5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie base Alpine Sound System

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
True. It will make it sound like you actually have speakers in the rear. I can't stand the soundstage sound. I prefer a more immersive "in the middle of it" experience instead of everything hitting you in the face. The 3ohm vs 4ohm is thing is overblown and not an issue. The Refs are LOUD!

Another thing I noticed is that with the stock Alpine set up there was a huge issue with switching from XM Radio to my Pandora. For whatever reason, if I set up the sound for one when I switched to the other it would sound terrible. When I put the Refs in the rear it cleaned all that up.
Just installed them and went on a 30 min drive. Huge improvement over the factory and they are loud as hell, I had to fade the radio two clicks forward to equalize the sound.

With that said my exhaust seems much louder now, maybe its in my head but by chance does RAM pump exhaust noise in through the radio?

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Just installed them and went on a 30 min drive. Huge improvement over the factory and they are loud as hell, I had to fade the radio two clicks forward to equalize the sound.

With that said my exhaust seems much louder now, maybe its in my head but by chance does RAM pump exhaust noise in through the radio?
I don't think they pump sound in. There is an active noise cancelling system that makes it quite. I wonder if you messed that up by accident or something.

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
I don't think they pump sound in. There is an active noise cancelling system that makes it quite. I wonder if you messed that up by accident or something.
As in the audio system does noise cancelation or there is some sort of valve on the exhaust?

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
The audio system does noise cancellation. I think it's from the front door speakers and the subwoofer.
Just to follow up I unplugged the amp under the seat and the noise went away. I have a post going in the ANC thread trying to figure out my next steps but I wanted to thank you for the help.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
just unplug anc wires. the way noise cancelling works is it creates the same frequency as the exhaust 180 degrees out of phase.

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
just unplug anc wires. the way noise cancelling works is it creates the same frequency as the exhaust 180 degrees out of phase.

The strange thing is I have been playing with it and have discovered that replacing the speakers in the back created the issue. I am assuming because they are better quality and there may be some sort of feedback loop happening. The other thing I noticed is its worse with the radio is in 2D and when I put it in surround mode it greatly reduces the number of times it acts up.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
try and flop the phase of the rear doors (reverse polarity)

Users who are viewing this thread