5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fobs not responding

Drummond73

Reaction score
Both my key fobs suddenly stopped responding to 21 Laramie. Both fobs light up when buttons pushed, but no response from truck. Passive entry works & truck starts, so it still recognizes fob. Any ideas?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is it everywhere or a specific place, several months back I has a some what similar issue at work for a couple of weeks only and only at work. maybe some thing was getting in the way of the signal, they went back to working normally

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
have you tried to change the battery in them, even do they are working, maybe the battery is too low to work proprelly

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If in a garage only with LED Lights on over head will interfere with fobs for sure as well as garage door openers. Also, you can take the end of your key fob and press it against the start button with ignition in access and will rest your fob too (if Batteries are good in Fobs) or maybe in off position of ignition.... one or the other.

Drummond73

Reaction score
Disconnecting the 12v battery cleared out whatever issue I was having & fobs now work as normal. Prior to that, I did try pressing the start button with the fob.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Disconnecting the 12v battery cleared out whatever issue I was having & fobs now work as normal. Prior to that, I did try pressing the start button with the fob.
Glad you got it figured out. I was going to recommend disconnecting the trucks battery for a few minutes. I'm a fleet vehicle mechanic and service approximately 200 RAM promaster vans and we have to do this from time to time when the fobs stop working

stickman77

Reaction score
But the root issue was not fixed. Question is, why did they both happen to go out in the first place? It happened to me too and I planned on taking the truck in but first I would try and to the reset negative cable. Did that and the fobs worked again. This still didn't sit well with me since hearing horror stories of people having their RF module going out on them and leaving them stranded. I travel a lot for work and can't afford to be thousands miles away from home on a deserted highway and have the module go bad. Service dept didn't know what was going on and I didn't see any leaks myself. Truck is now sold.

Boyvan

Reaction score
I read somewhere in owner's manual that your key fob shouldn't be close to your cell phone (or other blue tooth (?) devices) because it will interfere with the signal. I had an issue with my key fob and realized that sometimes I put my phone in the same pocket as my key fob. Now I keep an eye on them and dont let them get close to each other.....:ROFLMAO:.......key fob issues have since vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread