5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEY NOT DETECTED WHILE IN POCKET?

YoutubeRealTimeReviews

Reaction score
So I've had my 2020 ram sport new body for 2 weeks. I'm facing my first issue, small but annoying. The "smart" key is in my pocket I goto start the truck and it says "key not detected". The damn key is in my pocket! It just starting doing this today. At times it works at times I have to put my key upto the push button start then it works. NOT COOL! I came from a Honda hearing things about ram reliability and this is concerning. I have 908km on my truck.

Is this normal?

U

User_3336

My Jeep Grand Cherokee will not open the door sometimes when the key fob is in my pocket.
Should not be a proximity issue.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Make sure you don’t have your cell phone in your pocket. My passive locks will not work on my Laramie sport if I have my cell phone in the same pocket. Will possibly keep the ignition from working also.

Kazoo

Reaction score
RFID Blocking wallets like the Ridge Wallet messes with signal...

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Short of equipment failure, what is possible. It could be interference from nearby RF sources ie, EMI?
Not much help, short of breaking out a spectrum analyzer to see whats around you. Does this happen just at your residency?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should have 2 keys...are they both having the same issue?

Rick J

Reaction score
Its not in the same pocket, I have had countless vehicles with prox keys and never had this issue, is this a known issue with the ram?
This is not a known/common problem. Especially with both key fobs. I know it's a longshot but you might change the battery in one of the fobs to see if that helps. Maybe they had a bad batch of batteries when they put yours together. Only other thing I can think of is take it to the dealer.

Rupp

Reaction score
Yep, I had the same issue and it was the battery.

radarme

Reaction score
So I've had my 2020 ram sport new body for 2 weeks. I'm facing my first issue, small but annoying. The "smart" key is in my pocket I goto start the truck and it says "key not detected". The damn key is in my pocket! It just starting doing this today. At times it works at times I have to put my key upto the push button start then it works. NOT COOL! I came from a Honda hearing things about ram reliability and this is concerning. I have 908km on my truck.

Is this normal?
Have you replaced the cargo lights or 3rd brake light with led bulbs? I started getting the key not detected after I installed those... very sporadic... not often enough to bother me though.

Kevlars

Reaction score
Also if your garage door opener light is LED. Have a BMW 5 series that started acting up when I put the LED’s in. It’s not just a Ram issue, something about the frequencies of some LED’s that interfere with the signal.

Last edited:

deberwein2

Reaction score
I am having same issue where I can remote start truck get in hit brake and it dies. It tell me that FOB not detected. Even touching the FOB to the start button is not working. I have replaced the battery twice now. All functions on the FOB work; remote start, lock and unlock, tailgate open, and passive entry.
It has been at the dealer now for three days and they are telling me they cannot find an issue.

2019 ram 2500 Laramie
Granite
12k miles

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive read this happen when lights bulbs changed to led .. Like its happening to me today and i changed my 3rd brake light to led

Cmcx2011

Reaction score
I am having same issue where I can remote start truck get in hit brake and it dies. It tell me that FOB not detected. Even touching the FOB to the start button is not working. I have replaced the battery twice now. All functions on the FOB work; remote start, lock and unlock, tailgate open, and passive entry.
It has been at the dealer now for three days and they are telling me they cannot find an issue.

2019 ram 2500 Laramie
Granite
12k miles
Hope it works out for you. Curious to know what the resolution will be...

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They will need these short handed chips to make new key fobs. They are gonna have to resolve this issue. I would be sick if my truck didn’t start

5thGenShadow

Reaction score
I have the same issue, i can open and lock the doors no problem, i can remote start but have to press the start with the key fob, but to start normally, i have to press the key fob to the start button. I replaced the batteries in both keys and that didn't fix it. I don't have a problem with the truck shutting off. If i have a passenger get in or out, when they close the door with a little bit of force, i get a notification that the key fob has left the truck... The dealer has had it for a week and no update yet as to what it is:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread