5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Replacement

packmanno1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Lone Star with the keyless start. I lost one of my key fobs and I am looking into getting a replacement. I have a few questions...
- Can I get a used key fob (say from eBay or a junkyard) and have it programmed? Or does it have to be a new key fob?
- Does anyone have experience with what a dealer and/or locksmith charges to program a key fob?
- I found this site that offers new and refurbished key fobs - https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2019-dodge-ram-smart-remote-key-68291687ae-refurbished.html. Does anyone have experience buying from this site?

Thanks

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can not reprogram it is in the owner's manual. There is a thread on this topic. I don't have good luck with the search engine.

Hallbag

Reaction score
Check if you have the mopar extended warranty. The maxcare comes with 3 key fob replacements.

And I would double check with the re-programming because I believe you can. My original fob was stolen (long story) and to be extra safe I got a new fob plus reprogrammed the old one that I still had in my possession. FYI, if you’re afraid someone has your key, you actually need to replace all the physical locks which is expensive as hell. I didn’t go this route, just changed the programming.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory fob isn't cheap. Dealer threw in a second fob as part of my deal (used truck). The invoice in it, including the programming, was close to $700.

Jako

Reaction score

Last edited:

Zogg44

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Lone Star with the keyless start. I lost one of my key fobs and I am looking into getting a replacement. I have a few questions...
- Can I get a used key fob (say from eBay or a junkyard) and have it programmed? Or does it have to be a new key fob?
- Does anyone have experience with what a dealer and/or locksmith charges to program a key fob?
- I found this site that offers new and refurbished key fobs - https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2019-dodge-ram-smart-remote-key-68291687ae-refurbished.html. Does anyone have experience buying from this site?

Thanks
I bought my 2019 Limited used and it only had one key fob, and the dealer recommended carandtruckremotes.com (it was a non-Ram dealer). I bought a fob from them, and had it programmed by a mobile locksmith and it works like a champ. I use it every day. It was $139 plus tax/shipping, then $180 for the locksmith.

packmanno1

Reaction score
Can not reprogram it is in the owner's manual. There is a thread on this topic. I don't have good luck with the search engine.
I searched on 'key', 'fob', 'key fob' and no results. So I assumed there was not a thread. After seeing Jako's response below, I searched on 'keys' and 'fobs' and got results.

Jako

Reaction score
I searched on 'key', 'fob', 'key fob' and no results. So I assumed there was not a thread. After seeing Jako's response below, I searched on 'keys' and 'fobs' and got results.
Search doesn't work well for me either. I was able to go through posts that I had responded to. I've had better luck using google to find posts on the 5th gen forum than the forums search engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/