5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Known issues 2019 Ram 1500 new body

RogerRamjet

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 new body Bighorn spec truck and the dealer talked me into taking the extended warranty through a company called MPP.

The truck has 26k miles so there are approximately 10k miles left of factory warranty or about 9 months.

The truck has had all the factory recalls taken care of as of today.

I paid just under $4k for the 7 year 84k miles extended warranty that supposedly covers everything the factory warranty covers.

Can you let me know how reliable this model and year of Ram 1500 is - are there any known issues that are likely to rear their ugly heads in the next few years or miles?

I really want to cancel the warranty and get my money back as I generally do not take out a vehicle warranty.

Thanks in advance of any information and or comments.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your dealer screwed you! There are plenty of posts on this site for https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ where you can purchase a genuine FCA Chrylser extended warranty. MPP is a joke based upon my first hand experience. Get a refund from the dealer and purchase one from chryslerfactoryplans.com.

You can check out their site and get a quote on line to see how bad your dealer screwed you. Use PAYINFULL for the discount code, pay for it in full and you'll get a smoking deal. Also, you can do a search of this forum to find other codes for a lesser discount but then you can finance it with FCA for 12 months with no interest.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like NorthStar said, you can get genuine warranties for cheaper. With my truck under 5k miles I got a Zeigler plan for 125k miles for under $1800, although with yours higher in miles the rates will be higher.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone - I recently purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 new body Bighorn spec truck and the dealer talked me into taking the extended warranty through a company called MPP.

The truck has 26k miles so there are approximately 10k miles left of factory warranty or about 9 months.

I paid just under $4k for the 7 year 84k miles extended warranty that supposedly covers everything the factory warranty covers.

Can you let me know how reliable this model and year of Ram 1500 is - are there any known issues that are likely to rear their ugly heads in the next few years or miles?

I really want to cancel the warranty and get my money back as I generally do not take out a vehicle warranty.

I'm not sure what your warranty policy covers, but here are a few considerations:
  • A small percentage of folks on this website have suffered hydraulic valve lifter/camshaft failures. There are too many theories on why this happens to list here, but there's an underling belief that motor oil quality either is the cause or a contributing factor coupled with high idle hours.
  • The Center High Mounted Stop Light at the outside rear of the cab roof gasket failure causing water intrusion
  • Cracked rear window frames causing water intrusion. (This appears to only affect sliding glass windows.)
  • Twelve inch touch screen issues
  • Unsatisfactory AC Performance on some vehicles (now part of a TSB)
  • Premature battery failures (I suspect a bad battery in a 2019 would've already been replaced.)
I may have forgotten some. This is not an inclusive list, but represents issues that would be primarily expensive, exceptionally annoying or more common than others. I'm sure others will chime in.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053750 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Get your money back and buy one from Chrysler if you think you need one. Otherwise put that money aside for any repairs you might need after the factory warranty expires. But either way, cancel that sucker ASAP.

Mario CPA

Reaction score

I've used the Chrysler Ziegler factory warranties. Had one on a 2014 Grand Cherokee and one on a 2015 Challenger. The warranty was reasonable online and if you get rid of the vehicle you before the warranty expires you get a prorated refund. I've purchased the $0 deductible plans and they are worth it.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your warranty policy covers, but here are a few considerations:
  • A small percentage of folks on this website have suffered hydraulic valve lifter/camshaft failures. There are too many theories on why this happens to list here, but there's an underling belief that motor oil quality either is the cause or a contributing factor coupled with high idle hours.
  • The Center High Mounted Stop Light at the outside rear of the cab roof gasket failure causing water intrusion
  • Cracked rear window frames causing water intrusion. (This appears to only affect sliding glass windows.)
  • Twelve inch touch screen issues
  • Unsatisfactory AC Performance on some vehicles (now part of a TSB)
  • Premature battery failures (I suspect a bad battery in a 2019 would've already been replaced.)
I may have forgotten some. This is not an inclusive list, but represents issues that would be primarily expensive, exceptionally annoying or more common than others. I'm sure others will chime in.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053750 miles.
The 'HEMI Tick' unfortunately is something that's plagued HEMI-powered vehicles since 2002, and it's not 'just' because of lifter issues. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are even more common that lifter tick, and exhibit the exact same symptoms: The engine ticks a bit during start-up... more pronounced and longer duration when cold vs. a warmed-up engine... and goes away once the engine warms up (and the exhaust manifold metal heats up and expands to tighten the seal back up).

If it's the lifters, that can sometimes be 'cured' by changing oil viscosity and/or brands (didn't work for me, though... so, broken manifold bolts it is, and I even found the offender right before trading my 2012 in for my 2021).

Either way, FCA says it's not an issue and won't cause damage to the engine, so don't worry about it. Just their fun way of avoiding bankruptcy by liability. There's something to that, however, as my 2012 never had issues or suffered poor performance in the 6.5 years I had it (3 years of 'the tick').

Ickabod

Reaction score
The only issues I have had with my 2019 was the howling brakes (replaced) and the weak A/C. I didn't want the dealer tearing apart my dash to fix the A/C, so I just use the A/C hack that has been discussed on this forum. 36k miles and running like a champ. This is including towing my 25ft boat.
I would get my money back from the 3rd party warranty. Remember, the powertrain is covered for 100k miles. Enjoy the new ride!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 'HEMI Tick' unfortunately is something that's plagued HEMI-powered vehicles since 2002, and it's not 'just' because of lifter issues. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are even more common that lifter tick, and exhibit the exact same symptoms: The engine ticks a bit during start-up... more pronounced and longer duration when cold vs. a warmed-up engine... and goes away once the engine warms up (and the exhaust manifold metal heats up and expands to tighten the seal back up).

If it's the lifters, that can sometimes be 'cured' by changing oil viscosity and/or brands (didn't work for me, though... so, broken manifold bolts it is, and I even found the offender right before trading my 2012 in for my 2021).

Either way, FCA says it's not an issue and won't cause damage to the engine, so don't worry about it. Just their fun way of avoiding bankruptcy by liability. There's something to that, however, as my 2012 never had issues or suffered poor performance in the 6.5 years I had it (3 years of 'the tick').
Yes. The broken exhaust manifold studs seemed to be more of a problem on 4th gen Rams. He was asking about a 2019, which is a 5th gen. Although I've read a couple of reports of cracked exhaust manifolds recently, I don't remember anyone reporting just broken studs on a 5th gen.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053848 miles.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all of you for the responses - I kind of knew I was getting ripped off - I am cancelling the warranty ASAP and looking into the Chrysler one instead.
Don’t let the dealer give you some story about not being able to cancel it or tell you Ziegler’s warranty isn’t as good as the $4000 warranty they sold you.

Dealers try every trick in the book including outright lying to customers to get them to keep an extended warranty they sold…which in this case they made over $2000 in pure profit on the sale of the extended warranty. I just hope they didn’t pinch you on GAP insurance too.

U

User_3336

Thanks all of you for the responses - I kind of knew I was getting ripped off - I am cancelling the warranty ASAP and looking into the Chrysler one instead.
Yes, CANCEL that 3rd party warranty immediately, and go with a Geniune Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty.

As stated, Zeigler is a good place to buy at a good price. there is a surcharge after 12 months/12000 miles, but still should be a lot more affordable than the one you are cancelling.

the Forum promo code of "PAYINFULL" is still active for $365 off the posted internet prices!!!

www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary

RogerRamjet

Reaction score
Don’t let the dealer give you some story about not being able to cancel it or tell you Ziegler’s warranty isn’t as good as the $4000 warranty they sold you.

Dealers try every trick in the book including outright lying to customers to get them to keep an extended warranty they sold…which in this case they made over $2000 in pure profit on the sale of the extended warranty. I just hope they didn’t pinch you on GAP insurance too.
Thanks again Northstar - I really appreciate the advice.

RogerRamjet

Reaction score
Yes, CANCEL that 3rd party warranty immediately, and go with a Geniune Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty.

As stated, Zeigler is a good place to buy at a good price. there is a surcharge after 12 months/12000 miles, but still should be a lot more affordable than the one you are cancelling.

the Forum promo code of "PAYINFULL" is still active for $365 off the posted internet prices!!!

www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary
This is great information - thanks for taking the time to post Greg

Users who are viewing this thread