5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Longhorn Carpeted Floor Mat Deterioration

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have noticed that the factory Carpeted floor mats on my black and new saddle interior are starting to deteriorate 15594949961105425449826415801264.jpg

The carpet part is fine, but the black rubber is starting to turn chalky white. If you rub it with your finger, it feels powdery and you can smear it around.

This has started to happen on all three mats. Nobody has ever sat in the rear seat of my Longhorn, so I'm sure it wasn't something dragged in that is causing this phenomenon.

I wonder if during manufacturer, not enough plasticizer was used?

The mats look like they're 20 years old. My truck only has 2,000 Mike's on it.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at them when the truck goes in for the 2 recalls, dash squeaks, pano headliner ticks, clicks and first oil change.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:

Serge627

Reaction score
I have only had my longhorn for about a month, but my mats look good. Mine is a 3/2019 production truck

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have only had my longhorn for about a month, but my mats look good. Mine is a 3/2019 production truck
My truck was a September 2018 build. I took delivery in October. The mats looked fine until about a month ago, then they all started to look like they are decaying.

The truck is parked under a carport, where sun does not hit it.

The rubber is definitely deteriorating. It is also starting to feel sticky.

I may have to remove the mats before they start to ruin the actual carpet in the truck!

I noticed that the white chalky stuff on the driver's mat is starting to get dragged into the Carpeted part of the mat by the heel of my shoe.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck was a September 2018 build. I took delivery in October. The mats looked fine until about a month ago, then they all started to look like they are decaying.

The truck is parked under a carport, where sun does not hit it.

The rubber is definitely deteriorating. It is also starting to feel sticky.

I may have to remove the mats before they start to ruin the actual carpet in the truck!

I noticed that the white chalky stuff on the driver's mat is starting to get dragged into the Carpeted part of the mat by the heel of my shoe.

Sorry to see that. It definitely looks like bad rubber. I've got the Limited mats and have always thought they had a slightly odd feel to them. I've had no issues like you show but they just don't feel like normal floormat rubber.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Sorry to see that. It definitely looks like bad rubber. I've got the Limited mats and have always thought they had a slightly odd feel to them. I've had no issues like you show but they just don't feel like normal floormat rubber.
For some reason, they have
aged prematurely. I'm thinking the chemical composition ratio at manufacturer was incorrect.

I'm sure if mine are deteriorating, there has to be others out there as well.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
aged prematurely. I'm thinking the chemical composition ratio at manufacturer was incorrect.

Yea, I'll be keeping an eye on mine after seeing your picture.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Mine still look good, but I keep them “hydrated” with Griot’s Garage vinyl and rubber dressing, the truck lives in a garage, and I’m in Texas. So maybe I’ll see this in time...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm really hoping the dealer will just replace them under warranty. I was tempted to buy a spare set earlier on, but when I looked up the price, they were almost $700 for a complete set.

$700! :oops:

Fidomac

Reaction score
I have noticed that the factory Carpeted floor mats on my black and new saddle interior are starting to deteriorate View attachment 27080

The carpet part is fine, but the black rubber is starting to turn chalky white. If you rub it with your finger, it feels powdery and you can smear it around.

This has started to happen on all three mats. Nobody has ever sat in the rear seat of my Longhorn, so I'm sure it wasn't something dragged in that is causing this phenomenon.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at them when the truck goes in for the 2 recalls, dash squeaks, pano headliner ticks, clicks and first oil change.

Yes. I have used a chemical guy product on it with good results but probably temporary?

GAscooter

Reaction score
Very strange. I have the same ones, and at 3000 miles they still look new.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am at 18,000 miles and 9 months old now and my Limited mats still look fine. I did coat them with the meguiars dash protectant at the first cleaning. I would definitely see if the dealer will replace...

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I just found the mats on Amazon for $475. Quite the discount.

I scheduled my truck in for its first service at my dealer, Freedom Auto Group in Harrisburg PA, on the 18th. I am going to see if they'll replace the mats under warranty. They are oxidizing badly. If they don't, I'll have to fight with FCA to get them replaced.

I'm also going to get the oil and filter changed, along with having them attempt to fix the rrrrip noise in the dash, the ticky clicky headliner fasteners, the rear end transmission or differential clunk and the metallic suspension clank over railroad tracks. Geez, did I forget anything?

I am very fearful to let them touch my pristine interior! I will take time stamped photos of everything the day I drop the truck off. I've been through this before with other dealers in the past. The vehicles are never returned unscathed!

Link to a YouTube video I made about the dash noise when I first got the truck:

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I just found the mats on Amazon for $475. Quite the discount.

I scheduled my truck in for its first service at my dealer, Freedom Auto Group in Harrisburg PA, on the 18th. I am going to see if they'll replace the mats under warranty. They are oxidizing badly. If they don't, I'll have to fight with FCA to get them replaced.

I'm also going to get the oil and filter changed, along with having them attempt to fix the rrrrip noise in the dash, the ticky clicky headliner fasteners, the rear end transmission or differential clunk and the metallic suspension clank over railroad tracks. Geez, did I forget anything?

I am very fearful to let them touch my pristine interior! I will take time stamped photos of everything the day I drop the truck off. I've been through this before with other dealers in the past. The vehicles are never returned unscathed!

Link to a YouTube video I made about the dash noise when I first got the truck:

I just picked up my Laramie Longhorn last Thursday. Love the truck so far. Yesterday I went to the dealer to pick up my extra key fob that I was owed. While I was there, they said there was a recall to check the torque on the front stabilizer bar, as well as a recall for the seat belt pre-tensioner/ airbag program in the ECU. My build date was 2/23/19. It may be possible that is what is causing your noise. As far as the Longhorn floor mats, I'll keep a eye on them. I plan on using Weather Techs during the winter months since road salt will probably mess the mats up.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed that the factory Carpeted floor mats on my black and new saddle interior are starting to deteriorate View attachment 27080

Have you cleaned the rubber portion of the mat or treated it with any product? If so, could that have caused the premature deterioration. My Limited was purchased in August 2018 and the same style carpets look fine.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I just picked up my Laramie Longhorn last Thursday. Love the truck so far. Yesterday I went to the dealer to pick up my extra key fob that I was owed. While I was there, they said there was a recall to check the torque on the front stabilizer bar, as well as a recall for the seat belt pre-tensioner/ airbag program in the ECU. My build date was 2/23/19. It may be possible that is what is causing your noise. As far as the Longhorn floor mats, I'll keep a eye on them. I plan on using Weather Techs during the winter months since road salt will probably mess the mats up.
I got the seatbelt pre-tensioner recall on mine as well. It possibly could be the source of the noise if the module is in the dash. It could be a rapid fire of relay that is making the noise. The dealer is going to perform that recall on the 18th.

I've never heard anyone else complain if that particular noise.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Have you cleaned the rubber portion of the mat or treated it with any product? If so, could that have caused the premature deterioration. My Limited was purchased in August 2018 and the same style carpets look fine.
I have never touched the mats with anything. The truck is not my daily driver yet. I mainly bought it now for use when I retire. (I know, bad investment). There is only a little over 2,000 miles on the truck at this point.

I have never even cleaned the mats other than vacuuming them. No chemicals or silicone was ever applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/