5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KN cabin air filter makes a difference!

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replaced the stock filter on my 19 that was mildly dirty with the KN Equivalent. Immediately noticed a difference in airflow. ‘Felt’ like airflow was much better through all fan speeds. This can only help the underpowered AC. If you haven’t swapped your filter, do it. It’s going to be dirty and the KN is washable and supports more air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downsc123

Reaction score
I assume the part number is VF2065? How was the fit up? Any gaps where air can flow around it?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume the part number is VF2065? How was the fit up? Any gaps where air can flow around it?

Yep, that’s the part number and it’s a perfect fit. Doesn’t seem to matter which side is up or down for flow. No markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're getting more airflow in the same sized filter, that means it's filtering less, which makes sense because they want it to be reusable... that's all there is to it. And a washable filter? No thanks. Filters get disgusting, and no amount of washing will return to new condition.

dwalme

Reaction score
Or the old filter was just dirty which will reduce air flow.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, it's been a year+ so it must be cruddy. My 4th gen didn't have one so I never think about it

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just changed mine yesterday with the K&an filter, and did anyone have issues getting the filter door back on? It was a bear for me and that’s with me doing it in my driveway with plenty of space to crawl around. The left hand side latch was easy, but the right hand side was iffy. I actually had to force the latch to engage. I’m hoping it’s holding and/or the filter isn’t crushed in there.

I was also surprised how filthy the filter was with around 5500 miles on my truck.

JbVt

Reaction score
I changed mine a couple weeks ago with a FRAM Fresh Breeze filter. I couldn't believe how filthy the original one was. Little over 10k miles. I only had a slight problem with the right side clip coming off, not going on. I barely had to push on it to have it clip in. I gave it a good tug and it was secure.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Owner's Manual says to check/change the cabin filter every 20K miles. Mine gets dirty a lot quicker than that so I change it at every oil change (10K miles).

I used washable filters back in my younger years. Some of that was to save money and some of that was to use a "high performance" filter.

Now that I'm older (50+) I will gladly pay a "premium" to just toss the old filter and put in a new one instead of pull the filter, clean the filter, wait h-o-u-r-s for the filter to dry, then re-install the filter. Plus I also don't need to stock any cleaners for the filters either.

I also use the Fram (Fresh Breeze CF11671) and am happy with it. I'm not much of a Fram fan but this is "just" a cabin air filter and having the Arm & Hammer baking soda can't hurt odor control. I couldn't find any other filters that have anything that addressed odor control other than the filter media so went with the Fram. Now I put in a new one every 10K miles.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I might do the same as you guys and just replace it every 10k or so. I feel like I wasted my money a little on the K&N for maybe a recognizable name and the washing capability. But nothing beats throwing in a fresh new filter and discarding the old one!

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Is the airflow that much more "open" to the elements to get that dirty in 10k???

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't really notice an airflow difference when I put in a new filter but that's not the issue, it's that the media is full of garbage. At 10K miles my filter is dark and has leaves and other "nature debris" in it.

How well do you think your dryer is working when the lint trap is full?

Users who are viewing this thread