5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking rear window,3rd light or shark fin.??

Mhons

Reaction score
Well after the dealership had my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 4879 miles on it for 2 weeks I got it back. Rf module shot I told them I thought there might be water water coming in. They said they checked and couldn't find any leaks. I call BS. The very same night it rain and I got in the truck and behold, water coming down the passenger side rear window. Well I've decided to check all the common issues on this forum, but it still leaks. I called my service advisor and what? He quit . Now I left feedback with Ram about my situation. I'm gonna go and talk to service Mgr. I can't lose my truck for another 2 to 3 weeks and they were very hesitant to give me a rental. I should say my truck is still under 3 yr. 36000. warranty.

Attachments

• 20230710_211848.jpg
    20230710_211848.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230710_211747.jpg
    20230710_211747.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 73

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well after the dealership had my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 4879 miles on it for 2 weeks I got it back. Rf module shot I told them I thought there might be water water coming in. They said they checked and couldn't find any leaks. I call BS. The very same night it rain and I got in the truck and behold, water coming down the passenger side rear window. Well I've decided to check all the common issues on this forum, but it still leaks. I called my service advisor and what? He quit . Now I left feedback with Ram about my situation. I'm gonna go and talk to service Mgr. I can't lose my truck for another 2 to 3 weeks and they were very hesitant to give me a rental. I should say my truck is still under 3 yr. 36000. warranty.
Just take the brake light assembly out and use clear silicone and the same for the fin. You won't regret it speaking as someone who had to get the RF hub, rear window and brake light assembly replaced.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That leak is identical to what I had and I fixed it by using the PermaTex Flowable Clear Caulk. Just slowly squeeze the caulk into the channel between the top of the window and the painted body and it will slowly flow over the top of the glass and into the channel, sealing the small holes. I've been in heavy rains (in Florida) and I haven't seen a drop since I did this. I filled the channel from the driver side to the passenger side to be sure there weren't any other pin holes.

Best $6 I spent.

Don't touch the brake light or the shark fin unless you think you have a leak there, but when it's on one side, it's the back glass.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is in both top corners. I can see the drips now and then in heavy rains. I'm experimenting with weatherstripping right now but will probably just go with the recommended perma tex above.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Someone also had a leak coming from under the rubber strip running on the top of the cab on either side. Maybe check that as well.

Mhons

Reaction score
That leak is identical to what I had and I fixed it by using the PermaTex Flowable Clear Caulk. Just slowly squeeze the caulk into the channel between the top of the window and the painted body and it will slowly flow over the top of the glass and into the channel, sealing the small holes. I've been in heavy rains (in Florida) and I haven't seen a drop since I did this. I filled the channel from the driver side to the passenger side to be sure there weren't any other pin holes.

Best $6 I spent.

Don't touch the brake light or the shark fin unless you think you have a leak there, but when it's on one side, it's the back glass.
Exactly what I did.

Philth

Reaction score

Best $6 I spent.

Given the issues with these leaks, why the plant doesn't do this on new assembly trucks is beyond me.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I dont think I have a leak as floor is dry under seat but I would think its a good idea to remove seat and protect the module with some plastic or something

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I dont think I have a leak as floor is dry under seat but I would think its a good idea to remove seat and protect the module with some plastic or something
Some people talked about doing that, but idk if anyone successfully protected it or not. Not sure if it gets warm or has vents and heat sinks. If thats the case you wouldn't want to wrap it up and cause a fire.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

irishwake63

Reaction score
was thinking about flashing over it so it can stay cool and divert water away in case it does leak I have to go get a reverse torx bit to get the seat off

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
I took a zip lock baggy and fit it over the top leading edge. It is loose on top so as to not restrict any air flow.

brianphughes2

Reaction score
I’m going to give the permatex flowable silicone this weekend on the shark fin only and will report back since I just had the tsb performed for the rear window frame and third brake light but still have a leak.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think the flowable caulk will work on the antenna. The fact that the caulk is flowable, means it probably won't build up a good seal on a horizontal surface. There's nothing for the caulk to pool up and "flow" up against.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think the flowable caulk will work on the antenna. The fact that the caulk is flowable, means it probably won't build up a good seal on a horizontal surface. There's nothing for the caulk to pool up and "flow" up against.
Good point. Maybe just use silicone

DownNTexas

Reaction score
I’m going to give the permatex flowable silicone this weekend on the shark fin only and will report back since I just had the tsb performed for the rear window frame and third brake light but still have a leak.
Forgive me.. what is "tsb" ?

Users who are viewing this thread