5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger throttle body

Earlray1978

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the Dodge lane. I have a 2020 1500 Limited with the 5.7 with a Carven exhaust, K&N cold air and untuned due go warranty. Has anyone tried putting on a larger throttle body on an untuned truck. What are your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks

Joshohol

Reaction score
I put a moes one on my truck a month or so ago. I felt a difference. I took my intake off and probably selling the throttle body though. I'm tuned now and have an exhaust

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
I have one with my vararam. With the two installed together, I feel like the low speed transmission shifting gets sloppy, especially when it's cold and it's the first drive of the day. Otherwise the combo yields a nice performance increase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Earlray1978

Reaction score
I put a moes one on my truck a month or so ago. I felt a difference. I took my intake off and probably selling the throttle body though. I'm tuned now and have an exhaust

What size did you go with?

Earlray1978

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. And you had no issues, correct.
Thanks for your input sir

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waste of money. Put one in my 6.4 SRT Jeep years back - tuned, intake, full exhaust, and noticed and logged 0 difference. These are pickups. Performance mods in general are a waste of money. Exhausts, I can understand for sound. But trying to make a pickup quicker is just pointless.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whys it a waste? Whats wrong with having a quicker truck? I got rid of all my toys at once and got the truck all in the same month so if I wanna tune an mod a truck why not?

The question you have to ask yourself with these mods and cold air intakes etc is...don't you think if it was that easy to gain 10-20hp the engineers would do it? With the truck wars going on right now I'm sure Ram would love to say they have an extra 20hp, but they don't.

I think a lot of these mods make people think it's faster, when in reality it's not. I had a Jeep SRT and put an expensive aftermarket intake on, it did nothing except make more noise. In fact the intake temperatures were worse than stock.

Now if you like modding things for the sake wrenching and you like the looks/sound, then go for it, but don't believe all the hype the aftermarket claims.

I remember reading hellcat forums and guys were putting AFE intakes on and losing horsepower! AFE claimed they would gain like 20hp.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The question you have to ask yourself with these mods and cold air intakes etc is...don't you think if it was that easy to gain 10-20hp the engineers would do it? With the truck wars going on right now I'm sure Ram would love to say they have an extra 20hp, but they don't.

I think a lot of these mods make people think it's faster, when in reality it's not. I had a Jeep SRT and put an expensive aftermarket intake on, it did nothing except make more noise. In fact the intake temperatures were worse than stock.

Now if you like modding things for the sake wrenching and you like the looks/sound, then go for it, but don't believe all the hype the aftermarket claims.

I remember reading hellcat forums and guys were putting AFE intakes on and losing horsepower! AFE claimed they would gain like 20hp.

I remember a few Jeep SRT folks putting on aftermarket exhausts to the tune of $1400+, and only gaining 7 HP or less (dyno confirmed). As you said, most "performance" mods now-a-days are just for the looks/sound or so you can make it feel more of your own. Even the guys that claim 1-2 MPG gains with the Ram Air Flow will take a long time to make back the $800+ cost. I'm still considering this mod myself, for the looks mostly.

The larger throttle bottle won't hurt anything, but I've done it to three or four vehicles now... a 5.9L V8 in a 2001 Ram 1500, a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7, and my 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 that I traded in for my current 2020. Even paired with a Volant (2001 Ram) or a S&B (2014 Ram), didn't help much. 2001 Ram even got a little better exhaust before the TB, and that helped more than a larger TB.

Do what you guys want, its your money, and it shouldn't hurt anything other than the wallet. Just don't expect huge gains without getting deeper into the motor and doing a custom computer tune, which also hurts reliability depending on how extreme you go.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I remember a few Jeep SRT folks putting on aftermarket exhausts to the tune of $1400+, and only gaining 7 HP or less (dyno confirmed). As you said, most "performance" mods now-a-days are just for the looks/sound or so you can make it feel more of your own. Even the guys that claim 1-2 MPG gains with the Ram Air Flow will take a long time to make back the $800+ cost. I'm still considering this mod myself, for the looks mostly.

The larger throttle bottle won't hurt anything, but I've done it to three or four vehicles now... a 5.9L V8 in a 2001 Ram 1500, a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7, and my 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 that I traded in for my current 2020. Even paired with a Volant (2001 Ram) or a S&B (2014 Ram), didn't help much. 2001 Ram even got a little better exhaust before the TB, and that helped more than a larger TB.

Do what you guys want, its your money, and it shouldn't hurt anything other than the wallet. Just don't expect huge gains without getting deeper into the motor and doing a custom computer tune, which also hurts reliability depending on how extreme you go.

My RAMAIR seems to be seeing that MPG increase so far but yes it would be a very long time before it paid for itself, if ever. I like mods but you have to be realistic in what to expect, I hope to get something out of my mods but never have high expectations, added a PC and now a RAMAIR, looking like a MPG again on the HWY, truck feels a little smoother and way more responsive (PC) but otherwise I can’t tell the difference, sound wise only if you get on it. If you had a net zero on what you expected than I can see your point of view but so far I’ve been happy with everything I’ve done personally but for the money if I got a net zero yes I wouldn’t mess with it either but so far hasn’t been the case for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whys it a waste? Whats wrong with having a quicker truck? I got rid of all my toys at once and got the truck all in the same month so if I wanna tune an mod a truck why not?

With you saying this. Your going to tune and add other mods, that’s bad ***! I’d say by all means do it. If it’s part of your steps to your end goal.tuning trans too. Torque management gone. Be a quick truck

Users who are viewing this thread