5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lane assist turning off repeatedly

Jkurtz

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn. Recently my lane assist keeps turning off while driving. This weekend while on a highway with clear paint lines the system turned off six times. I took it to the dealer and they said everything checked out fine. That was a couple weeks ago. Clearly it isn’t fine.

Anyone else having this happen? Any thoughts as to what the problem is?

Larry Crim

Reaction score
I had a simular issue once when it was new, I went aroung and cleaned all the camera's with windex and havn't had the issue since

Jkurtz

Reaction score
I had a simular issue once when it was new, I went aroung and cleaned all the camera's with windex and havn't had the issue since
That's a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

James1414d

Reaction score
Mine is working much better then when I first got it. It's now at 5000 miles. I suspect it has an adaptive memory.

RoosterWyo

Reaction score
I did notice lane assist will turn off of the vehicle detects that your hands are not on the steering wheel. Luckily for me, it thinks a knee is a hand. No audible alerts, but prompts come up in the Guage cluster and then off it goes.

~Rooster
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get this alot. Let me guess... You have very straight roads.

For whatever reason RAM decided that if the driver isn't making small wheel adjustments then they must be driving without there hands on the wheel. Then after a few warnings, it turns off the system.

It's really stupid and I find it highly annoying. What's the point of a safety feature if it gets turned off for doing what its primary intent is.

RoosterWyo

Reaction score
After reading this post, I realized that my lane assist also turns off on its own, without the "put your hands back on the wheel " warnings that I mentioned earlier. Haven't figured out why.

And to be fair, when it told me to put my hands back on the wheel, I was totally not touching the wheel, playing with - I mean testing the lane assist.

~Rooster
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Jkurtz

Reaction score
I did notice lane assist will turn off of the vehicle detects that your hands are not on the steering wheel. Luckily for me, it thinks a knee is a hand. No audible alerts, but prompts come up in the Guage cluster and then off it goes.

~Rooster
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I do get the message that says my hands are not on the wheel, but they always are. It does not show that each time the system turns off though. It isn’t consistent.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine turns off too. I started watching and listening for the warning message and chime. I believe I was missing the message and couldn't hear the chime with the radio up. Mine is consistent. I do wish it was more sensitive to driver input because a flat straight road with hands on the wheel doesn't require much steering effort and prompts me to wiggle the wheel or it'll turn off.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine turns off too. I started watching and listening for the warning message and chime. I believe I was missing the message and couldn't hear the chime with the radio up. Mine is consistent. I do wish it was more sensitive to driver input because a flat straight road with hands on the wheel doesn't require much steering effort and prompts me to wiggle the wheel or it'll turn off.
Yep... I've driven a number of vehicles with Lane assist. None have done that. It's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread