5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest dealer visit - random clunking

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck started making a clunking noise a couple of months ago coming from somewhere under the cab. At first it only happened when I made a sharp left turn. Before I had a chance to get it looked at, it seemed like it went away. Then it started doing the same thing again but at totally random times. Not when making a sharp left. But, it only happened very occasionally.

I drove to FL the weekend before Thanksgiving. By the time I got there, it seemed like the random clunking was happening pretty often. My cousin and my brother both went for rides with me to check out my new truck. Both asked "what was that noise" at different times.

It was now happening enough that I was worried something might actually break before I drove back to VA. So, I went to the Tallahassee Dodge dealer. Their service department sent me over to the Express Lane side where they do oil changes and other very basic tech work. I was only 500 miles from needing an oil change, so I asked them to do the service and have a look underneath while they had it on the rack. See if they could see anything that would explain the clunking.

They changed the oil, rotated the tires, and told me that the tech found a TSB for my exact symptoms and the solution was a firmware update. They flashed 3 (I think) computers (PCM, TCM, and something else?) and told me I should be good to go.

I left there and immediately got on I-10 for a run across town. At 80 MPH it had a very noticeable shake. It used to be smooth as glass on the highway. And I soon noticed that the clunk was still there.

I took it back to the dealer on the Monday after Thanksgiving and told them about it. They balanced all 4 wheels (at no charge, since my truck only had just 9,000-something miles), and they told me the tech found another TSB, also for the symptoms I described. This one involved torquing some specific things underneath to spec, which they did.

After that, problems totally resolved. I haven't had a clunk since. They told me that when they balanced the tires, there was one that was quite a bit off. I'll never know if the tech that rotated them knocked a weight off or if the unbalanced wheel was on the back and I didn't notice it until they rotated it to the front (but, as bad as it was shaking, I am pretty darn skeptical that it was that far out of balance before they rotated the tires - it was totally smooth at 80 before). The drive back from FL to VA was so nice, not having the clunk and not having a worry in the back of my mind that something was about to break.

Something else - I reckon it *could* just be my imagination, but I believe the truck is more pleasant to drive since they flashed all the computers. In particular, it feels like the takeoff from a dead stop is smoother now and the throttle response at lower speeds is better. I don't have to mash the pedal as far to get some moderate acceleration in traffic. Unfortunately, the computer updates don't seem to have improved my fuel economy or the accuracy of the onboard fuel economy computer.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I had the same clunking issue and also had the transmission software flash performed. Made a big difference in how the truck drove. That was about 6 months ago and no issues since with those areas

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same clunking issue and also had the transmission software flash performed. Made a big difference in how the truck drove. That was about 6 months ago and no issues since with those areas

Yeah, when I went back the second time they mentioned that the first TSB said something about the transmission. If they had told me that in the first place I would have told them that my issue was not the transmission. I could tell that from the way it was acting. But, it does seem like the flash gave me better quality of life, so to speak, so I'm glad it got done. :D

Zeeya

Reaction score
Build date 5/19 Rebel. I have the dreaded rattle/bump. They keep telling me I have no updates available. I checked vin# as well. It still shows no updates available

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build date 5/19 Rebel. I have the dreaded rattle/bump. They keep telling me I have no updates available. I checked vin# as well. It still shows no updates available

Has your dealer been able to reproduce the problem, so that they are at least acknowledging the problem is there?

jabara572

Reaction score

I Just made a post the other day about this. I also have a 5/19 Rebel with an undercab rattle.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I Just made a post the other day about this. I also have a 5/19 Rebel with an undercab rattle.
Bringing it back in next week. Service manager said he would put it on rack and I could get underneath with him and go from the front to back. I’ll let you know if we find it

jabara572

Reaction score
Mine is definitely my right side front sway bar link. I got underneath and bench pressed it up and down and can hear and feel the link clunking by touching it just doing that. Can feel it moving when it clunks too, like it's loose in the sway bar. All my bolts are tight as I can get them so the link must be defective Internally in the ball joint itself.

Users who are viewing this thread