5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking roof

Spe1996

Reaction score
I have had my 2019 1500 Laramie Into the dealer 3 times for a leaking at the rear by the headliner. First time they resealed the 3rd brake light and antenna. The second time I was told I need a new rear window. The 3rd visit was to replace the rear window with the updated oem rear window.

After all that it still leaked so bad the next time the snow melted it was a steady drip from the center of the rear window frame. I looked up on the roof and it was pretty much dry on the outside at the back of the roof near the antenna, 3rd brake light and window. The only place there was water was snow on the sun roof panels.

Does anyone know if there are seams joining the roof panels to the side of the truck under the black strips running down the roof?

I saw a saw a unrelated article about cars buried in the snow where the seams on the roof fail allowing moisture in and allowing mold to grow and ruins cars.

I am hoping someone who has had one of our trucks apart know if there are panel bond seams under the black trim pieces.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have no idea about the roof seams, but given your description, I'm wondering if one of the sunroof drain tubes is leaking or has become disconnected from the sunroof tray.

Spe1996

Reaction score
I have no idea about the roof seams, but given your description, I'm wondering if one of the sunroof drain tubes is leaking or has become disconnected from the sunroof tray.
Supposedly they checked all the drains and they were working.

Since the truck lives outside 100% of the time it's possible water got in somewhere it wasn't supposed to ans froze, expanded and cracked something.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Supposedly they checked all the drains and they were working.

Since the truck lives outside 100% of the time it's possible water got in somewhere it wasn't supposed to ans froze, expanded and cracked something.
I'd check the 3rd brake light again... Maybe the idiot that "fixed" it didn't actually fix it. Rams are notorious for that leaking 4th gens and 5th gens both. I upgraded to the newer style oem LED one and it leaked straight from the dealer, I fixed it myself with weather stripping and it hasn't leaked since. My truck lives outside 100% the time as well here in Iowa so it's been throughly tested since the fix.

Here's what I used - - - -
M-D Building Products 1033 M-D 0 All Profile Weather-Strip Tape, 10 Ft L X 19/32 in W 5/16 in T, Epdm Rubber, Black, Foot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1QHA8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_Y7YXX0NVKM3X5BG7PKGD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread