
Now I'm curious. I don't have ventilated seats, or I'd go check it out myself. Turn the seats on and hold a match or some incense or something and see if it blows or sucks. Blowing makes more sense --- rather than pull you tighter to the hot leather, there's a small chance some cool air might get between you and the seat.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now I'm curious. I don't have ventilated seats, or I'd go check it out myself. Turn the seats on and hold a match or some incense or something and see if it blows or sucks. Blowing makes more sense --- rather than pull you tighter to the hot leather, there's a small chance some cool air might get between you and the seat.
No need to be curious. This is something that's been known for years. They pull air in, not blow it out. Easiest way to tell is to turn them on and put a piece of paper on the seat back. The suction keeps it on the seat back. Turn them off and the paper falls.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No need to be curious. This is something that's been known for years. They pull air in, not blow it out. Easiest way to tell is to turn them on and put a piece of paper on the seat back. The suction keeps it on the seat back. Turn them off and the paper falls.
I kinda wanted to see what happened when people held a match to their seats. You ruined this for me.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I’m too lazy to go out and trial this right now but I thought I could feel air coming from the seat back. On mopar website it says the small fans pull air in and push it out evenly through seat.

So if this is the case I would think if ac is blowing cold air towards feet and floor that would be the air pulled in and supplied through perforations .

0F2EAA83-23D9-4541-942D-B4BD397B809B.png

Swicago

Reaction score
You are right, they do suck. So maybe it is pulling the cool air from the foot wells up over the seats? Like I said, it definitely felt cooler

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
So it's 10:30 at night and I'm reading this thread for the first time thinking to myself, no way I have vented seat? I know i have heated seats but I haven't used that feature yet because, well, it August. Being excited I went out to the truck to see if i had vented seats which i would absolutely love to have but much to my dismay, i dont. Just heated. Oh well. Lol

austwill

Reaction score
You are right, they do suck. So maybe it is pulling the cool air from the foot wells up over the seats? Like I said, it definitely felt cooler
I’ll definitely have to test that out then, I just don’t know if I’ll want to sacrifice the main air when it’s 100 degrees haha

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'll try it on the wife's garage queen Cherokee elite package with every single bell and whistle Jeep has. Three years old Granite Crystal/sunroof, jeep blackout package and 6K miles... They did offer me what we paid for it... But she ain't givin it up. AND won't even put it in sport mode.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'll try it on the wife's garage queen Cherokee elite package with every single bell and whistle Jeep has. Three years old Granite Crystal/sunroof, jeep blackout package and 6K miles... They did offer me what we paid for it... But she ain't givin it up. AND won't even put it in sport mode. When clean, it is a mean looking package, but any rain or dirt screws up the effect. I have the billet silver on my Ram and much prefer that color NOW over the darker ones. Dirt and rain are hardly noticeable...

Attachments

• 20210719_085652.jpg
    20210719_085652.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 33

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This makes sense that blowing cold air from the foot vents translates into a cooler feeling on the vented seats, but for me when it's 100 degrees out I need the cold air blowing on my upper body more than in the seats. So upper vents for me in a super hot cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread