5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KO2 vs AT3W in Winter Conditions

Flemminr

Reaction score
Looking at new tires in the 285/65R20 size and have it narrowed down to another set of BFG K02's or changing it up and going with the Falken Wildpeek AT3W. I'm currently running a smaller size of the KO2's and have been generally happy with them. I was about to buy another set of those but the AT3W's come in almost $400 cheaper for a set so I'm taking a serious look at those.

I live in northern Canada and regularly see -40°C temperatures in the winter and am driving in snow and on hard packed snow/ice for 6 months of the year. The KO2's always stayed relatively soft and provided great traction. I know the AT3W's are snowflake rated but I don't personally know anyone running them so wondering if anyone here can share their opinion on how AT3W's are in the winter.

Gatekeeper59

Reaction score
I had them on my GMC for about 40,000 miles until I sold it and bought my Ram. They did well in the snow for an all terrain tire. I liked them. They did get noticebly louder after they had 35,000 miles on them. But I guess that's to be expected.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at new tires in the 285/65R20 size and have it narrowed down to another set of BFG K02's or changing it up and going with the Falken Wildpeek AT3W. I'm currently running a smaller size of the KO2's and have been generally happy with them. I was about to buy another set of those but the AT3W's come in almost $400 cheaper for a set so I'm taking a serious look at those.

I live in northern Canada and regularly see -40°C temperatures in the winter and am driving in snow and on hard packed snow/ice for 6 months of the year. The KO2's always stayed relatively soft and provided great traction. I know the AT3W's are snowflake rated but I don't personally know anyone running them so wondering if anyone here can share their opinion on how AT3W's are in the winter.
Some earlier reviews on here were very positive. I haven’t personally had enough snow experience with them to judge (and I liked my KO2s on past trucks).

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Also in northern Canada and while I have no experience with KO2's, I did purchase a set of AT3's but haven't mounted them yet. Just sitting in a garage in Edmonton. With Covid and the isolation rules I really don't want to lose out on 2 weeks of work just to drive down and grab them. Can report back here when I eventually get them on the truck, but by all accounts they handle pretty well in the winter. Who knows though, I've yet to see anyone put it thru a proper northern Canada winter.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Also in northern Canada and while I have no experience with KO2's, I did purchase a set of AT3's but haven't mounted them yet. Just sitting in a garage in Edmonton. With Covid and the isolation rules I really don't want to lose out on 2 weeks of work just to drive down and grab them. Can report back here when I eventually get them on the truck, but by all accounts they handle pretty well in the winter. Who knows though, I've yet to see anyone put it thru a proper northern Canada winter.
Just to update in case anyone was wondering - I got my Falkens mounted first week of the year and they handled really well during the coldest months we get where I live. I took them on an extended 600 ish miles trip about 4 days after install and they were way way way more capable on the icy/snowy winter highway conditions I drove thru than the stock tires (understandably). I felt so much more comfortable driving highway speeds with them and while you're always going to be screwed no matter what tire you use on straight ice, these were an added security and braked as well as you could hope for. Handles deep snow very well also (took it ice fishing on a lake with no visibly packed trails).

Overall I'd say they're worth it, especially if you can get them on a deal like I did. Gets my stamp of approval and I was skeptical at first.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Falken makes me look like a better driver than I am in the snow. Quiet. Decent ride on 285/60r20s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had a set of KO2s as well as the falken wildpeak at3w's, the falkens were just as good as the KO2s if not better. For the price at the time I bought the falkens (a few years ago), they were an absolute bargain vs the KO2s, would buy them again in a heartbeat. In addition to plenty of snow and ice driving in upstate NY, we also just drove back from TX a few months back in February during all of the ice and snow storms down there. The falkens were awesome, rarely even needing 4wd on a 16 hour day from Bryan TX to Nashville...and the tires had about 30k miles on them at that point.

My 21 longhorn that I am waiting on has the factory wildpeaks (at3wa) and I know they are a little different than the at3w, but I'm hoping they will still be satisfactory for what I need them for. Otherwise, I'll start looking for the at3w to replace the stock tires.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Have had a set of KO2s as well as the falken wildpeak at3w's, the falkens were just as good as the KO2s if not better. For the price at the time I bought the falkens (a few years ago), they were an absolute bargain vs the KO2s, would buy them again in a heartbeat. In addition to plenty of snow and ice driving in upstate NY, we also just drove back from TX a few months back in February during all of the ice and snow storms down there. The falkens were awesome, rarely even needing 4wd on a 16 hour day from Bryan TX to Nashville...and the tires had about 30k miles on them at that point.

My 21 longhorn that I am waiting on has the factory wildpeaks (at3wa) and I know they are a little different than the at3w, but I'm hoping they will still be satisfactory for what I need them for. Otherwise, I'll start looking for the at3w to replace the stock tires.

I agree. Great tires. Price difference for the 285/60r20s was $100. Got the falkens for 300 and ko2s were 399. Love the look as well.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Great tires. Price difference for the 285/60r20s was $100. Got the falkens for 300 and ko2s were 399. Love the look as well.

Oh nice, that's a pretty good savings. For that kind of price you can't go wrong, I think I saved about $75/tire on mine in stock 4th gen size (275/60/20). I didn't have any issues with the KO2s, but why pay more?

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Oh nice, that's a pretty good savings. For that kind of price you can't go wrong, I think I saved about $75/tire on mine in stock 4th gen size (275/60/20). I didn't have any issues with the KO2s, but why pay more?

So check this out. Client of mine was deciding between falkens and ko2s. We both bought them st the same time and he walks in Friday and tells me the ko2s are crazy loud. Told him drive mine. Comes back. Shakes head says. Damn you can’t hear them. So yeah. Good tires so far. About 3000 miles so far. A few long road trips and took it on some fire roads and ver small climbs. 3 times. Not much tire spin. Very good tire so far. Good on gravel and soft dirt. Also very good ok sandy soils.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to put after market tires on my 2021 ram. My local reliable mechanic/tire shop recommended the AT3W. Said they were very good tires. I decide to keep the crappy factory tires as I plan on trading in in 3 years with 25,000 miles or so! Good luck in whatever you go with👍🏻

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’ve run both on 5th gens in snow. Toss up in my opinion. Can’t go wrong! 84DACD8B-A4F8-4688-83E8-B123CF1AD35B.jpeg

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So check this out. Client of mine was deciding between falkens and ko2s. We both bought them st the same time and he walks in Friday and tells me the ko2s are crazy loud. Told him drive mine. Comes back. Shakes head says. Damn you can’t hear them. So yeah. Good tires so far. About 3000 miles so far. A few long road trips and took it on some fire roads and ver small climbs. 3 times. Not much tire spin. Very good tire so far. Good on gravel and soft dirt. Also very good ok sandy soils.

Glad to hear they are working out well for you! Mine are still pretty quiet even at around 35k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread