5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger tires racking up miles faster?

dsmx587

Reaction score
I have a 21 ram, I’m putting 35x12.50 venom tires on the factory 22’s, this truck is a lease so I’m watching the miles…..the revolutions per mile are supposed to be less than the factory tires, but the speedometer will read a lower speed than I am actually going….this info came from a tire calculator on tacomaworld.com
My question is will the larger tires make the computer think I’m putting on more miles than I actually am?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
No.

It converts revolutions to distance. If you go further per revolution than it's programmed to think, it will read lower than actual. So will the speedometer. And the fuel economy meter will also read lower than actual.

Anyway, if it's 35 miles to work now, it'll show you've only gone 32 with the new tires. Unless/until you get it reprogramed.

dsmx587

Reaction score
No.

It converts revolutions to distance. If you go further per revolution than it's programmed to think, it will read lower than actual. So will the speedometer. And the fuel economy meter will also read lower than actual.

Anyway, if it's 35 miles to work now, it'll show you've only gone 32 with the new tires. Unless/until you get it reprogramed.
okay thanks

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes your tire shop can do it included with tire mounting, a dealer can, but will usually charge. There are a few tools that can do it also, 'tazer dt', and others, I am sure that folks can chime in with what they have used.

Users who are viewing this thread