5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Sports Hood vent retaining water.

Drennan

Reaction score
Hi,
Frequent visitor but first time posting.
Ive noticed on several occasions that after a substantial rainfall, that one of the “faux” vents on my hood is completely filled with water, passenger side only. Today I raised the hood to look on the underside for any clues and as I raised the hood upright, water came pouring out of that vent and down the hood towards the windshield. Neither vent seems particularly well fitted with marginal gaps around them at the edges. The drivers side vent always appears completely dry and no water comes out when I raise the hood.
I thought I ask here prior to going to the dealer with this problem. The truck is a 2022 Laramie Sport.
I’d appreciate any input. Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They don't really vent\drain.
They are secured with little plastic tabs with no adjustment really possible (unless a clip isn't on) there is foam that presses it against the hood that should prevent water from going into the engine area.

You just need to remove the push clips on the cover inside the hood and you can see what is going on on the inside.

But if you are just talking about lifting your hood and water comes out, thats how they are designed, they don't do anything except hold water.

Drennan

Reaction score
They don't really vent\drain.
They are secured with little plastic tabs with no adjustment really possible (unless a clip isn't on) there is foam that presses it against the hood that should prevent water from going into the engine area.

You just need to remove the push clips on the cover inside the hood and you can see what is going on on the inside.

But if you are just talking about lifting your hood and water comes out, thats how they are designed, they don't do anything except hold water.
Thank you for responding. It’s strange though that only one of the two vents retains water. I can’t see how the water can escape without raising the hood. I’m worried that water sitting in that space will ultimately cause rust or some other damage. Thankfully the foam on the inside appears to prevent any water entering the engine compartment.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. It’s strange though that only one of the two vents retains water. I can’t see how the water can escape without raising the hood. I’m worried that water sitting in that space will ultimately cause rust or some other damage. Thankfully the foam on the inside appears to prevent any water entering the engine compartment.
the water (should) come out as soon as you drive.
If my truck was wet the vents will be dry in like 30 seconds or so.

Also what are you worried about rusting?
Hood is aluminum, and painted at that too.

There are people that have done cutouts and just let the water drain down from the vents are are fine.
I wouldn't worry about it, but as I said you can remove the push clips and take a look. It's possible that one of the 3 or 4 clips got knocked off.

MVfan

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced one of these faux vents? I had the passenger side vent fly off on the highway. I found a replacement on eBay, easy enough, but it doesn’t seem to fit snug with those tiny clips. Can’t seem to get it seated down tight against the hood. There’s a plastic tube like piece that extends down into the hood, so I put a couple washers and drove a screw up into the plastic tube to hopefully secure it. Looking at the driver side, there is no securing screw on that one. Pretty obvious that that plastic tube from the vent is meant for something, maybe to drain water out of the faux vent?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced one of these faux vents? I had the passenger side vent fly off on the highway. I found a replacement on eBay, easy enough, but it doesn’t seem to fit snug with those tiny clips. Can’t seem to get it seated down tight against the hood. There’s a plastic tube like piece that extends down into the hood, so I put a couple washers and drove a screw up into the plastic tube to hopefully secure it. Looking at the driver side, there is no securing screw on that one. Pretty obvious that that plastic tube from the vent is meant for something, maybe to drain water out of the faux vent?
Yes it's for water, no screws in mine.
There is a thin foam on the sides that make it "appear flush" despite not being so.

MVfan

Reaction score
Yes it's for water, no screws in mine.
There is a thin foam on the sides that make it "appear flush" despite not being so.
It’s that thin foam that makes it almost impossible to get the plastic clips to grab under the hood surface, so the faux vent will likely fly off again. That’s why I rigged up the washers and put a screw up the plastic ‘drain’ tube. I guess i’ll order another one from eBay from a different source and see if it’s better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread