5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of keyless entry sensors on rear doors still annoying AF 6 months into ownership.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Happy with my Ram but am still annoyed that Ram cheaped out by not including keyless entry sensors on the rear doors. Even ignoring times when I have rear seat passengers, I use my rear seat a lot for storing stuff. While I usually remember to touch the front door handles first before opening the rear doors, it isn't convenient, and sometimes I forget.

If the point of keyless entry is to be easier than using a key fob to unlock the doors, then why handicap that convenience by leaving the sensors off the rear doors.

Sure, it saves them some money, but keyless entry is a premium feature only available on Laramie and above, so if we're paying for it, they should implement it properly.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happy with my Ram but am still annoyed that Ram cheaped out by not including keyless entry sensors on the rear doors. Even ignoring times when I have rear seat passengers, I use my rear seat a lot for storing stuff. While I usually remember to touch the front door handles first before opening the rear doors, it isn't convenient, and sometimes I forget.

If the point of keyless entry is to be easier than using a key fob to unlock the doors, then why handicap that convenience by leaving the sensors off the rear doors.

Sure, it saves them some money, but keyless entry is a premium feature only available on Laramie and above, so if we're paying for it, they should implement it properly.
What car has rear keyless entry?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fortunately for me I don't drive from the back seat, so this hasn't been an issue.

When I do have to go into the back, it doesn't take much effort to touch the front handle...

First world problems 😂
You're absolutely right, but once you get used to these convenience features, they’re hard to live without.

I thought keyless entry was a gimmick the first time I owned a car with it (2006 Charger RT). First time I owned a car with push button start (2013 Ford Fusion), I thought they was a gimmick, too.

Then I was driving a rental car on vacation, and I’d sit in the car like an idiot wondering how to start it. Oh yeah, I gotta take the keys out of my pocket (just like the bad old days in Charger).

Before I bought my first Ram, I was shopping midsize trucks. I dismissed the GM twins because they didn’t have push button start; that once gimmick was now a necessity. Our expectations are continually elevated.

Yep, we’re spoiled by modern amenities, but it’s nice to be spoiled.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never owned a vehicle with passive entry on the rear doors so I'm not missing it. It's become second nature for me to first touch the front door handle before opening the rear door, so I can see how it might be a little annoying if you were used to having it on the rear doors. Habits are tough to change LOL

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run into the same issue.. The worst is when I'm carrying my toddler, the diaper bag, my work bag, and forgot to manually unlock the doors before I grabbed everything. ...putting **** down to dig into my pocket for my 'keyless' fob and manually unlock the door is a pain. Cuss the design everytime.. though, I 'think' my Ford trucks worked the same way.

First world problems. 🤔

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I run into the same issue.. The worst is when I'm carrying my toddler, the diaper bag, my work bag, and forgot to manually unlock the doors before I grabbed everything. ...putting **** down to dig into my pocket for my 'keyless' fob and manually unlock the door is a pain. Cuss the design everytime.. though, I 'think' my Ford trucks worked the same way.

First world problems. 🤔
Why don't you just reach over and touch the front door handle instead of setting everything down to pull out your fob?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree they cheaped out on this one.
I don't think I'm unique in that I put stuff in the back seat BEFORE I open the driver door. We ALL do this.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Push button start is still a gimmick to me. I’d much rather have a physical ignition key
I'm the opposite. My Audi is kind of a "tweener". It has a fob, but I have to insert it into a slot in the dash to start the car. It's a pain when switching back and forth between the two vehicles. I don't at all miss having to insert and turn a key to start my truck.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why don't you just reach over and touch the front door handle instead of setting everything down to pull out your fob?
Mine only unlocks the front DS door when I do this. I'm guessing it's a menu option to unlock all doors when you touch the front handle?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The button is only a gimmick if you have to also use a key, like on the old Honda S2000 or similar cars.

Having the key in my pocket or my wife's purse, touching my fingers to open the door and pushing a button to start is so convenient and easy. I love the fact the tailgate is also part of the system.

Which does make me wonder why they didn't do the back doors as well, they put the keyless touch on the front doors and tailgate, why not the back doors :)

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agreed annoying as all hell.. wifeys Acadia has em and I ***** everytime i realize the Ram doesn't!

Users who are viewing this thread