5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Range Question

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Hi all... Couple quick questions, I have a new to me 2020 1500 Laramie (coming from a 2019 Classic Big Horn) and while I do love the keyless entry I have a question/issue

I can lock/unlock/remote start from inside the house, inside work with no issue but when exiting the truck if I have the key fob in my hoodie 8/10 times I cannot lock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle. I can always lock it instantly with the keyfob. When approaching the truck I have never had a issue unlocking the doors by simply touching the handle with the keys in my pocket. When starting the truck I get the "key fob not detected" message maybe 4/10 times, usually on the second push it will work normal. I replaced the keyfob battery with a quality energizer and it was the same before/after... no change at all

This normal with 5th gens?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all... Couple quick questions, I have a new to me 2020 1500 Laramie (coming from a 2019 Classic Big Horn) and while I do love the keyless entry I have a question/issue

I can lock/unlock/remote start from inside the house, inside work with no issue but when exiting the truck if I have the key fob in my hoodie 8/10 times I cannot lock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle. I can always lock it instantly with the keyfob. When approaching the truck I have never had a issue unlocking the doors by simply touching the handle with the keys in my pocket. When starting the truck I get the "key fob not detected" message maybe 4/10 times, usually on the second push it will work normal. I replaced the keyfob battery with a quality energizer and it was the same before/after... no change at all

It's normal for all vehicles when there is interference with the radio signal. FOB too close to your cell phone is the most common. Another one is too many extra keys. I have only had the issue a few times in the almost 4 years with my truck. So, no, it isn't normal at all.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I almost almost have my keys in right pocket and cell phone in left pocket. There are only 3 keys total on my keyfob. Ill try and hold my phone far away from the keys and see if it helps with the issue

Rob

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

For locking the truck with the door handle you need to wait 2-5 seconds AFTER the door shuts to be able to lock it with the button.
If I close the door and hit the button it does nothing

Not sure about the key fob not detected message inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online