5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie base Alpine Sound System

F85stealth

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2020 Laramie with the base Alpine sound system. I want to upgrade the stock sound system and looking to make some major changes. I understand the doors use a plug for cabling instead of a grommet style so upgrading wires is not possible. Is the wiring for the tweeters in the door already even though my truck did not come with the tweeters? Wondering if the wiring harness is the same and wired for all trucks and just the door panel and speaker is not there. Thanks for the feedback.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2020 Laramie with the base Alpine sound system. I want to upgrade the stock sound system and looking to make some major changes. I understand the doors use a plug for cabling instead of a grommet style so upgrading wires is not possible. Is the wiring for the tweeters in the door already even though my truck did not come with the tweeters? Wondering if the wiring harness is the same and wired for all trucks and just the door panel and speaker is not there. Thanks for the feedback.
If you have the alpine system, you have 3.5" "tweeters" in the dash.

F85stealth

Reaction score
I realize that. The harman kardon systems have tweeters in the door though. I am wondering if the wiring harness for the door is the same between all model trucks so the wire is there for me to use and just missing the actual tweeter?

Brunzca

Reaction score
I realize that. The harman kardon systems have tweeters in the door though. I am wondering if the wiring harness for the door is the same between all model trucks so the wire is there for me to use and just missing the actual tweeter?
Unless the Laramie is different for some reason, the Alpine system is not pre-wired for tweeters in the doors. The harness in the door only has a single wire to the mid-bass speakers in the lower doors.

However, the molex plug in the doors (at least in my ‘21 Bighorn) already has an opening in the middle, so when I ran wires for tweeters, I didn’t have to drill them, the only difficult part was fishing it through the rubber boot/sheathing.

Rh811

Reaction score
It is possible to fish new wire through door although somewhat a pain. I did this as well as run a new wire for tweeters in sail panel

F85stealth

Reaction score
Unless the Laramie is different for some reason, the Alpine system is not pre-wired for tweeters in the doors. The harness in the door only has a single wire to the mid-bass speakers in the lower doors.

However, the molex plug in the doors (at least in my ‘21 Bighorn) already has an opening in the middle, so when I ran wires for tweeters, I didn’t have to drill them, the only difficult part was fishing it through the rubber boot/sheathing.
Any pics when you did this?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Any pics when you did this?
Sorry, no pics. The molex plug had wires running through the top and bottom section, the middle was literally just an open hole through to the inside, just had to run the wire through, then find it

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Just curious, sounds like you want to install separate tweeters in the doors. Why not just get some high quality 3-way or 4-way 6X9s for the doors? It makes a huge difference. Completely changes the sound for the better.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
y
Just curious, sounds like you want to install separate tweeters in the doors. Why not just get some high quality 3-way or 4-way 6X9s for the doors? It makes a huge difference. Completely changes the sound for the better.
with the alpine system the door are crossed over rather low. i believe it was under 2000hz so unless your going to bypass the factory amp its kind of a waste.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
y

with the alpine system the door are crossed over rather low. i believe it was under 2000hz so unless your going to bypass the factory amp its kind of a waste.
I put Infinity Refs 6X9s in the rear doors and it made a massive improvement. I read that the front door speakers are wired for bass only, so I didn't mess with those as they probably wouldn't benefit from a 3-way speaker. But just swapping out the rear doors was huge. The clarity, volume and bass response was significantly improved.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because 3-way or 4-way speakers never sound as good as properly placed separate components

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Does infinity make a direct replacement for the Alpine subwoofer? I wouldn't mind replacing mine with a shallow one and maybe replacing the rear door speakers with infinity refs and the dash 3.5s. Other than that I like my alpine system and I had replaced all my base speakers in my previous truck with infinity's it was a night and day difference.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Does infinity make a direct replacement for the Alpine subwoofer? I wouldn't mind replacing mine with a shallow one and maybe replacing the rear door speakers with infinity refs and the dash 3.5s. Other than that I like my alpine system and I had replaced all my base speakers in my previous truck with infinity's it was a night and day difference.
Don't know about the sub. I only did the rear doors and dash. Massive improvement.

sppb32

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie with the Alpine system and it was very easy to run new wire to the door, there's plenty of room in the boot and nothing in the way, it took me 10 minutes to do both front doors with a piece of wire to to guide them through.
A good 6x9 component kit is the best way to go our trucks have a nice place to install the tweeters that bring up the front staging to hear levels instead of having twitters by your feet (completely useless), this is what i did 20200711_104615.jpg

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
I put Infinity Refs 6X9s in the rear doors and it made a massive improvement. I read that the front door speakers are wired for bass only, so I didn't mess with those as they probably wouldn't benefit from a 3-way speaker. But just swapping out the rear doors was huge. The clarity, volume and bass response was significantly improved.
Thanks! I just found them on amazon for $83 and am going to give them a try as I find the base alpine system a little muddy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those are 4ohm speakers. Factory speakers are 3ohm. They may be "cleaner" but will require more volume to match volume of factory speakers. And if the rest of the speakers aren't matched, will throw off the sound stage

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Those are 4ohm speakers. Factory speakers are 3ohm. They may be "cleaner" but will require more volume to match volume of factory speakers. And if the rest of the speakers aren't matched, will throw off the sound stage
True. It will make it sound like you actually have speakers in the rear. I can't stand the soundstage sound. I prefer a more immersive "in the middle of it" experience instead of everything hitting you in the face. The 3ohm vs 4ohm is thing is overblown and not an issue. The Refs are LOUD!

Another thing I noticed is that with the stock Alpine set up there was a huge issue with switching from XM Radio to my Pandora. For whatever reason, if I set up the sound for one when I switched to the other it would sound terrible. When I put the Refs in the rear it cleaned all that up.

Users who are viewing this thread