5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob

Reaction score
Hello all
I did a search but nothing came up. The issue is that my wife (Long story) lost her key fob. The truck is a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn crew cab 4x4 with the level 2 equipment group. CDJR dealerships have no fobs. According to them over 200 are on back order nationwide. Supposedly there is a container ship coming into California very soon, but, no one to unload it so they are guessing 2 months. But really have no clue. And of course they are made of gold and almost $400 with tax and programing.

So my question is, has anyone found a alternative (That is hopefully cheaper) that works and can be programed by the dealership? The person at the dealership even recommended an alternative, because he really has no clue when he will see one.

Thank you all for the help. I know there is alternatives and I have not looked yet, I wanted to post here first, so I could maybe get first hand experience from someone who is using a good one.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there is any alternative to OEM fobs. Could be wrong, I'm sure others will chime in.

One thing I am sure of is that used fobs will not work. There are a ton of them for sale on eBay and such pretty cheap. Once a fob is programmed to a vehicle it cannot be reprogrammed for a different vehicle. Don't buy used.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did your truck come with a 2nd fob? They used to buy at some point to save on chips, that got cut back

As far as alternative options….. your best option is find your fob.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The fob is road kill on the highway somewhere in Jacksonville FL. 150 miles away. I had to drive to Jacksonville that night to give her my key (Yes the truck came with 2) I wasn't going to bother looking for it at night on those highways in the rain, unless I had a death wish. Of course I would like to have 2, which is why I am looking for a replacement.

After some searching last night, there are plenty of alternatives. I am looking at a bran new aftermarket replacement, good reviews, and guaranteed to work. Probably not as good as the OEM but it would just be my spare anyway. Need to have the backup obviously. Plus it is a lot cheaper. Also discovered that not just the dealer can program them, in fact the place that sells the new fob offers a list of places other than dealers that can program them.

Thanks for the help. I will try and remember to post back and let you all know how it works out.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Locksmiths can program the fob also. That's an option to explore if your dealership tries to gouge you. Some will charge a lot more than MannyN's dealership.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Locksmiths can program the fob also. That's an option to explore if your dealership tries to gouge you. Some will charge a lot more than MannyN's dealership.
$200 for a 2006 Honda Accord at the dealership years ago.

BayouCub

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The fob is road kill on the highway somewhere in Jacksonville FL. 150 miles away. I had to drive to Jacksonville that night to give her my key (Yes the truck came with 2) I wasn't going to bother looking for it at night on those highways in the rain, unless I had a death wish. Of course I would like to have 2, which is why I am looking for a replacement.

After some searching last night, there are plenty of alternatives. I am looking at a bran new aftermarket replacement, good reviews, and guaranteed to work. Probably not as good as the OEM but it would just be my spare anyway. Need to have the backup obviously. Plus it is a lot cheaper. Also discovered that not just the dealer can program them, in fact the place that sells the new fob offers a list of places other than dealers that can program them.

Thanks for the help. I will try and remember to post back and let you all know how it works out.
Any update on key fob? Could you tell us where you got it and if it worked?

Users who are viewing this thread