5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger capacity oil filter with PacBrake relocation kit?

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I just ordered the kit and wonder if it is possible to put a larger capacity oil filter on there? I have the PacBrake relocation kit for the 5.7L Hemi. If so, anyone have a part number?

I'm always shocked by how tiny the OEM filters are for these trucks.....

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd have put the TRX or Durango oil filter adapter and then use a bigger filter. Mounts the oil filter horizontally

0xywms3nseo61.jpg

Mopar 68213162AB​

Tray-Oil Drain
2013-2018 Mopar 68213162AB

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (68382403AA)​

Blocks off the TRX oil cooler lines

Engine Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011252AC)​

TRX version

Larger Oil filter is

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Great idea but I didnt do that, and bought the relocation kit.

Might help someone else thinking about this 🙂

Anyone know about the filter?
Thanks!

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I added the kit to my truck on my last oil change, and am due for the first change using the kit in a couple weeks. I had researched this about a year ago and these are the different "larger" filters that I believe will work (disclaimer-check for yourself to make sure):
Mobil 1 M1-212A
Fram XG10575 (Ultra Synthetic Filter - any of the Frams that have the numbers 10575 are the same dimensions)
K&N HP-2011
Royal Purple 20-500

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the relocation kit, but do run a larger Mopar SRT filter on my truck. It's a tight fit getting it into factory location. It's the same filter used on the Vipers. Without the space limitations of factory location, you could probably get an even bigger filter.

The biggest thing is using quality oil. With the right oil, hopefully the filter won't have to do too much filtrring.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I don't have the relocation kit, but do run a larger Mopar SRT filter on my truck. It's a tight fit getting it into factory location. It's the same filter used on the Vipers. Without the space limitations of factory location, you could probably get an even bigger filter.

The biggest thing is using quality oil. With the right oil, hopefully the filter won't have to do too much filtrring.
Thanks! Do you know what the part number is for those SRT/Viper filters?

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I added the kit to my truck on my last oil change, and am due for the first change using the kit in a couple weeks. I had researched this about a year ago and these are the different "larger" filters that I believe will work (disclaimer-check for yourself to make sure):
Mobil 1 M1-212A
Fram XG10575 (Ultra Synthetic Filter - any of the Frams that have the numbers 10575 are the same dimensions)
K&N HP-2011
Royal Purple 20-500
Thanks mate! Will research those to make sure they work!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use the same thing.
I hate how I can't get the thing in or out from the front like the OEM filter and it needs to go right down while squishing wires and your fingers.
One thing to note the filter is wider, not really longer like lots of typical larger filters.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use the same thing.
I hate how I can't get the thing in or out from the front like the OEM filter and it needs to go right down while squishing wires and your fingers.
One thing to note the filter is wider, not really longer like lots of typical larger filters.
I get mine in and out through the front

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have put the TRX or Durango oil filter adapter and then use a bigger filter. Mounts the oil filter horizontally

0xywms3nseo61.jpg

Mopar 68213162AB​

Tray-Oil Drain
2013-2018 Mopar 68213162AB

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (68382403AA)​

Blocks off the TRX oil cooler lines

Engine Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011252AC)​

TRX version

Larger Oil filter is
I like the looks of these adapters, but there may be complications. I need to crawl under and see what's actually possible.

BowDown

Reaction score
I like the looks of these adapters, but there may be complications. I need to crawl under and see what's actually possible.

Changed my oil today and took a look. Shouldn't be an issue, may try it as the part is cheap

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be interested in what you find. From drawings and pictures, it looks like choices may depend on what is already there. If mine has the oil cooler in the lower radiator hose, might be able to use one. If nothing in the area, maybe the other. And it's not entirely clear how they mount, 1 bolt vs. 3 bolts vs. hollow banjo bolt, are the holes already tapped, etc. Weather is starting to get wintry here so I may not get a good look for awhile.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'll be interested in what you find. From drawings and pictures, it looks like choices may depend on what is already there. If mine has the oil cooler in the lower radiator hose, might be able to use one. If nothing in the area, maybe the other. And it's not entirely clear how they mount, 1 bolt vs. 3 bolts vs. hollow banjo bolt, are the holes already tapped, etc. Weather is starting to get wintry here so I may not get a good look for awhile.

We'd use this one on a 5th gen, Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (68382403AA). This one uses the banjo plug with would allow you to leave the factory cooler in place. This seems simplest to me and for $72 I'm in

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We'd use this one on a 5th gen, Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (68382403AA). This one uses the banjo plug with would allow you to leave the factory cooler in place. This seems simplest to me and for $72 I'm in
Definitely let us know how it fits.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I want to see how it fits too.
Good luck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I use the larger filter on the stock housing. It's a tighter fit but it does fit. I get the Napa gold filter. Everytime I go to buy one they always hand me the smaller filter which is obviously what the truck calls for. I always tell them I want the bigger filter and they look at me strangely lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use the larger filter on the stock housing. It's a tighter fit but it does fit. I get the Napa gold filter. Everytime I go to buy one they always hand me the smaller filter which is obviously what the truck calls for. I always tell them I want the bigger filter and they look at me strangely lol
That's why you just tell them the filter number you want. Don't tell them what vehicle it is for. Or just ask for a filter for the vehicle it is specified for

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's why you just tell them the filter number you want. Don't tell them what vehicle it is for. Or just ask for a filter for the vehicle it is specified for
Yeah I know that. I just never remember the number

Users who are viewing this thread