5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of grease - Slip joint/yoke

frostmen

Reaction score
I posted this back in 12/2021 and wondering if anything new has surfaced on this issue. They dropped the drive shaft and greased the slip joint and the truck operated normally for a few months and this issue has started again. I hate to think that this is the norm. Here is my original post: I purchased a new 2021 Ram/Big Horn 5.7 Hemi V8 crew cab rear wheel drive back in 01/2021. Started having an issue a couple of months after taking possession where when coming to a stop light and when proceeding forward, the truck would jerk slightly, like the brakes were locked and releasing. Took the truck in to the dealership and they stated that it sounded like the carrier bearing. He went on to say the factory had some inferior carrier bearings that were installed and this issue was on crew cabs only. Stated that if this was the issue that the carrier bearing and drive shaft would need to be replaced. I dropped if off this morning at the dealership for diagnosis and repair. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and could offer some insight/advice. Truck has 12K miles now,

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have this problem, and I would say that "most" of the members on the TRX forum are complaining about it as well. No known fix yet - supposedly Ram is working on it, but I'm not hopeful that they'll publish a solution.
I haven't tried greasing the slip yoke but, like you, many others have done so and the problem reappears after a while. I'm not personally convinced that this is the correct "fix", it just masks the real problem. I'm curious about this carrier bearing thing - it's the first time I've heard that theory.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a big problem in the 2007-14 gm trucks, the nickel plating on the slip yoke was garbage and cause it to bind up.

Some guys greased the yoke, some stuffed a rubber ball in the yoke and some put a strong spring. This only worked on the 2wd models as the tail shaft had a seal to prevent any grease from getting into the transmission. 4wd the only option was a new yoke.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve greased mine 3 times with PTFE designed for driveshafts. Keeps coming back.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
I have same issue with my 2020 BH since I have 12K and now 24K still same issue every time I come to full stop and start. Felt like someone rear ended my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread