5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger tires on the stock 18's ?

flyfingers

Reaction score
Looking to see what the largest size tire can be put on the factory 18" wheels? Anyone gone to a larger size and not experienced any sort of fender well rub without a lift or leveling kit?

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I am curious about this as well. I have the 18x8 and going to be putting a lift that can house 35x12.5. I have seen and been told that those tires CAN fit that rim with no adverse effects.

That being said, I would like to get options from folks that have or are running this setup as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that, on a non-off road group (ORG) 4x4 at regular/stock height, around 33" is the max without rubbing. Some have done minor plastic trimming to get away with a bit more, but again, that's what I've read from others whom have done it. No personal experience.
If you're thinking 34" or larger, I would definitely consider at least a leveling kit, if not a full lift kit.

Also be aware that anything 33" or larger on 18" rims will mean you stepping into E rated tires most likely. More durable for sure, but heavier. Not that we buy these things for MPG, but power and MPG will suffer a little bit.
What gear ratio do you have?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This was in my 5th gen but now that I think of it it was paired with my Mopar 2” lift..

flyfingers

Reaction score
I have read that, on a non-off road group (ORG) 4x4 at regular/stock height, around 33" is the max without rubbing. Some have done minor plastic trimming to get away with a bit more, but again, that's what I've read from others whom have done it. No personal experience.
If you're thinking 34" or larger, I would definitely consider at least a leveling kit, if not a full lift kit.

Also be aware that anything 33" or larger on 18" rims will mean you stepping into E rated tires most likely. More durable for sure, but heavier. Not that we buy these things for MPG, but power and MPG will suffer a little bit.
What gear ratio do you have?
I do not have a truck yet and will most likely be ordering one early next year. I'm just putting things together so I can buy what fits my needs when the time comes. I ask about the largest tire on 18's for a few reasons. One is I tend to like a cushier ride so more sidewall lends to lend itself to that. Also, albeit a very small amount, I have nothing against the extra ground clearance. And lastly, I wish RAM offered 3.55's as that would be the best of both worlds for me. By going to a 34" (295 70 R18) it essentially puts the stock 3.92's close to 3.73's and 33" tires bring it to around 3.80. At this point I don't feel that buying a truck w/ 3.92's and going up a size or two in tires is going to be enough to get me close enough to my personal sweet spot of 3.55's. In reading the 3.21 v. 3.92 thread (at this point anyway) I'm leaning towards the 3.21's and keeping things stock. I'm not interested in lifting the truck; I'm old now and those days are long gone. I don't tow more than 5,000 lbs and will be traveling back/ forth from CA to MT a couple times a year so better mileage is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread