5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Year Of Classic 1500?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did like the 4th gen look as well, probably slightly more than the 5th gen.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did as well even after I got my BTS. But the 5th gen style has definitely grown on me. Especially after doing some cosmetic modifications. And other than the Challenger style hood they have for the 4th gen, I actually prefer the 5th gen now.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did as well even after I got my BTS. But the 5th gen style has definitely grown on me. Especially after doing some cosmetic modifications. And other than the Challenger style hood they have for the 4th gen, I actually prefer the 5th gen now.
I liked that hood better than the 5th gen sport hood. I like scoops. I like my Durango hood, that is more like the Hellcat or TRX hood, with a scoop, and heat extractors, too.

John Galt

Reaction score
Almost ZERO rebates on Classics. Franklly, classics aren't THAT MUCH cheaper that 5thgen DT's.
Upfront maybe but what about parts and service? I haven’t looked but I wonder what the hour guide (whatever they call that book that tells you how many hours various repairs take that ships use to bill for labor) for the same repairs on DS vs DT. The hybrid system alone probably adds significant cost and the increased level of electronics can’t help either.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it was RAM's way to have a cheap mid-size competitor, at least based on price.
Yes exactly. They had/have no mid-size competitor, and their tooling for the DS is long since paid off. If they can't come up with another product to produce more revenue, on it goes.

Just like back in the day, Dodge gave us a mid-size option that was a bit bigger and offered a V8. The more things change...

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hard to believe they are still making the 4th gens especially since the 5th gens are even getting long in the tooth now. I guess Ram is still using the cabs on the HD's for what ever reason their was an issue with manufacturing and being able to switch the HD's to the new cabs so why not continue making the 1/2 ton's at the same time. The 5th gen has much better crash ratings, not sure how much longer the 4th gen can meet the crash standards.
Long in tooth? When the design is only 4 years old?
I guess you've forgotten about the 1972-1993 Dodge pickups.

Dewey

Reaction score
For me, I’m inside the truck most of the time and the Gen 5 interior definitely wins.
My 4th Gens were most definitely nicer interiors but I went from Laramie’s to a Bighorn. The 5th Gen Laramie’s I looked at weren’t exactly a huge step up from a 4th Gen. Both are nice don’t get me wrong.

6of36

Reaction score
My 4th Gens were most definitely nicer interiors but I went from Laramie’s to a Bighorn. The 5th Gen Laramie’s I looked at weren’t exactly a huge step up from a 4th Gen. Both are nice don’t get me wrong.
The 5th gen upper levels are much better than 4th gens. I had both generations in both cloth and leather.

6of36

Reaction score
Hard to believe they are still making the 4th gens especially since the 5th gens are even getting long in the tooth now. I guess Ram is still using the cabs on the HD's for what ever reason their was an issue with manufacturing and being able to switch the HD's to the new cabs so why not continue making the 1/2 ton's at the same time. The 5th gen has much better crash ratings, not sure how much longer the 4th gen can meet the crash standards.
The HDs are still using a 4th gen body, but it's not the same as a 4th gen 1500. They look the same, but there are major differences, that are not interchangeable. Their 4th gen body didn't start the same year as 1500 4th gens either.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the 5th gens when they first came out. They reminded me of a Toyota Tundra. I started liking them more when I saw the LED head lights. If I didn't happen to stumble across a Spitfire Orange BTS I'd still have my 11 Bighorn

BlackBeauty14

Reaction score
5 years techically 19-20-21-22-23. And 4-5 years into a new design is usually when manufacturers do a mid cycle refresh. Ford is doing it even sooner with the F-150, 3 years into the 2021 design being refreshed for 2024.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5 years techically 19-20-21-22-23. And 4-5 years into a new design is usually when manufacturers do a mid cycle refresh. Ford is doing it even sooner with the F-150, 3 years into the 2021 design being refreshed for 2024.
Ford is doing an early refresh because they are behind the curve for interior and technology

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck will be 5 years old in September and I think you could get them about 6 months before I got mine so about 5 1/2 years old. Maybe not a full redesign but it is overdue for a refresh which is coming for 2025. Don't get me wrong I still love the truck but I like to trade every 5 years and I hate to buy the same truck twice.

6of36

Reaction score
6 years. 24s are the same. 25 for refresh.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ford is doing an early refresh because they are behind the curve for interior and technology

That would be GM, they did a 1-year earlier mid-cycle for the Silverado/Sierra in 22' due to the interior complaints. Ford is about on their normal schedule, RAM is definitely slightly behind.

RAM originally scheduled the mid-cycle for 23', but it's going to be 25' now.

But definitely agree, the interior of the current F150 does feel slightly dated compared to even GM now, though that hasn't hurt their sales any. The RAM mid-cycle should be impressive, especially on the interior side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online