5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest tire for air suspension

zifnab2112

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed else where, but I couldn’t find any real answers in the search. I have a ‘19 1500 with air suspension and want to upsize the tires. What is the largest 20” tire anyone has ran without rubbing on a stock air suspension truck? Last time I upsized the sidewall to a 60 series and it looks to still have plenty of clearance even when fully lowered, but would like to go wider if possible. Thanks.

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
FOLLOWING!
This is a confusing question, one that I am curious about as well. Been saving and waiting for stock tires to wear out. I will buy some methods with Toyo AT IIIs in some months. Would prefer to go with 35 versus the stock 33, but have not had an ounce of confidence with the folks I have spoken with. @zifnab2112

Techna

Reaction score
Ive got 35” Ridge Grapplers on 20” wheels and have very, very minor rub on very rare (read so minor and so rare that I haven’t bothered to try and find out where) occasions. My truck is leveled with pucks and air links. All I did to mitigate the possibility of rubbing before I bought the tires and wheels was follow some guidelines posted in a few places, which suggested warming the plastic wheel liners with a heat gun and gently reshaping them in the front. The truck is a 2019 Limited.

Attachments

• 35CD171C-F494-4906-873F-DCFD6CCD936D.jpeg
    35CD171C-F494-4906-873F-DCFD6CCD936D.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 303

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm at 275/60/R20 and I'm pretty sure I can go up to 285/60/R20 with no rub.

zifnab2112

Reaction score
I'm at 275/60/R20 and I'm pretty sure I can go up to 285/60/R20 with no rub.
Yea, I’m at a 275/60 now as well and think 285/60 would be fine. Would like to go to a 295/60, but not sure if it’ll clear without rub.

zifnab2112

Reaction score
Ive got 35” Ridge Grapplers on 20” wheels and have very, very minor rub on very rare (read so minor and so rare that I haven’t bothered to try and find out where) occasions. My truck is leveled with pucks and air links. All I did to mitigate the possibility of rubbing before I bought the tires and wheels was follow some guidelines posted in a few places, which suggested warming the plastic wheel liners with a heat gun and gently reshaping them in the front. The truck is a 2019 Limited.
Thanks for the tip about the wheel liners. Good looking truck.

zifnab2112

Reaction score
FOLLOWING!
This is a confusing question, one that I am curious about as well. Been saving and waiting for stock tires to wear out. I will buy some methods with Toyo AT IIIs in some months. Would prefer to go with 35 versus the stock 33, but have not had an ounce of confidence with the folks I have spoken with. @zifnab2112
Let us know how it goes if you upsize. I don’t figure we’re the only ones with this question.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I have 35x12.5x20 and had minimal rub with stock offset, pucks and level links. Zip ties took care of rub. As soon as I added spacers I had to do a little trimming in the front to get rid of the rub.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Do you have links to both products? I'm looking to fit 35's with air suspension as well

Techna

Reaction score
Do you have links to both products? I'm looking to fit 35's with air suspension as well
Here you go. This guy is building his own air links out of components listed elsewhere on this site. I was going to build my own, but his pricing was close enough that it just wasn’t worth it. Also, I’m happy to support a guy operating a small business and selling good products at realistic prices. He was a pleasure to deal with too. I actually didn’t buy the spacers from him because I’d intended to just do the links, but I wasn’t happy with the choppy ride that raising it with air only caused. The Daystar spacers I bought are the same ones he includes in his “kit” and are available on Amazon for about $100. They’re listed as being for 4th gen Ram trucks, but fit the 5th gen too.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Here you go. This guy is building his own air links out of components listed elsewhere on this site. I was going to build my own, but his pricing was close enough that it just wasn’t worth it. Also, I’m happy to support a guy operating a small business and selling good products at realistic prices. He was a pleasure to deal with too. I actually didn’t buy the spacers from him because I’d intended to just do the links, but I wasn’t happy with the choppy ride that raising it with air only caused. The Daystar spacers I bought are the same ones he includes in his “kit” and are available on Amazon for about $100. They’re listed as being for 4th gen Ram trucks, but fit the 5th gen too.

Thank you..

redduck996

Reaction score
I have 35x12.5x20 and had minimal rub with stock offset, pucks and level links. Zip ties took care of rub. As soon as I added spacers I had to do a little trimming in the front to get rid of the rub.
do you guys think LT285/65/20 would fit with minimal to no rubbing?

Pjwishlist

Reaction score

This is what I found...but not super-vehicularly-mechanically inclined, so am apprehensive of this approach.

Last edited:

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score

This is what I found...but not super-vehicularly-mechanically inclined, so am apprehensive of this approach.
I'm a bit apprehensive as well.. One of the reasons I bought the Rebel with air suspension was "Entry/Exit" setting. I couldn't find any info (or I missed it) as to whether the truck will still lower all the way down with "Entry/Exit" to the factory setting.

davidn0021

Reaction score

You'll most likely get some rubbing I feel. Will also depend on your wheel's offset to a certain degree. It's why I opted to go down in size, although I probably could've gone 285/60/R20 without rub. I chose not to just because I didn't want to pay that extra $$ to go up to an LT tire, even for the Falkens I got. And especially considering I don't tow nor will I be driving it all that much (I average less than 10k/year). If they wear out sooner than expected, I'll switch to the Nittos or the Toyos.

Last edited:

Noswal2014

Reaction score
Do you get any error messages about the air suspension not working properly due to the air links "tricking" the truck.? I've read that this can happen

RiverRocket

Reaction score
Do you get any error messages about the air suspension not working properly due to the air links "tricking" the truck.? I've read that this can happen
I just run air links and I have not had a warning. I went with the lowering kit. I ran all 4 for a while but it was really low so I pulled the front ones and left the rear in to level the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread