5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyless entry question

IgglesFan

Reaction score
I have read a number of other posts revolving around this topic but have not seen any info regarding the specific question I have.

I have a 21 Ram 1500 Big Horn, and it came with the remote start system, and according to the sticker "remote keyless entry". The remote start works fine. However, I have never been able to get the keyless entry to work (grab the doorhandle with key in pocket to unlock/lock the doors). It does have power door locks, which I can control by pressing the buttons on the key fob.

In the manual it says to enable it in uconnect settings. However I do not see the option to do so there, I'm guessing the code isnt programmed in which enables this.

However, I began questioning whether keyless entry was even really installed when I watched some Mopar instructional videos on how to use the keyless entry (and read the manual the manual), which both show a little button on the door handle. My truck does not have this. You can see my driver side door handle in the attached pictures.

So my plan was to either use AplhaOBD or the Dealership to program the code in to enable the keyless entry, but wanted to make sure I have the proper equipment installed (correct door handles with sensors and correct key fob) before I spend money on either of those options.

If anyone can provide any clarity on these question, I would be extremely gratetful!
ca4a19ced09c1936f18ee129051ec4c9.jpg
03429ad200b82eb42e4ee0becf36a24a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
keyless entry means you do not use a key to unlock the truck

you are thinking about passive entry
you can add it

nitmik

Reaction score
I had a 19 big horn with the same Keyless entry. Yours works the way it's supposed to. You don't have passive. You have to use your fob to unlock the doors.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This gets a lot of new Big Horn / Lone Star owners. Keyless just means you aren't physically putting a key into the door to unlock. The feature you are looking for is passive entry. You can add it if you are mechanically and electrically competent, otherwise it only comes in Laramie and up trims.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, what everyone else said. "Remote keyless entry" has been the term used since the 90s at least, I believe. Unless my memory is failing, but I could swear I saw that exact phrasing on my dads suburbans when I was a kid in the 90s that had the keyfob to unlock rather than having to use a physical key to enter.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

IgglesFan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys everyone! I guess that solves it. A bit misleading, but it makes sense. I appreciate the info!

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys everyone! I guess that solves it. A bit misleading, but it makes sense. I appreciate the info!

I think the misleading is based on individual's experiences. A lot of forum members had a misunderstanding between keyless and passive. My keyless entry came about from putting alarm systems in my vehicles, prior to that it was all keys. First keyless car was a 2006 Accord. My wife's 2017 Civic has passive entry which I find very nice.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How is it misleading? Do you use a key to open your doors? Nope, it's "keyless entry".

Obviously it was misleading to the OP. Otherwise they wouldn't have created this thread. It's an easy mistake to make. Especially so for people who consider the fob their "keys", and haven't ever really experienced needing to insert a key to lock/unlock their doors. For them, keyless might mean never needing to pull the fob out of their pocket.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously it was misleading to the OP. Otherwise they wouldn't have created this thread. It's an easy mistake to make. Especially so for people who consider the fob their "keys", and haven't ever really experienced needing to insert a key to lock/unlock their doors. For them, keyless might mean never needing to pull the fob out of their pocket.
I can understand that

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Keyless entry and remote entry are the same thing, just different terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread