5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie ORP or Rebel

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! I'm new to the forum. Just sold my Ram 2500 CTD and moving to the 1500. Looking at possibly ordering a new Laramie or Rebel. Was looking for a little bit of guidance from all of you that have experience with the 1500s. I've always wanted the pearl white Laramie, night edition with ORP. The one thing I don't like about that set up is the night edition gives you 22" wheels, but when you add ORP they drop to 20" wheels. I'd rather have 18" wheels as I'm off road a lot when hunting and camping, which is what brought the Rebel in as an option. Only thing with the Rebel that I don't get from what I can see is the Pearl White. I've seen a few Laramies on the road with the night edition package and they seem to sit low, which coming from my 2500 I'm not a fan of. I've put a few builds together and the Rebel comes out a few thousand more. Anyone have any insight or opinions? Also if I add the ORP to the Laramie does that come with a lift on the front? It doesn't say on the website.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
My vote is for the Laramie with ORP.

Height wise the Laramie has the same springs so sits at the same height as the Rebel. But it does not have the Bilstein struts and rear shocks. Both of these are 1" higher than the standard suspension.

You can also easily get rebel wheels as take offs from someone on the forum (there are actually a lot for sale right now) and sell your stock 20s. This is what I did as I wanted 18s as well and am very happy.

saylor

Reaction score
+1 ORP and swap wheels with the dealer or someone.

if you tell them you aint taking the tuck off the lot until its got some 20s on it, they will go find some, especially if you are handing in 22s.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I didn't think about trading in the 22s to the dealer. I'd really rather have the 18s the Rebel comes with. Actually like the wheels on the Rebel as well. I can't find a White, Laramie, Night Edition with ORP anywhere in the country. Thanks for confirming the height. If I decide I need to lift the front at some point I'll replace the struts myself. My goal is to stay as much stock as possible. Already had the lifted truck. I don't need that anymore, but don't need some clearance when I'm off road.

saylor

Reaction score
im coming out of a 2015 2WD into a 2020 4WD with ORP to deal with fire roads/logging roads.

its night and day difference. the ORP is plush. not too stiff a ride and not bouncy with 20s

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
People, it's ORG, not ORP :p :p :p

In reading your other thread, it looks like you decided on a Laramie with the ORG. That's what I did. I wanted pretty much the same build as you, but I also really wanted the ventilated seats. Since those aren't available on the Rebel I chose the Laramie w/ORG. Either way you can't go wrong. And many dealers are willing to swap wheels, but it might be hard to find one that's willing to swap Rebel wheels. They'll probably offer 18 inch Tradesman, Big Horn, or Laramie wheels instead. Won't hurt to ask about the Rebel wheels though.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Yeah sorry about that. I was thinking Off Road Package, not Off Road Group. Thanks for the input. I just look at the pics on the dealer website and like how the Rebel sits up front versus the Laramie. Maybe it's just because the 22" wheels compared to the 18" though.

saylor

Reaction score
i can only blame mopar for mixing up the terminology

"

Well for 2019, Ram is bringing back the popular 4×4 Off-Road package on Ram 2500 models. The package will be available on Crew Cab and Mega Cab models on Tradesman, Big Horn/Lone Star, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Limited models.

The 4×4 Off-Road package includes the following…

• Hill-Descent Control
  • Tow hooks
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • Bilstein Shocks (Tuned For The 4×4 Off-Road Package)
  • Limited-Slip Differential
  • On-/Off-Road tires (18-inch or Optional 20-inch)
  • Wheel Flares
  • 4×4 Off-Road Decal

"

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
So does the ORG come with the Bilstein shocks then in the 2021? I thought that was only on the Rebel.

Never mind it looks like they did on the 2019, but not the 2020 or 2021.

saylor

Reaction score
my 2020 Off Road Group Package (TM) truck has hitachi mexico branded shocks I just went and looked

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So does the ORG come with the Bilstein shocks then in the 2021? I thought that was only on the Rebel.

Never mind it looks like they did on the 2019, but not the 2020 or 2021.
The only 1500 that comes factory with Bilstein shocks is the Rebel . The ORG gives it a 1” lift from factory which matches the Rebel . As Mikeru82 pointed out the Laramie can have options that are not available on the Rebel .

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You still get the rake with the Laramie ORG. It's only 1" taller than the non-ORG so it's not that noticeable. The Rebel is closer to level and doesn't have the lower valance making it look even "taller".

They are both capable trucks so it will be a personal choice on looks and options. The Laramie has more possibilities than the Rebel (ventilated seats among others) but the Rebel has the taller stance regardless of ORG or not on the Laramie.

I'm coming from an F-250 so my Big Horn definitely sits lower even with the ORG. It's apples to oranges coming from the HD 'club' so any 1500 is going to feel smaller. On the flip side I don't miss 15 quart oil changes every 5K miles and replacing fuel filters every other oil change.

Go look at both and drive them to see how they feel. Once you drive them one of them may grab you more than the other.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
You still get the rake with the Laramie ORG. It's only 1" taller than the non-ORG so it's not that noticeable. The Rebel is closer to level and doesn't have the lower valance making it look even "taller".

They are both capable trucks so it will be a personal choice on looks and options. The Laramie has more possibilities than the Rebel (ventilated seats among others) but the Rebel has the taller stance regardless of ORG or not on the Laramie.

I'm coming from an F-250 so my Big Horn definitely sits lower even with the ORG. It's apples to oranges coming from the HD 'club' so any 1500 is going to feel smaller. On the flip side I don't miss 15 quart oil changes every 5K miles and replacing fuel filters every other oil change.

Go look at both and drive them to see how they feel. Once you drive them one of them may grab you more than the other.
Yeah I'm coming from the HD club and know exactly what you mean about all the maintenance. I think if I decide I don't like the rake I can always level the Laramie at some point. I did that with Bilsteins on my Tundra a while back and loved the look. I just don't have any interest in adding any larger tires anymore, so looking to remain stock.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

The Rebel actually sits 1/2 inch higher than the Laramie w/ORG. This is because the Rebel has 33 inch tires, while the Laramie has 32 inch tires. But all Ram 1500's have a rake to them. Rebel included.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
People, it's ORG, not ORP :p :p :p

In reading your other thread, it looks like you decided on a Laramie with the ORG. That's what I did. I wanted pretty much the same build as you, but I also really wanted the ventilated seats. Since those aren't available on the Rebel I chose the Laramie w/ORG. Either way you can't go wrong. And many dealers are willing to swap wheels, but it might be hard to find one that's willing to swap Rebel wheels. They'll probably offer 18 inch Tradesman, Big Horn, or Laramie wheels instead. Won't hurt to ask about the Rebel wheels though.
I think I'm moving back toward the Rebel lol. I didn't realize I could get leather seats with the Rebel. I also get the night edition and the 18" wheels that I really want. Price is actually cheaper from the build I came up with. I was just going to add the leather for are $1600, but saw I could add the Rebel 12A package and get the leather, 12" Nav and 9 speakers w/AMP stereo.

5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine $1,995
33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445
Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group $3,000
Rebel 12A $2,495
Night Edition $525
Bed Utility Group $350
Comfort and Convenience Group $695
Rear Wheelhouse-Liners $195
NET PRICE
$58,215

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I'm moving back toward the Rebel lol. I didn't realize I could get leather seats with the Rebel. I also get the night edition and the 18" wheels that I really want. Price is actually cheaper from the build I came up with. I was just going to add the leather for are $1600, but saw I could add the Rebel 12A package and get the leather, 12" Nav and 9 speakers w/AMP stereo.

5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine $1,995
33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445
Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group $3,000
Rebel 12A $2,495
Night Edition $525
Bed Utility Group $350
Comfort and Convenience Group $695
Rear Wheelhouse-Liners $195
NET PRICE
$58,215
I think that's a great choice. If the Rebel was available with ventilated seats I would have bought one of those instead of the Laramie I bought. It literally came down to that one thing for me LOL

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Are the ventilated seats worth that much? I'm in Texas and I've done without my whole life so I can't say one way or other. How much of a difference to do they make on a 100 degree day after the truck has baking in the sun shine all day?

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Well I had ventilated seats in my 2014 Laramie. I did use them here in Arizona during our 115 deg summers, but honestly it didn't make much of a difference in my opinion. Maybe things have improved with them these days.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are the ventilated seats worth that much? I'm in Texas and I've done without my whole life so I can't say one way or other. How much of a difference to do they make on a 100 degree day after the truck has baking in the sun shine all day?
They obviously were worth it for me since I based my decision on that LOL. Other people say they don't do much for them. We get 90-105 degree weather for about 6 weeks out of the year. But I use the ventilated seats most of the year, even in winter (although not as much). My biggest complaint about the 2017 Rebel I traded in for this Laramie was hot the seats felt, even on moderately warm days. A seat cover helped, but I was still uncomfortable. The ventilated seats completely eliminated that issue for me.

@PhillyPhan, since you had ventilated seats and they didn't do much for you, that's just one more reason to go with the Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread