5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kooks Shorties for 2021

ais122

Reaction score
Anyone try putting on a set of Kooks Torque Series Shorty's for a 2021 (non-TRX/Rebel).

I called Kooks today they told me that they were designed for the 2020s but that there shouldn't be a compatibility issue for the 2021s. Just figured I'd ask to see if anyone tried them before I went with the purchase, thanks.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI, shorties for the cost and installation are not worth the money or effort. If you’re going that far you’re best bet would be catted longtubes.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI, shorties for the cost and installation are not worth the money or effort. If you’re going that far you’re best bet would be catted longtubes.
Besides the price difference going to longtubes, you'd also need a tune, which could void the warranty.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Need might be too strong a word here. They will simply bolt in place and possibly give a slight increase to the stock truck. To get all the available power, you would need a tune.

ais122

Reaction score
A custom tune will be in the works after the factory 50k warranty expires. FWIW, I don't think anyone on the forums are going to put a full exhaust, intake, headers and not tune their vehicle... just seems like common sense. It also doesn't make sense to custom tune a truck before all the parts are put on... at least that's my opinion.

That said, just needed to know if the Kooks shorties fit as a bolt on. Don't really need to get a debate of long v. shorties as everyone wants a specific header for a particular application... don't think there's a right or wrong as long as you're happy with the end result. That said, anyone with any thoughts?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A custom tune will be in the works after the factory 50k warranty expires. FWIW, I don't think anyone on the forums are going to put a full exhaust, intake, headers and not tune their vehicle... just seems like common sense. It also doesn't make sense to custom tune a truck before all the parts are put on... at least that's my opinion.

That said, just needed to know if the Kooks shorties fit as a bolt on. Don't really need to get a debate of long v. shorties as everyone wants a specific header for a particular application... don't think there's a right or wrong as long as you're happy with the end result. That said, anyone with any thoughts?
Exhaust and intake wouldn't warrant a tune. The headers mostly to recalibrate for the different O2 positions. Keep in mind that you might lose some low end torque with the headers. You'll usually gain up top.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Best part of getting a custom tune for the truck is it's easy to change the tune. Most use an email tuner option, so any changes you make after initial tune, you just get gold of your tuner, tell them what you changed, and they send a new tune. I know tuners who offer unlimited adjustments after initial tune purchase. So yes, it can make sense to read the benefits of a custom tune even before all the parts are on. And being a performance guy, projects are never finished, most people will always change parts, or add more requiring different tunes. I have a file in my computer with at least 10 different tunes for my Dakota from changes I have made over the years.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It 100% makes sense to tune an otherwise stock truck. It was the first thing I did to my truck and a custom tune alone will make the biggest difference in power and drivability. TCM tuning alone is far worth it. Any decent tuner will send you free revisions as you add parts to the truck after the initial tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread