5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger capacity oil filter with PacBrake relocation kit?

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Thanks mate! Will research those to make sure they work!
Changed my oil & filter yesterday. I had the K&N HP-2011 on there, which is bigger than the stock filter. Looked at the Mobil1 M1-212A in the store - it was no bigger than the original. I ended up with another K&N HP-2011. Next time, I'll order ahead from Amazon and get the Royal Purple as it's a bit bigger (and cheaper) than the K&N from the local Advanced Auto or AutoZone.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Changed my oil & filter yesterday. I had the K&N HP-2011 on there, which is bigger than the stock filter. Looked at the Mobil1 M1-212A in the store - it was no bigger than the original. I ended up with another K&N HP-2011. Next time, I'll order ahead from Amazon and get the Royal Purple as it's a bit bigger (and cheaper) than the K&N from the local Advanced Auto or AutoZone.
The larger Royal Purple filter (20-820) has been on back order since summer, rumors are it will be back in stock soon. Summit has an estimated ship date of 12/12/22. Amazon lists it as unavailable.

Edit: Since you have the relocation kit the 20-500 might fit, same diameter as the small OEM but almost twice as long

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll look at getting one too on my next change (y)

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Sorry guys, just wanna be sure.
I went to RockAuto to compare and the Mopar 5038041AA, as I found it through using 2016 Dodge Challenger, 5.7L WITH ScatPack, does that mean the Fram XG2 is the same filter size as that Mopar one listed?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, just wanna be sure.
I went to RockAuto to compare and the Mopar 5038041AA, as I found it through using 2016 Dodge Challenger, 5.7L WITH ScatPack, does that mean the Fram XG2 is the same filter size as that Mopar one listed?
I mean, if you want to put a Fram filter on your car, probably. I sure as hell wont use Fram oil filters

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I mean, if you want to put a Fram filter on your car, probably. I sure as hell wont use Fram oil filters
Why no FRAM? I've always used them with no issues on every car/truck I have owned. I recall watching Engine Masters recently and they compared a bunch of them and FRAM did quite well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why no FRAM? I've always used them with no issues on every car/truck I have owned. I recall watching Engine Masters recently and they compared a bunch of them and FRAM did quite well.
The orange can Fram filters are low quality. There are just better options out there that aren't Fram. They are cheaper than comparable filters for a reason

lapoolboy

Reaction score
The gold can Frams are actually good-performing filters. But, I still can't bring myself to use a Fram! 🤣

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
The orange can Fram filters are low quality. There are just better options out there that aren't Fram. They are cheaper than comparable filters for a reason
Apparently, K&N (for example) uses a nominal rating which they place at 10 um, while their ABSOLUTE rating is 40 um. Huge difference. They clearly advertize the nominal because it appears better than what is absolute. While FRAM and WIX ratings are absolute numbers.
Also the FRAM end caps aren't cardboard: they are the same cellulose material that the filter media is made from and it is woven right into the media, making it much less likely to come apart and tear off unlike metal end caps which are simply glued on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, K&N (for example) uses a nominal rating which they place at 10 um, while their ABSOLUTE rating is 40 um. Huge difference. They clearly advertize the nominal because it appears better than what is absolute. While FRAM and WIX ratings are absolute numbers.
Also the FRAM end caps aren't cardboard: they are the same cellulose material that the filter media is made from and it is woven right into the media, making it much less likely to come apart and tear off unlike metal end caps which are simply glued on.
Sure thing. 👍

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found these instructions for one of the 45 degree adapters on the internet. It appears this kit 77072447 is no longer available, but the instructions have part numbers and bolt torque info that may be useful.

Attachments

• 77072447_Kit_Install_K6862612.PDF
    333.5 KB · Views: 21

2001gw

Reaction score
I'm 76 years old. I've been using Fram filters in every vehicle I've owned since I was in my 20's. I have never had a failure of any kind.

Here is a TV Ad from the 1960's.....

Last edited:

Ramboh

Reaction score
We'd use this one on a 5th gen, Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (68382403AA). This one uses the banjo plug with would allow you to leave the factory cooler in place. This seems simplest to me and for $72 I'm in
I bought this adapter to put on my 19 ram. It still uses the 3 bolts for mounting so the factory oil cooler needs to come off.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought this adapter to put on my 19 ram. It still uses the 3 bolts for mounting so the factory oil cooler needs to come off.

Move it to the end of the new adapter like the 392 wrangler does.

45D-1[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread