5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Sport vs Rebel purchase

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been lurking for a few months trying to learn more about these trucks. I have always been a GM guy and had GM trucks, with my last one being a 2006 Silverado Z71 that I traded, in 2017. I bought it new and loved that truck. Due to a new job, I traded it on a 2017 Mustang GT, because I wanted to enjoy my commute of 80 miles each way. The job ended after 2 months and Ford did a buyback on the Mustang due to paint failure. So, I bought a 2018 F150 XLT. That truck was also lemon lawed! Sorry to say , my luck with newer vehicles hasn't been good as I also had to lemon law a new 2017 Charger Scat Pack that the dealer had for 36 days trying to repair, but oh well.

I like the Laramie Sport and the Rebel. Because of the F150 XLT, I learned that the lower trim level isn't for me so I'm looking at the next step above the Big Horn. I'm looking at the 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, the 8.4 Uconnect radio, no ram boxes or split tailgate or sunroof. I'm seeing Laramie prices around $9k-$12k off, and I have seen a few instances of $15k off, but don't know what discounts they were offering. The Rebels are around $6k-10K off.

Is there anything that makes the Laramie the better choice than the Rebel? The Laramie can get different wheels and tires, a small lift and Bilstein shocks to make it more like the Rebel, and appears to be cheaper, after the rebates. If I build a Ram on the website, my option selections makes MSRP close to the same on both models. Is there anything the Laramie has that the Rebel doesn't that makes it the better truck? Or, should I just buy the Rebel because I will replace the wheels and tires, shocks and add a small lift to the Laramie?

Thanks for the help. I did search and I didn't see a similar topic.

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I will speak from what I have observed. I own a Laramie pretty much exactly configured to what you are wanting. I absolutely love it.

The two truck kind of pull different crowds. One is very off road worthy, the other is very luxurious but capable. If you are planning on different tires and a lift then it comes down to the off road features that separate then as they can both be set up similar tech wise.

The rebel is going to have an electronic locking diff, off road goodies like an off road cruise control and protective skid plates. Obviously the styling is a little more rugged on the rebel but that is more subjective.

I lifted mine and put bigger tires on and I have yet to find the truck lacking in a way to get me out. I have the anti spin rear end but it does just fine pulling me out of places and I have out it through some tough areas.

So, wrapping up, I think it comes down to styling and lifestyle. Both are great on and off the road and you will not be disappointed with either. I will say though, make sure you get one with either a locking diff or the anti spin. Also, if you can, get the 33 gal tank. You will thank yourself later.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're buying it for commuting the Laramie will no doubt be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy.

The rebel is a bit louder due to tires, and the lift combined with the off road goodies will hurt the MPG a bit.

That being said the rebel would still be more comfortable than the ford because the interior is still leaps ahead and it probably rides better.

I'd personally take both on a highway test drive and see what you like better.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
One big difference will be 4x4 system. Laramie uses a clutch system, Rebel does not. Therefore, Rebel does not offer the auto 4x4 feature whereas the Laramie will. Obviously, I have a Rebel, but the Laramies with the sport and offroad packages are sweet rides. I wanted a more simple, stripped down truck, so I went with a Rebel. If you don't plan on spending much time offroad, it sounds like the Laramie may be the way to go.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One big difference will be 4x4 system. Laramie uses a clutch system, Rebel does not. Therefore, Rebel does not offer the auto 4x4 feature whereas the Laramie will. Obviously, I have a Rebel, but the Laramies with the sport and offroad packages are sweet rides. I wanted a more simple, stripped down truck, so I went with a Rebel. If you don't plan on spending much time offroad, it sounds like the Laramie may be the way to go.
They do now

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Other than the Bilstein's, the Laramie is nearly as well equipped for off-road if you include the Off-Road Group. With the ORG you get the locking rear diff, skid plates, A/T tires (although load range C instead of E), and additional 1 inch suspension lift. Then there's the obvious difference in appearance. You can get the Rebel with leather-trimmed seats, so it can be just as luxurious feeling as the Laramie. And the auto 4x4 is an option in the Rebel for 2021.

I was also trying to decide between a Rebel and a Laramie when I was truck shopping. The thing that swayed my decision was the fact that the Laramie comes with ventilated seats, which are not available in the Rebel. They're really only need for about 3 months out of the year, but they are priceless during that time.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Test drive both. I went in for a Rebel and left with a Laramie Sport. The Laramie was more comfortable inside and seemed to ride nicer (most likely due to the tires). Also, the dealer was willing to negotiate more on the Laramie, so I ended up with more options then I originally planned on - at a lower price.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I don't plan on "offroading" per se, so any 4x4 will suffice in that regard. I am not a big fan of leather, but fabric isn't available in the Laramie, and the newer fabrics aren't much to my liking. I miss the older vehicle fabrics, but they didn't hold up as well as the new fabrics,

I wanted a small lift, so that would be extra cost on the Laramie that the Rebel could fix with just leveling blocks. New wheels and tires would provide a sportier look on the Laramie, but the Rebel already has them. Not really an issue when you need to buy new tires after so many miles anyway.

So you guys are saying that the more heavily discounted Laramie might be the better choice only because of the discounts. Shocks, wheels and tires are fairly inexpensive and can be purchased with the extra savings.

Now, which dealer has the best pricing? I'm within 1 hour of Lakeland and their prices online don't appear spectacular. I did buy my Scat Pack from them, so that might help. Mark Dodge in Louisiana advertises good pricing. I'm willing to travel and make a vacation out of picking up the truck, so any dealers that you recommend? Appreciate it.

eyeguy

Reaction score
I have a laramie sport with orp. I would buy again! Got elocker rear, Skid plates n 1 inch lift, didnt need to add auto 4wd which if I couldnt get it might be a deal breaker in the rebel. Realize now it can be had which is great. icy windy iowa roads auto 4wd is a big plus.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been lurking for a few months trying to learn more about these trucks. I have always been a GM guy and had GM trucks, with my last one being a 2006 Silverado Z71 that I traded, in 2017. I bought it new and loved that truck. Due to a new job, I traded it on a 2017 Mustang GT, because I wanted to enjoy my commute of 80 miles each way. The job ended after 2 months and Ford did a buyback on the Mustang due to paint failure. So, I bought a 2018 F150 XLT. That truck was also lemon lawed! Sorry to say , my luck with newer vehicles hasn't been good as I also had to lemon law a new 2017 Charger Scat Pack that the dealer had for 36 days trying to repair, but oh well.

I like the Laramie Sport and the Rebel. Because of the F150 XLT, I learned that the lower trim level isn't for me so I'm looking at the next step above the Big Horn. I'm looking at the 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, the 8.4 Uconnect radio, no ram boxes or split tailgate or sunroof. I'm seeing Laramie prices around $9k-$12k off, and I have seen a few instances of $15k off, but don't know what discounts they were offering. The Rebels are around $6k-10K off.

Is there anything that makes the Laramie the better choice than the Rebel? The Laramie can get different wheels and tires, a small lift and Bilstein shocks to make it more like the Rebel, and appears to be cheaper, after the rebates. If I build a Ram on the website, my option selections makes MSRP close to the same on both models. Is there anything the Laramie has that the Rebel doesn't that makes it the better truck? Or, should I just buy the Rebel because I will replace the wheels and tires, shocks and add a small lift to the Laramie?

Thanks for the help. I did search and I didn't see a similar topic.
Laramie...luxery, more standard options
Rebel...off road, different transfer case.
Each trim can be had with various options. It just comes down to preference. Rebel is basically a slight luxerious off roading Ram...which is very nice. Personally if I had the money I'd go with the Rebel over Laramie...but only because I'd actually go off road once in a while. If off roading isn't In your future, the Laramie is a good pick.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
probably not helpful from a technical perspective but I do not offroad and LOVE my Rebel as my everyday vehicle. As far as creature comforts it has everything I need and nothing of what I don't want, like all of the safety features in a Level 2 or ramboxes, or MFT. I have had full moonroofs and can count on 2 hands the number of times I opened it in 3 years. It was hard to find a Laramie around here to start , would have been a contender, but I just preferred the look and feel of the Rebel. Hoping one day I can get into offroading with it.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm building my own via the ramtrucks.com site and I don't like the way the options are available. I try selecting Laramie Level 2 package and it automatically gives me eTorque and the 3.6L. I don't want eTorque or the 3.6L, I want the 5.7L. I also don't want Laramie Level 1 package, but I guess I need to select it.

You used to be able to buy a vehicle, and add a package, 1, 2, or 3, then add a few individual options, you're done. Today, just trying to change gears completely overwrites all previous selections. I might have to get the Rebel. The options are so much easier to obtain.

Kidder

Reaction score
Sounds like an error with the build configurator. Go to your dealer and have them build it.

Grouper

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm building my own via the ramtrucks.com site and I don't like the way the options are available. I try selecting Laramie Level 2 package and it automatically gives me eTorque and the 3.6L. I don't want eTorque or the 3.6L, I want the 5.7L. I also don't want Laramie Level 1 package, but I guess I need to select it.

The configuration tool definitely has limitations. I ordered a Laramie Sport with the non-eTorque Hemi.

The configuration tool wouldn't allow selection of the non eTorque engine, but the dealer was able to order it. I think it was part of order code "Customer Preferred Package 25H."

CPenn1086

Reaction score

You used to be able to buy a vehicle, and add a package, 1, 2, or 3, then add a few individual options, you're done. Today, just trying to change gears completely overwrites all previous selections. I might have to get the Rebel. The options are so much easier to obtain.

The configurator is not the best. You can definitely get the Level 2 package with the 5.7.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The configuration tool definitely has limitations. I ordered a Laramie Sport with the non-eTorque Hemi.

The configuration tool wouldn't allow selection of the non eTorque engine, but the dealer was able to order it. I think it was part of order code "Customer Preferred Package 25H."
You have the non-etorque and equipment level 2 package?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good to know that can be ordered that way. It's possible to even find one on a lot configured that way then. My next truck won't have etorque if I can get the options I want without it. It's not that I've had any problems with it, but I just don't see the benefit of it for the type of driving I do. And I don't want something on my truck I don't benefit from, that can possibly break down in the future.

MacDuff

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a factor for you, but while I like the look of the Rebel, I couldn't get it with the Crew Cab and 6'4" bed. I've owned a short bed in the past and had too many circumstances where it didn't get the job done for my use.
Bought the Laramie, loaded it up and put the Off Road Group on it. 54K miles later, still love it, no regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread