5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie or Limited

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I would like to speak on the ride quality of the Limited and Laramie. I own a Laramie and I have driven 2 Limited's with air suspension. After driving the 2 Limited's I have no doubt that the Laramie is somehow smoother and offers a noticeably better ride quality. Has anybody else driven both trucks?
Maybe the 20's vs. 22's? :unsure: That's all I got.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe the 20's vs. 22's? :unsure: That's all I got.
I'd say the 20's might/should be "softer", The early Ltd's (back last Feb) had 20's then they shifted over to 22's which I didn't want (due to tire availability and ride). The more sidewall you have the softer it should be able to be.

jvs600

Reaction score
I'd say the 20's might/should be "softer", The early Ltd's (back last Feb) had 20's then they shifted over to 22's which I didn't want (due to tire availability and ride). The more sidewall you have the softer it should be able to be.
(y)

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie.
Folks are selling higher end tires and rims on this forum more than any other i have been on. if you dont like the standard rims deals are out there to be made.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Yep, which is one of the reasons I wanted the Laramie. Wish I'd picked one with a few more options (mainly sunroof, spray in bedliner, bed lights, and the safety system with LDW, adaptive cruise, 360 camera, etc.). But I love the ride quality as much as anything. After driving it for nine days now (has it been that long?), I don't think I'd be happy with 22's unless it rode exceptionally well. I wouldn't even mind 18's nowadays, but I don't know if you can even get them stock on a mid- to upper-trim level. Probably have to go aftermarket.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody else driven both trucks?
I've driven my dad's truck and mine and they are very close in ride quality. Mine's not a Laramie but I don't think it would ride different since it's the same drivetrain and suspension. I would say that my dad's rides a tad firmer than mine.

Me: 2019 | 1500 | Big Horn | 5.7L | CCSB | ORG | 18" wheels | no air suspension

Dad: 2020 | 1500 | Limited | 5.7L | CCSB | ORG | 20" wheels | air suspension

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies!
So I think I’m one if the only people that actually prefer the chrome look to the sport look (which is good for me as it’s cheaper).
I did love the Laramie, but I wish I would’ve just gotten it or stopped looking at that point. A week later I got in a limited, and wow that leather was nice! As I was at the dealer, another limited drove by with 22’s, and holy cow that thing looked SO nice and so much more luxury! Loved it!
But then reading more, i hear the limited gets considerably worse gas mileage, 22’s compromise the buttery smooth ride, oh and I just spent a lot more going from that Laramie up to this limited with 22’s lol.
Also, I know the v6 would be more than enough for me, but then everyone I talk to says anyone that gets a v6 in a full size truck is a moron. The sales guy basically said he wouldn’t sell me one (of course he was joking, but was saying it was a terrible decision). Said I’ll get killed on resale, and the power difference just in daily driving is significant and that I wouldn’t like the ride as much. Of course there are no v6’s around to drive.
You can add the chrome bodyside moldings aftermarket from Mopar.

I've heard the HK sound system and in my opinion the Alpine is every bit the same, and some say better. I also liked the louvered grill on the Laramie better than the Limited. I felt the Canyon Brown interior is the best looking interior of any trim line.

Ultimately, the Limited and Laramie Longhorn is not available in a Quad Cab and the standard 18" tires are cheaper than 20s or 22s.

Good luck with your choice.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029945 miles.

Turin

Reaction score
I wouldn't even mind 18's nowadays, but I don't know if you can even get them stock on a mid- to upper-trim level. Probably have to go aftermarket.
The stock wheels on a Laramie are 18". You practically need to custom order to get them, though, as most dealer inventory seems to be 20s. I don't see the appeal of large wheels/low-profile tires on a truck. 18s for me. :)

bigoldthor

Reaction score
The stock wheels on a Laramie are 18". You practically need to custom order to get them, though, as most dealer inventory seems to be 20s. I don't see the appeal of large wheels/low-profile tires on a truck. 18s for me. :)
Yeah, same. When I was a younger man, maybe I was more drawn to the looks. Now that I'm much older, the ride quality is the most important, though I do need to like the looks of the wheels, too.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, same. When I was a younger man, maybe I was more drawn to the looks. Now that I'm much older, the ride quality is the most important, though I do need to like the looks of the wheels, too.
My previous two 4th gens had 20 inch wheels and I thought they rode exceptionally well, and so did many others. Now maybe Ram fine tuned the suspension a bit on the 5th gens, but riding on 18 inch wheels I'd say my 2019 rides even better, and at least one of my steady riders feels the same.

Of course, besides the difference in tire size, there's also a difference in recommended air pressure with the '19 at 3 pounds less than my last two on 20 inch wheels.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029960 miles.

smashweights

Reaction score
If you want that many features and liked the limited look then get the limited and never look back. Ivory interior is still the best looking interior I've ever sat in. Ive had mine for 3 months now and I still get honked at stoplights cause I'm staring at the interior instead of waiting for the light to change.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sure the OP has already made his choice since he made this thread like 16 months ago. But for anyone else who may be trying to make this decision, I'm of the opinion that the trim level I choose is less important than getting what I want/need in a truck. Along with getting that at the best price I can. I don't really care if its a Laramie, Limited, or even a Tradesman, as long as I get what I want in a truck for what I feel is a good price.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
I love the look of my Limited with 35” RTs. The perfect mix of upscale and rugged.

whsk12

Reaction score
bought limited-like the leather-heated and cooled seats-air ride on 20s-rides nicer than my car!

Narg

Reaction score
I bought the Longhorn, which to me is equal to the Limited but much better looking all around. 20" wheels, though would have preferred 18" Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread