5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keyless entry (door handle unlock)

ivory

Reaction score
2019 1500 laramie cre cab 4x4
have you guys ever had the option where you grab the drivers door handle with the key fob in your pocket not work then work sometimes? if so what did you do to fix it

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
When this has happened to me, I believe it was when my mobile phone was somewhat between the fob and the door.

Reverse

Reaction score
door will not unlock if you touch the inside and the outside of the handle at the same time (which is easy to do)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
door will not unlock if you touch the inside and the outside of the handle at the same time (which is easy to do)
This is not the case with any I've owned with proximity keyless entry, 4th or 5th gens. I can grab the entire handle and it unlocks.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had this issue many times. I only have 9500 miles and the battery shouldn't be weak at 1 year old. I took the truck in for this 6 months ago and the dealer couldn't replicate it. It happens to me all the time and I need to unlock the doors with the key fob rather than proximity. I'll get the truck in for this again sometime, but I'm taking it to a different dealer. I told the last dealer that I was also getting static in the right speaker and gave them the TSB. They returned my truck stating they can't apply a TSB just because a customer asks for it. whatever.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 2021 except the door won't lock with the push button on handle and only intermittently works with fob. I've traced this to the cargo lights. As others have had issues, it seems the previous owner used a cheap LED bulb for the cargo which interferes with the FOB and door lock/unlock.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 1500 laramie cre cab 4x4
have you guys ever had the option where you grab the drivers door handle with the key fob in your pocket not work then work sometimes? if so what did you do to fix it
If you have any metal in your pockets along with the key fob the metal will interfere with the signal. This includes cell phone other keys coins etc

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 6 keys on my FOB, never had one problem with the locks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have any metal in your pockets along with the key fob the metal will interfere with the signal. This includes cell phone other keys coins etc
No issues with mine when it's in my pocket with other metal objects. Several keys, nail clippers, loose change. Not saying it can't happen, just that I haven't experienced a problem with that.

For anyone with this issue, have you swapped any incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs? Like jzinckgra mentioned above, some brands seem to be worse than others. Lots of threads about that if you want to do a little research.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue after installing excellent quality LED cargo lights. Only happened a couple of times. We'll see if it keeps it up.

Users who are viewing this thread