5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest stock tire and wheel setup

idominate

Reaction score
I just got new tires on my 2020 Rebel. I can't say that I completely hated the stock tires it came with but the last 30k miles they became really cupped and loud. No amount of rotating seemed to help. But I suffered through it and just got new tires so that I would be good come winter. I drive quite a bit for work and mostly highway miles. I am posting a pict of the old tire which I put 80k miles on. And the new tires that I think are probably one of the tallest tires you can fit on a stock rebel with no robbing issues. They are Toyo AT3 285/75r18. The actual spec on the tire is 34.8"x11.3". The tires seems so much quieter than the old ones which I expected. The only thing I wasn't able to get some was a wheel swap for some 18" TRX rims. I will keep looking for a reasonable priced set.

Attachments

• 20221014_120502.jpg
    20221014_120502.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20221014_151332.jpg
    20221014_151332.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 20221014_151338.jpg
    20221014_151338.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20221014_151641.jpg
    20221014_151641.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 187

Vulpes

Reaction score
Looks great! The picture of the UCA in relation to the tire sidewall is really helpful, see lots of posts on here asking that question.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running the same size tires (Cooper instead of Toyo though) on my leveled Big Horn. I'd concur that it's probably the biggest you're going to fit without modifications.
Clearance with the UCA is about as close as you can get without wheel spacers or a different offset wheel.

1666102974034.jpeg

lift uca after.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm more impressed you got 80k out of your Duratracs. I was going to be thrilled with 50k.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had several trucks with Duratracs on them. I think 60K is pretty close to their limit. 80K actually is really good. OP milked them for all they were worth.
That said, I've never had any issues with them cupping or being loud. Overall, I think they're great tires, but they tend to be expensive and not available in 285/75/18 so I went a different route this time.

AlphaRebel

Reaction score
I got 87,000kms out of my stock Duratracs and they were still just barely above the wear bar. The key to any tire is rotation every 10,000kms. Im now running the BFGoodrich KO2, they're very quiet compared to the Duratracs. Apparently these are supposed to me amazing in the snow.

Attachments

• 2E231B00-66DA-4281-B787-9E0AD4AB5E24.jpeg
    2E231B00-66DA-4281-B787-9E0AD4AB5E24.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 75

jlewis74

Reaction score
I am at 44K miles on my factory GY's and about to change them out, I am in mud quite a bit so while they might still be ok for on road, not so much for off. Looking at same size tire, but I am going to level and go with aftermarket -12 offset wheels.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 87,000kms out of my stock Duratracs and they were still just barely above the wear bar. The key to any tire is rotation every 10,000kms. Im now running the BFGoodrich KO2, they're very quiet compared to the Duratracs. Apparently these are supposed to me amazing in the snow.
They aren't bad in the snow.
I don't know if I'd say they're better for it than the Duratrac though. The Duratrac handled snow/ice great as long as you don't have 12.5" (I don't think any are very good that wide).
Another good one for snow is the Falken Wildpeak AT3. Not that the KO2 is bad, just that I've had others that are a little better. Siping makes a huge difference when it's slick out and the KO2 is lacking that.

** Edit for clarification.
To be clear, the KO2 is much better in the snow than any "all season" tire I've ever used. They're very good but they aren't really focused on snow/ice like some are.

idominate

Reaction score
I'm more impressed you got 80k out of your Duratracs. I was going to be thrilled with 50k.
I really don't go off road much and Drive alot of highway miles. I can get easily 60k out of most any original tire on a truck. That't not to say I am liking the original tires but I am going to get my money's worth out of them since I paid for them. Once they get cupped or whatever it is almost impossible to even it back out. These ones had gotten pretty loud in the past year. Happy to be rid of them.

idominate

Reaction score
Looks great! The picture of the UCA in relation to the tire sidewall is really helpful, see lots of posts on here asking that question.
I have looked at alot of those other posts trying to decide what tire i could fit on there. I really wanted the TRX rims and tires but I wasn't willing to take a chance and end up spending alot more. I am pretty certain you can't fit a 12.5 on there without at least a level and new upper control arms. Just my thoughts though, I am not a mechanic.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I have looked at alot of those other posts trying to decide what tire i could fit on there. I really wanted the TRX rims and tires but I wasn't willing to take a chance and end up spending alot more. I am pretty certain you can't fit a 12.5 on there without at least a level and new upper control arms. Just my thoughts though, I am not a mechanic.
Do you have the backspacing measurement on the Factory TRX Rims? This Wheel Offset Caluclator is handy: Wheel Offset Calculator

ramdiego

Reaction score
Factory trx wheels/tires will rub the UCA and rear drivers side front wheel well lining. I'm having a Icon stage 2 3inch lift installed and will be running bora 1.5inch wheel spacers to make my takeoffs work.

I beleive however rebels with air suspension can make them work with just spacers and wheel well plastic trimming.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the backspacing measurement on the Factory TRX Rims? This Wheel Offset Caluclator is handy: Wheel Offset Calculator
They are 18 x 9 with the same 19mm offset that all the other Ram wheels have (although those are 8" wide instead). So the backspacing is 5.2" instead of 4.7".
I think the biggest issue people have with trying to make them fit is the width of the tire. 12.5" wide tires aren't going to fit on Rebel wheels without modifications either.

Vulpes

Reaction score
They are 18 x 9 with the same 19mm offset that all the other Ram wheels have (although those are 8" wide instead). So the backspacing is 5.2" instead of 4.7".
I think the biggest issue people have with trying to make them fit is the width of the tire. 12.5" wide tires aren't going to fit on Rebel wheels without modifications either.
Yup, my non-air ride rebel has about a 1/2" space (at most) between the 275/70R18 tire and the UCA. And here is a lovely photo of the measurements of a RAM Rebel wheel, enjoy!

IMG-0081.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online