5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie to Bighorn, crew to quad, anyone done so?

hotjava66

Reaction score
Currently have a 20 Laramie crew 6.5, love the truck but thinking about something new. Kids are both driving now and don’t really need a full crew cab. Also pretty interested in switching from the hemi to a diesel. Been playing around building trucks on Ram site, options have really been cut back for 22. That and prices are up big time since I bought mine. I still want the 6.5 box, and I see the Laramie is only offered in a crew for this year. Plus a fully optioned Bighorn with pretty much everything (quad cab 6.5) stickers about 10k less than the Laramie. Looks like the only thing different is no leather and no cooled seats. Wondering if anyone has made a similar move and regretted it. Really like my Laramie, and when I was shopping before it seemed much nicer than the Bighorns I looked at but none were fully optioned. Can also add aftermarket leather if I really want it for a couple grand max. I guess my other concern is room in back of a quad for the odd time you need to carry an extra passenger or two.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently have a 20 Laramie crew 6.5, love the truck but thinking about something new. Kids are both driving now and don’t really need a full crew cab. Also pretty interested in switching from the hemi to a diesel. Been playing around building trucks on Ram site, options have really been cut back for 22. That and prices are up big time since I bought mine. I still want the 6.5 box, and I see the Laramie is only offered in a crew for this year. Plus a fully optioned Bighorn with pretty much everything (quad cab 6.5) stickers about 10k less than the Laramie. Looks like the only thing different is no leather and no cooled seats. Wondering if anyone has made a similar move and regretted it. Really like my Laramie, and when I was shopping before it seemed much nicer than the Bighorns I looked at but none were fully optioned. Can also add aftermarket leather if I really want it for a couple grand max. I guess my other concern is room in back of a quad for the odd time you need to carry an extra passenger or two.
I have experience with both but in the opposite order 2014 4th gen quad - 2019 5th gen BH Crew Cab 6.4, -2021 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4. The quad cab is plenty of room for kids or for adults on shorter trips - wouldn't want to sit back there for hours as a 6ft tall guy. I think besides the leather and cooled seats you'll also lose reclining rear seat and proximity lock/unlock. A fully optioned BH is still really nice.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The only one that can determine if it's right is you. I get "downsizing" but is it worth the different option and higher cost to you? You're the one that has to pay for it. You already have a 2020 that you originally wanted so is the jump to a year and a half newer truck with less options worth it you?

I went the opposite way. I had an 11 bighorn qc 6.5 and upgraded to a 21 BTS cc 6.5 but it also has more options then the 11 did.

Bigtone

Reaction score
My 2010, 2014 and 2019 were all quad cabs, for that same reason as the OP. Kids are grown and no need for the crew cab. But they were Laramies, when I decided to move up to a Limited I had to go with the crew cab. I was lucky enough to find one with a 6’4” box, so I didn’t have to give up any cargo space. I like the under floor and under the seat storage, and find the extra room in the back seat comes in handy, especially for 3 car seats for the grandkids, lol.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d keep what you have. Downsizing from a Laramie to a Big Horn doesn’t seem financially smart unless the numbers play in your favor. My thinking is the 20 is closer to being paid off if it isn’t, you get something new then you restart that whole cycle of course that depend on your financial situation. Anything you order now it’s hard to really get a good deal on with all the shortage from Covid etc plus at it seems a lot of the included features have now been eliminated with chip shortages. IMO your not changing to a much different vehicle to justify those issues and increased pricing.

NRitland2

Reaction score
You should be able to grab a BH in crew cab and 6’4 bed. Just built a ‘22 and took delivery on that truck recently.

Itsslow98

Reaction score
I wouldn't drop to a quad cab having just traded in my 2014. ZERO legroom in the back. You will lose some resale value doing so as well. One way to get better seats in a big horn is to go backcountry package which has nice vinyl/cloth seats but I think they're only doing crew cabs.

NavyChief

Reaction score
I went from a Longhorn crew 6.5 bed to a bighorn quad. Wanted a shorter truck for work. If they made a regular cab I would be driving that. I was really looking at the Big Horn HD regular cab hard before getting this one.
I do miss the ventilated seats so I’ll prolly update with katskin later.

hotjava66

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, got some stuff to think about. I have always thought the 5.5 box was kind of useless, but I really don’t haul a lot of big stuff anymore. Maybe I will go that route with a crew cab to get a shorter truck. Also, the 33 gallon tank which I really want only comes in that configuration. The biggest reason I have for switching is to go to an Ecodiesel, was still too new back when I got mine but I feel more comfortable with one now. Only considering because resale is so high right now, curious what OTD price will be, that will determine if I jump. If it costs me 5-6k to update after 2 years I am comfortable with that. NavyChief I also kind of wish they made a regular cab.

hotjava66

Reaction score
You should be able to grab a BH in crew cab and 6’4 bed. Just built a ‘22 and took delivery on that truck recently.
As much as I love my current truck, it’s just a bit long. Also I think when I tried the back country package it will not allow the Ecodiesel

llando88

Reaction score
A few years back, I bought a '16 Ram 2500 Laramie for towing our 30' camper. Loved the truck. Drove 50K miles throughout the US/Canada for a couple years, then sold our rig in 2018, as I went back to work for a few years.

I retired again last year due to COVID, so we picked up a used '21 1500 Big Horn crew cab a few weeks ago. Yes, my Laramie was loaded out, and I miss a few of the creature comforts. That being said, I find the cloth buckets very comfortable, and not sticky, here in the FL heat. The truck doesn't have the auto key feature, where you walk up and it unlocks automatically. You have to hit the unlock button. My wife's not real happy with that, as she has to dig through her pocketbook to find the key every time.

Otherwise, we like the BH pretty well so far. Ours has the features we really wanted; Hemi, trailer brake controller, adjustable foot pedals, antislip 3.91 diff, and extended range fuel tank. And for our situation, towing, the lower equipment spec of the 1,500 Big Horn vs. Laramie should mean more payload capacity, other things being equal (my door sticker reads 1,738 lbs of occupants/cargo capacity).

Last edited:

BigD

Reaction score
The main thing I wish I had was the keyless entry. Otherwise the BH suits me just fine. Quad cab is pretty much worthless. Even without kids a CC is nice to put stuff back there that u don't want outside in your bed. The 5.7 inch bed holds everything just fine. Your talking less than a foot difference with the longer bed. Just buy a bed extender for like $100 for those occasional times when u want to pick up lumber or what not.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep bed extender for the rare times you’ll need the longer bed and the 5”7 just fine and easier to park. Trade value might be high right now but the percentage of MSRP nowadays is low most dealers seem to want more over MSRP nowadays. I won’t go into a huge debate over the whole Hemi vs Eco diesel but compare the additional cost going the Eco route and increased maintenance cost and decide if the extra mpg is worth that. Good luck and keep us updated what you end up deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BigD

Reaction score
Yep bed extender for the rare times you’ll need the longer bed and the 5”7 just fine abs easier to park. Trade value might be high right now but the percentage of MSRP nowadays is low most dealers seem to want more over MSRP nowadays. I won’t go into a huge debate over the whole Hemi vs Eco diesel but compare the additional cost going the Eco route and increased maintenance cost and decide if the extra mpg is worth that. Good luck and keep us updated what you end up deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just googled CC vs. Quad. We are talking about a measly 9 inch difference in bed length. But the difference inside the cab is huge. An adult can't even sit in a quad cab without spreading their legs wide open. As far as Diesel vs. HEMI I don't know why anyone would buy a diesel? It is slower than a turtle on take off & if u tow a lot get a 3/4 ton ! And yes the maintenance cost & cost up front negates any fuel savings.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never understood the quad cab configuration myself just seemed like a waste of a backseat. I understand not everyone has passenger in the back but those instances that you do they’re going to hate you. Crew cab is the most common configuration for those reasons easier to sell and typically better trade in value especially those with families.

Ecodiesel has its place for those that tow often and not real heavy or rake up a lot of miles.

Yes some would say step up to a 2500 but as a DD the 1500 if way more of a comfortable ride. 2500 ride okay when loaded.. unloaded they can be a bit much for a lot of people. Then your talking quite a difference in price unless you stick with a lower trim.

Users who are viewing this thread