5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knocking noise under front end...

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should describe it as a knocking noise, maybe a tap tap here and there, almost like a rock hitting the underside. It only happens when on rough ground, going over bumps, etc, and it's not anything constant or consistent... it's random, although often. Seems like something loose under the front. I don't notice anything affecting the steering or ride.

I had Motofab spacers put on the front and back, then had those removed and had Bilstein 5100's installed on the front. Is there anything I can check there to see if something was put back together or installed incorrectly? I don't want to take it back to the dealer before I verify if the shop may have caused it. Which I will take it back to them anyway, but curious if anyone might know off hand what it could possibly be.

Regards,
Sonnie

spark

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should describe it as a knocking noise, maybe a tap tap here and there, almost like a rock hitting the underside. It only happens when on rough ground, going over bumps, etc, and it's not anything constant or consistent... it's random, although often. Seems like something loose under the front. I don't notice anything affecting the steering or ride.

I had Motofab spacers put on the front and back, then had those removed and had Bilstein 5100's installed on the front. Is there anything I can check there to see if something was put back together or installed incorrectly? I don't want to take it back to the dealer before I verify if the shop may have caused it. Which I will take it back to them anyway, but curious if anyone might know off hand what it could possibly be.

Regards,
Sonnie

Check the nut that holds the tie rod on, there is a TSB out there for it I believe. I think its an 18mm socket. I had the same problem and found that on both sides the nut was loose. 5 minutes with a socket wrench fixed the problem

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna take it in first thing tomorrow... the wife and I noticed it happening a lot more tonight... very frequent. Something is loose for sure.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Regards,
Sonnie

I have the same issue. Still haven't found the cause. Let me know what you find out. Happens only on "wash board" type surfaces. I checked all the nuts and bolts. I'll have to re-check again.

Last edited:

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Still haven't found the cause. Let me know what you find out. Happens only on "wash board" type surfaces. I checked all the nuts and bolts. I'll have to re-check again.
I found it... I guess this is part of the sway bar on the drivers side. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I really don't know. If I grab it and move it... it is loose and makes the noise I'm hearing. The other side is tight... and I noticed when they installed the Bilsteins, they did not put the same nuts on each side when they put these back together. They crossed them up... one on top, one on bottom, the other side has the opposites nuts on top and bottom. Do the nuts make a difference?

1598560564954.png

Attachments

• 1598560224756.png
    1598560224756.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 24

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Yes, those bolts in your pics are for the sway bar. I know I checked the TQ on my sway bar. I'll double check. Also, I think the nuts on the bolts are on the "inside" of the truck. I'll double check in a bit.

So you tightened it down an the noise went away?

EDIT: here is how the sway bar should be mouted to the end links. Don't pay too much attention to the arrows (it's from another post).
7_fr_stab.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

ArtieD

Reaction score
Mine Come in the same way both sides , its hard to tell by your pics , I would take it back and tell them to re torque everything they can get to, its not unusual for stuff to loosen up after a few miles , seems like a quick fix though ,

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not my sway bar causing the issue. Everything is nice a snug. Not sure what's causing my issue.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I could not get it tight... when I turn the nut it turns the bolt. I don't have the right tools to get to it so that I can work with it. I guess I have to use a wrench to hold the end of the bolt and a wrench to tighten the nut. Otherwise, it's broke if the bolt is not suppose to turn. The passenger side is tight... very tight. Anyway... the guys that put my Bilsteins on are going to get it right about 7:30 in the morning.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I could not get it tight... when I turn the nut it turns the bolt. I don't have the right tools to get to it so that I can work with it. I guess I have to use a wrench to hold the end of the bolt and a wrench to tighten the nut. Otherwise, it's broke if the bolt is not suppose to turn. The passenger side is tight... very tight. Anyway... the guys that put my Bilsteins on are going to get it right about 7:30 in the morning.

I didn't need anything holding bolt. Mine didn't spin freely. Let us know if the shop is able to fix the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread