5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob question

simpson

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Ram the other day. Received 2 key fobs for the push button start. I was disappointed that I still have to pull the fob out of my pocket and manually press the unlock key. Wife has a 'Yota Highlander and the vehicle senses the key is close and will unlock when you pull the handle. Also has a spot on the handle that you can push to lock the door when you close it. We also have a '12 Charger that does pretty much the same thing. With the push button start, it is nice to just leave the key fob in your pocket when approaching, starting, and leaving the vehicle. Has Ram ever acted this way or have you always had to manually press the unlock button on the remote?

simpson

Reaction score
And sorry if this has been asked before. I tried the search function for key and key fob, but it returns no results. Other search terms seem to work fine, but nothing on keys???

19 North

Reaction score
How are you at DIY?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. No passive entry on a Big Horn. I think it's available on the Rebel and higher trims. One of my only disappointments with my truck. It's my fault for assuming push button start automatically meant it had passive entry too, but every other FCA vehicle I've ever had those features were always bundled together.

As posted by 19 North, you can add the feature if you're not afraid of a little DIY. My truck is a short term lease so I didn't bother.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just picked up my new Ram the other day. Received 2 key fobs for the push button start. I was disappointed that I still have to pull the fob out of my pocket and manually press the unlock key. Wife has a 'Yota Highlander and the vehicle senses the key is close and will unlock when you pull the handle. Also has a spot on the handle that you can push to lock the door when you close it. We also have a '12 Charger that does pretty much the same thing. With the push button start, it is nice to just leave the key fob in your pocket when approaching, starting, and leaving the vehicle. Has Ram ever acted this way or have you always had to manually press the unlock button on the remote?
It’s an option , I have it on mine and a friend has it on their Sport so I know that the Sport/Rebel and higher trims can get it .

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like such a little thing, but that's just one of the reasons I never even considered a Big Horn.

KedawbeeRam

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2021 ram 1500 and I just walk up to it Pull on the door handle and it opens. The same happens when I go to open the tailgate it’s senses on there and opens. Hope that helps

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2021 ram 1500 and I just walk up to it Pull on the door handle and it opens. The same happens when I go to open the tailgate it’s senses on there and opens. Hope that helps
It's called Remote Proximity Keyless Entry, and it's not something that's offered on the Big Horn. It's standard on the Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited, and an option on the Rebel.

What trim level is your 1500? It helps everyone if you put your truck details in your signature. Then people don't have to ask about your truck if you ever post a question about it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You're lucky to get 2 keys. I had read that trucks made after March 21' would only get 1 fob due to the chip shortage.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I remote start most of the time, since the fob is still in my hand I press unlock. It's the poor mans proximity

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I was disappointed in no proximity entry in my Big Horn when I first got it. I've gotten used to unlocking with the FOB now though. So much so, that when driving my wife's car, which has the proximity entry, I forget and use the FOB to lock and unlock it.

Moe1962

Reaction score
I just reach into my pocket that has the FOB in it and push the unlock button as I approach my truck. No need to take the FOB out. Its the first button on top (away from the other keys) so now it's just a habit. When I get out of the truck, I normally just push the button on the inside door to lock it. It's almost always parked in a secure area, but when it's not, I use the FOB to lock it.

Users who are viewing this thread